Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

lucid dreaming & electronics
    #4166335 - 05/12/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Why is it that most techniques that are used to find out if you're dreaming or not revolve around electronics? Especially the one where you switch a light on or off, and if nothing happens then its most probably a dream... Or there's also the one with the watch, where you take a look at your watch, then a second later you take another look and if the time isn't the same, then you're dreaming...I also remember that one time, as I was listening to a CD player, when I decided to put the CD back in its case, the CD kept on emitting music..I was like "WTF! something's not right here!" But then I asked myself if i was dreaming and indeed I was.

So what's up with all that? I'm especially curious to hear what you guys have to say concerning the light switch phenomenon.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: exclusive58]
    #4166375 - 05/12/05 03:03 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I didn't "found out" I was lucid dreaming, I just sort of went along as if it was something natural.

The ultra real images and decision making felt so natural to me and I knew I was creating it and dreaming it, but still all through the filter of my dreaming self. It is different from when you realise something when awake.

Perhapse I was just dreaming that I was having a lucid dream, does that have any difference from actually having a lucid dream?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4166405 - 05/12/05 03:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Have you any loinks for lucid dreaming?

--------------------

Offlinejsb
Stranger
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: MovingTarget]
    #4166423 - 05/12/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

read carlos casteneda's book "the art of dreaming". there are some pretty good techniques in there, such as wearing a silver ring, and becoming used to what it feels like to actually fall asleep. he describes it as a gentle rolling feeling as if you were rolling down into a shallow ditch. but the best is the technique for making yourself aware that you are dreaming. he suggests, or rather don juan suggests, grabbing your penis in your dreams as a way to achieve lucidity.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4166426 - 05/12/05 03:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Why is it that most techniques that are used to find out if you're dreaming or not revolve around electronics?

I've had lucid dreams since I was a little haploid. I've never tried to have these dreams, they usually occur spontaneously when something so outrageous happens in the dream that a part of me stops and refuses to accept it as rational. After that, it's a short leap of reason to conclude I'm dreaming. THEN the fun starts!

The first time this happened to me was after watching some scary movie while on vacation with friends. I was maybe 12. In the dream I was being chased by the creature from the movie. I was running from it, but it was like I was submerged in molasses; all my movements took enormous effort and I wasn't making much headway. As the creature got closer and I realized it was going to catch me, I changed tack and turned to confront it figuring that I'd have a better chance that way than being caught from behind.

In the process, I became angry and in desperation, I went on the offensive toward the creature. The absurdity of this situation made me realize that there are no such things as creatures. The fear left me, the creature hesitated, then I lost awareness of it as I realized what an amazing opportunity I now had in that I was dreaming and aware of it.

So, I decided that in my dream, I could fly; took a running start and jumped into the air, and I've never looked back.

I've had lucid dreams fairly consistently a couple times a month or so all my life. I love them.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: MovingTarget]
    #4166433 - 05/12/05 03:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Who, me? Nope, I can search google as you can, but I'd bet the french stoned alien has some  :wink:

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #4166491 - 05/12/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i never did the light switch thing in a dream. usually something out of the ordinary happens and i realize its a dream. lucid dreaming is one of the coolest and underrated idea out there

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4166533 - 05/12/05 03:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4166560 - 05/12/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This didn't happen while lucid dreaming, but still it was strange. In my dream I was on my commputer playing DoD and switching into windows and multi tasking, and there was no lag it was INSTANT, just thought it was strange because in my waking state my computer is slow as hell when I do that.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4166667 - 05/12/05 04:09 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What is it with the light switch thing? :lol: I started lucid dreaming as a little jigglet too before I knew it had a name or heard others talk about it.

I distinctly remember one episode where I was having a bad dream and was forcing myself to wake up. I thought I did wake up and then heaved a sigh of relief and relaxed. Then the bad stuff started coming into play again. I went into another forced wake up and this repeated a few times. I didn't trust the dream wake ups anymore and thought to flip the light switch to check. Finger went right through. Finally, I didn't relax that time and forced an actually wake up out of it.

Why is it people think to go to the light switch? I was just a kid. We are taught to ask someone to pinch us to check if we are dreaming, not flip light switches. :lol:

I loved your reply diploid. That's another question. Why do so many of us choose to fly when we realize we are lucid dreaming? Think of all the things we could pick to do and we seem to naturally go straight for flying.

My daughter started lucid dreaming over the last two nights. She loves it and she heard me talk about it before so she knew she could start making anything happen. She went for the fly by feel in the pool. She couldn't stay up. She said as she went for it she had a fear of falling. That fear kept her from getting lift I guess. Funny how she was lucid, yet could not reason that she had control over not falling.

I told her with practice and experience she'll get he knack of flying.

I had rough starts to. Never got to high, flew slow and it went like swimming in the air doggy paddle style. Now I can just think to be on another planet and am instantly there or can experience flying at light speed. That is quite a sensation and rush. I had myself dozens of galaxies away in about 3 seconds. Oh fuck was that cool to watch it all go by like that.

Here's my question. We have fun with it but how we can use it to benefit our waking life?

I'm already playing with applying lucid dream states for instant manifesting in waking life and it's powerful stuff. I know at least moonshoe has been too.  I did learn that I am not yet ready for that sort of manifesting speed in the waking time. I can't seem to dismmis fears and concerns as easily when awake as I can in lucid dreams states.

When we manifest slowly here, we have more time to reconsider and readjust our plans and actions as stuff comes up we didn't think of. If you go close to instant speed your world may crumble faster then you can reconsider and readjust.

Here's a dilemma. Why is it that there are no negative consequences when lucid dream manifesting? In a lucid dream, I  can manifest a bakery and eat away and not have to pay or gain weight. Are we controlling them too and if we are there, why can't we do the same when awake, or can we and I am just not trusting enough yet?

Anyone else working on this?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4166749 - 05/12/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Our waking life, .. is this lucid dreaming you talk about.. :smile:

"""Perhapse I was just dreaming that I was having a lucid dream, does that have any difference from actually having a lucid dream? """

:wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: Gomp]
    #4166762 - 05/12/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

""Anyone else working on this? ""

its my entire life 'quest'.. :smile:

we can..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4166979 - 05/12/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

then start talking on what you haven't already told me. Fear of experiencing typical consequences is such a habit in waking life.

The other problem is managing the added speed and excess.

However, a little birdie whispered in my ear this morning, something cool about a new timing mechanism being installed right now in their planetary grid and while we sleep. This may act as an auto correct adjust for the second dilemma.

That may help to alleviate a lot of the fear related to the first dilemma, maybe all of it.

I'm still tripping hard on the download from that image an message.

Ya know how skeptics of some radical shift say there is no way such radical change can happen in short time? (I fell into doubt over the last few years myself regarding the whole planet.) A new timing mechanism would fix that.

It's like we are going through a virtual time warp right now up through July and a new time field is being established. Our clocks and cycles will run the same. It just has to do with being able to ram more creative energy into play into this space time field. It may be wobbly and bumpy with a lot of bizzaro fluxing and instability for a spell, but worth it when we come through and restabalize.

Supposedly we hit a critical mass of some sort last Dec that will allow for everyone alive up through July to get in on this one. It'll be subtle and only really noticed from hindsight if at all.

Anyone feeling the pressure squeeze or the wobble fluxing or waking sleep nights? (Your hosts apologize for the lack of sleep and the problem will be remedied soon)

I've had a few cool instability time flux experiences lately. This one blows me away. Bout twice a month I drive down a certain street. Sometimes, one store is in the place of a certain strip mall and sometimes, a different store is there. It flips between the two and one of them is moved to a different spot in the same mall when the other one is in it's place.

I love that shit. I can't remember the other one now.

Anyone getting those flashes of light zooming past you that look like birds? My daughter has been too. Maybe its some weird fluxing around my house.

oops, sorry if I got a tad off topic. Back to electronics and lucid dreaming.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4167024 - 05/12/05 05:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
""Anyone else working on this? ""

its my entire life 'quest'.. :smile:

we can.. 

Yes, me too. :grin: :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4167127 - 05/12/05 05:51 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

a timing mechanism being installed? by who?
i get those flashes of light zooming past me as well...

Anyway, I enjoy reading everyone's lucid dreaming experiences, and I admit that my first time realizing I was dreaming had nothing to do with electronics. Actually, the very first time i lucid dreamed lasted only about a second or 2, and i was floating in outer space near what seemed to be the sun..but the fact that i was aware in my dream came in as a shock so i immediately woke up...

and the second time was the first time i was able to consciously make descisions in a dream, and what made me realize that i was dreaming is kind of funny: i was hanging out with this girl and it seemed that i was incredibly in love with her..but the fact that i was experiencing such a beautiful relationship seemed kind of strange to me  :grin: i guess its because its something a bit unusual for me  :frown: but anyway, i tried to start flying but my feet seemed like they were attached to cement or something, so i didn't succeed.

But then Shroomism told me that next time i should try and imagine that i had rockets at my feet, and it worked. maybe that could be some good advice for your daughter?

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: Icelander]
    #4167143 - 05/12/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I find lucid dreams to be very interesting, but I don't think I've ever realized I was dreaming through electronic means. On the other hand, I've only been lucid a handful of times. But the ones I've had I found myself wanting to stay in that dreamland forever. It was just so amazing.

I had one not to long ago where I was walking along the beach with this girl I know and I looked up and saw the moon eclipsed, then I saw two other moons spiraling around each other. Then I said "This has got to be a dream" and then BAM, I'm lucid.

My only problem is I have trouble staying asleep when I realize it, I get to excited I guess. It was actually really weird in this particular case. I told myself to not wake up, but I couldn't help but open my eyes, but when I did this I was still asleep, yet could see around my room. I couldn't really move, and the moment I closed my eyes again I was in a dream state It was interesting, but that too could have been a dream, I don't really remember.

And remember, lucid dreaming is not knowing you are dreaming, its dreaming you know you are dreaming. :nut: :nut:

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4167175 - 05/12/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Here's my question. We have fun with it but how we can use it to benefit our waking life?

from lucidity.com:

"Rehearsal

Lucid dreaming is an extraordinarily vivid form of mental imagery, so realistic that the trick is to realize it is a mental construct. It is no surprise, therefore, that many people use lucid dreaming to rehearse for success in waking life. Examples of such applications include public speaking, difficult confrontations, artistic performance and athletic prowess. Because the activity of the brain during a dreamed activity is the same as during the real event, neuronal patterns of activation required for a skill (like a ski jump or pirouette) can be established in the dream state in preparation for performance in the waking world.

Creativity and Problem Solving

The creative potential of dreams is legendary. The brain is highly active in REM sleep and unconstrained by sensory input, which together may contribute to the novel combinations of events and objects we experience as dream bizarreness. This same novelty allows thought to take on forms that are rare in waking life, manifesting as enhanced creativity, or defective thinking depending on one's point of view (As Roland Fisher put it, "One man's creativity is another's brain damage."). The claim of enhanced creativity of the dream state is supported by LI research: One study found word associations immediately after awakening from a dream to be 29% more likely to be uncommon compared to word associations later in the day (NightLight, 6.4, 1994). Another study comparing a variety of kinds of experience including daydreams, memories of actual events, and dreams, found that dreams were judged as being significantly more creative than both daydreams and memories (NL, 4.1, 1992). In any case, many lucid dreamers report using dreams for problem solving and artistic inspiration; see EWLD for a variety of examples.

Healing

The effects of visual imagery on the body are well-established. Just as skill practice in a dream can enhance waking performance, healing dream imagery may improve physical health. Medical patients have often used soothing and positive imagery to alleviate pain, and the dream world offers the most vivid form of imagery. Thus, some people have use lucid dreams in overcoming phobias, working with grief, decreasing social and sexual anxieties, achieving greater self-confidence and by directing the body image in the dream to facilitate physical healing. The applications, which are described in greater detail in EWLD, deserve clinical study, as they may be the greatest boon that lucid dreaming has to offer. Other potential healing applications of lucid dreaming include: practice of physical skills by stroke and spinal cord injury patients to encourage recovery of neuromuscular function, enjoyment of sexual satisfaction by people with lower body sensory loss (fully satisfying dream sex requires only mental stimulation!), more rapid recovery from injury or disease through the use of lucid dream imagery, and an increased sense of freedom for anyone who feels limited by disability or circumstance.

Transcendence

The experience of being in a lucid dream clearly demonstrates the astonishing fact that the world we see is a construct of our minds. This concept, so elusive when sought in waking life, is the cornerstone of spiritual teachings. It forces us to look beyond everyday experience and ask, "If this is not real, what is?" Lucid dreaming, by so baldly baring a truth that many spend lives seeking, often triggers spiritual questioning in people who try it for far more mundane purposes. Not only does lucid dreaming lead to questioning the nature of reality, but for many it also has been a source of transcendent experience. Exalted and ecstatic states are common in lucid dreams. EWLD presents several cases of individuals achieving states of union with the Highest, great peace and a new sense of their roles in life.
"

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4167244 - 05/12/05 06:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for posting that. It gave me few new ideas if I can just remember them when I go lucid.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4167486 - 05/12/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

But then Shroomism told me that next time i should try and imagine that i had rockets at my feet, and it worked.

That's a great idea and a variation of a technique I use when I can't quite get off the ground during a dream. Instead of rockets on my feet, I imagine myself in the cockpit of a 747. Works every time!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: lucid dreaming & electronics [Re: Diploid]
    #4167518 - 05/12/05 07:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I just start thinking "faster higher" and I get lift.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology