Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags, Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
grain spawn revisited
    #4328257 - 06/23/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Last week i posted about a grain problem. i have four rye bags and three decided not to colonize for whatever reason. But one bag colonized nicely. I was told to make a flowhood and break up the colonized bag and spawn it to the other bags. Well i dont have the time or resources to do that with a flow hood, but do you think i could spawn with a colonized pf cake instead and take my chances? What percent of failure do you think i would have if i did the spawn in an enclosed closet sprayed with lysol. I would cut a cake into thirds and use it to spawn the three bags and then reseal them. I dont want to waste the rye bag that is colonized because i really want a good casing done for july 3rd.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: grain spawn revisited [Re: carl]
    #4328274 - 06/23/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Depends on other variables, like what strain your using, is the closet carpeted? Is it hepa filtered? Id say that if you're very paranoid about sterility, you'll likely come out successful with at least one bag, but likely not all 3.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4328280 - 06/23/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I didnt say you needed a flowhood, just really sterile conditions. A flowhood, glovebox, or a clean room with no air flow was what I said you needed. I do all my work in the bathroom (no carpets) cleaned out and all a/c, fans, open windows, heaters, ect should be off.

Any colonized grain will work, and a small clean empty closet would probably do pretty well with grain to grain transfers...they may or may not survive, depends on you. Whatever you use, break it up as good as you can (which is why the bags easier, you can break it all up before you open any bags) and mix 10% colonized grains into the sterile bags. You wouldnt need to use all the bag..but I dont think a third of a 1/2 pint would be enough, IMO..it might work but its very little spawn, of course it depends how much grain is in each bag.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: grain spawn revisited [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4328380 - 06/23/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Alright. Here is my game plan. Cleaning down my whole bathroom with lysol. Opening up three pf jars directly into a bag to be broken up. THe rye bags will be opened for as short a time as possible. Pf jars will be spawned to the rye and immediatly sealed and placed back in the incubator. So we will have a full cake for each bag of grain. I really dont care if i lose the bags as long as i made the effort to keep them. Its good training for later. Does that sound, sound?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4328408 - 06/23/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sound? yes... make sure you are clean as well, id improvise some sort of germ mask and hair net, and wear sterile gloves as well.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: grain spawn revisited [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4328545 - 06/23/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Alright... i will do that later today and give an update on contams later. thanks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags, Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains