Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Loc: Mushroom planet
How good is Worm Castings for bulk substrate
    #592458 - 03/29/02 12:51 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I recently bought some worm castings and I plan to use them for bulk substrate. Have any of you guys had good results with worm castings? I have already seen the bulk substrate tek using wormcastings and straw at the sporeworks and im not looking for that, but for people that have had experience and success with worm castings.

How wet should the worm castings be? I noticed that when I put water on some castings it can get all clumpy and dont break apart into smaller chunks easily. Is this too wet? I would think getting it to be almost like moist soil would be best, no? Like millet or rye sized little clumps. Any help would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Loc: Mushroom planet
Re: How good is Worm Castings for bulk substrate [Re: BlueBruiser]
    #595691 - 04/01/02 04:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone have ANY info?

OfflineDrCubensis
Male

#4415994 - 07/17/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm making an experiment here.

I'm using worms castings mixed with peat moss without sterilizing or pasteurizing.

--------------------

"Ever tried. Ever failed. Never mind. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett.

Edited by DrCubensis (07/17/05 05:46 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How good is Worm Castings for bulk substrate [Re: DrCubensis]
    #4416172 - 07/17/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Worm castings probably come in the bag with the correct water content. Alone they arent a great substrate. Add some coir and verm and you help out the texture a bit, straw too. You'll want to pasteurize it (need to if you add straw) and get it to the correct water content, a handfull when squeezed lightly should only drip a few drops of water. Texture should be fiberous (coco coir and straw) and fluffy (verm and coir/straw), no lumps or pellets, except the grains you spawn with. And even then your not looking at an optimal bulk substrate like field collected horse poo.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Re: How good is Worm Castings for bulk substrate [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4416481 - 07/17/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

My worm castings colonized okay, but near the end of my spawn run they all 3 got hit hard by mean green =( Other things like lack of air exchange played a role in that though.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

OfflineDrCubensis
Male

#4417931 - 07/18/05 03:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the info.

I just heared success histories with my buik substrate in spanish forums and I just wanted to try.

--------------------

"Ever tried. Ever failed. Never mind. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate