Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePokerShrooms
not a stranger,just strangerthan most

bulk substrate question using small container
    #4306129 - 06/17/05 01:31 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

before making a huge mistake/waste of time, i would like to know if anyone has had success with this type of mission: taking a dozen or so half pinters (freshly sterilized) crumbling into either a sealable tupperware or small storage container, crumbling a couple colonized cakes onto it and letting that spread into a giant pile of substrate. any luck out there, or would the risks outweigh the benefits?

--------------------
never let life get you down. when the world starts screwing with you, get back at it by pooping in a bird nest.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

Re: bulk substrate question using small container [Re: PokerShrooms]
    #4306142 - 06/17/05 01:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Dozen or so half pinters of what?..... and crumbling a couple colonized cakes(PF?)....

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflinePokerShrooms
not a stranger,just strangerthan most

Re: bulk substrate question using small container [Re: Quiescence]
    #4306157 - 06/17/05 01:45 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

all are wbs/verm mixture.

--------------------
never let life get you down. when the world starts screwing with you, get back at it by pooping in a bird nest.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4306188 - 06/17/05 01:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ohhh. So this isn't really a bulk question. Bulk would mean like straw..poo..

Ok.. yea dont try it in a tupperware container.. you will just get contams. What you want to do is a G2G(grain to grain) transfer. You will only need one of the colonized jars.. maybe two. Depends on how many jars you want to do. Take the fully colonized cake and transfer some of it to the uncolonized jar by quickly lifting the lid... then close the lid quickly. You will need a pretty sterile place to do this. A glove box would be a really good idea... but you can get away without it. I do it in my bathroom.. but I clean it REALLY well. Look up more info about G2G transfers.

That will make those jars colonize much faster than normal. Once they are all done... make one big casing in your tupperware container.  :thumbup:

Did I cover it all?

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4306291 - 06/17/05 02:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
Ok.. yea dont try it in a tupperware container.. you will just get contams.
~Quiescence~

actually reynolds and tupperware and anything with a triangle 5 is good to go for PC. I buy most my deli meat in em and then use em. nothing wrong with tupperware so long as it has the little recycle triangle with a 5 in the middle

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: bulk substrate question using small container [Re: xburn]
    #4306319 - 06/17/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would strongly recommend not trying to use a giant tupperware container with 3 quarts or more (=12 1/2pinters) in a PC. You are asking for trouble.

Use the jars.

~Quiescence~

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4307647 - 06/17/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yeah true the steam takes longer to penatrate. i am talking about he ones that are about a pint.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk substrate question using small container [Re: xburn]
    #4307662 - 06/17/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

>I would strongly recommend not trying to use a giant tupperware container with 3 quarts or more (=12 1/2pinters) in a PC.

There are many who strongly recommend doing this exact thing. Personally I prefer my pickle jars with 4 quarts in each.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: bulk substrate question using small container [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4307700 - 06/17/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was saying since he was someone that is just starting out... Trying to PC a large amount of grain in a container that could melt if it rests on the sides.. in a presumeably small PC seemed like it would cause more problems then just using jars.

People really use big tupperware containers in a PC? I guess since I have easy access to all kinds of canning jars that I wouldn't have thought to try it. How long would you PC 3+ quarts in a tupperware bin?

~Quiescence~

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4307723 - 06/17/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

They dont melt if they're on their sides. Plastic with a PP5, can be used just like anything. Beginner or not, you can PC grains in whatever container you want. In fact, this way you could eliminate some steps in the casing process...just make them, inject and when they grow, throw on casing mix and fruit..3 quarts really isnt much either...thats a little shoebox sized casing.

I PC a 4 quart jar and 6 single quart jars in a batch for 2 hours, so that should be enough for some 3 quart glad containers. The reason I dont like the gladware container ideas is you lose a little more space, meaning a few more PC runs if you do alot of it or have a small PC.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineInterested
Stranger
    #4308228 - 06/17/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've done just this with a 5L tupperware container, filled about 3L full of PC'd popcorn with 1Q colonized popcorn. I did the transfer in open air. Two times it worked perfectly (no contamination, myc rapidly grew through container) and the third time it failed (extreme sweet smell, stalled myc growth). For what it's worth, I strongly suspect that the third time failed because of excess water -- the popcorn was far too wet.

Assuming I wasn't just unusually lucky the first two times, this seems to be a reasonable way to get large quantities of colonized substrate when you're stuck with a small PC.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation