Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: MokshaMan]
    #413360 - 10/04/01 06:01 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

not real deep, some kind of fishtank. amazing to watch though man, this baby (others too but they didn't show the film) was so comfortable in the water, moved really naturally when on dry land it couldn't even roll over yet.

as to the first question i don't know, but i think it was quite a breakthrough for me to realise that plants are AWARE. plants have senses just as we do, they have senses of light and dark, heat and cold, chemical sensors for finding nutrients in the ground....who knows what other senses they have?

like a cat has a sense organ that is completely foreign to us: whiskers!! we have theories of what whiskers do but really we can't begin to comprehend the cat's world because the cats are picking up information we have no idea about....maybe they use their whiskers to communicate directly with GOD, who after all is probably a giant cat, to the cats.

sorry i talk a lot of crap. actually i'm not really sorry, but the fact remains.

goodnight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: RedHarvest]
    #413372 - 10/04/01 06:15 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i think one day a moron decided to take mushrooms and now we have your dainty little theory. humans are capable of ANYTHING and the older they get, the more dangerous they are. if a human does NOT know something and wants to know it, that knowledge WILL be had-regardless.

:frown: .. what was i saying..? Time for a cigarette.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Offlinedimethoxy
Stranger
Loc: uk
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: Traveller]
    #413612 - 10/04/01 11:32 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Plants being aware? that would then imply that Earth is aware, not perhaps in the total Gaian style sense, but all the roots and mycellium are joined together on asingle landmass, all interacting with eachother via chemical messages, sounds like a neural network to me.

My definition of awareness I used earlier is in the material sense, I belive that all 'things' are concious as the force resides in all matter, including ourselves, ants and beavers etc.

The baby thing sounds real interesting, could it be that the babies are aware of their amphibian roots, perhaps this is so because of the womb environment?

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for someone you are not.

--------------------
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for someone you are not.

OfflineRedHarvest
Stranger
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: dimethoxy]
    #413664 - 10/04/01 12:47 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

It's believed that trees communicate to each other via extremely high pitched noises. This warns the other trees down the line of an impending complication, like a fire or perhaps a pathogenic fungus.. something like that. But the idea that trees communicate kind of blows my mind.

"My definition of a free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

--------------------
"My definition of a free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

Offlinegribochek
enthusiast
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: RedHarvest]
    #413672 - 10/04/01 12:54 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Rocks communicate via the third Newton's law. When one rock hits another one, the latter hits the former back with the force equal to the force of the original strike. Sometimes rocks even flock together and start rolling downhill in large groups destroying human villages and killing much cattle. Scientists are researching the possible causes of such destructive behavior of rocks...

----
You punish God, not the other way around.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: dimethoxy]
    #413688 - 10/04/01 01:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

"amphibian roots".....
well, maybe on a deep level... but...
there are mammals who in sea do dwell... and newborns have a special fat peculiar to aquatic mammals... and a so-called "diving reflex" that marine mammals of several different genera have all developed (re-discovered?)... and it it certainly not impossible that our hominid ancestors sometime during the last several million years underwent an estuarial existence for several thousand generations --- certainly time enough for a few interesting mutations to prove themselves favorable... & then the african "dry spell" ended as the rains returned, the rivers again flowed, and our ancestors returned again to the savannah -- but forever changed... (our nearest (surviving) primate relative, the chimpanzees, are ~99.4 % identical in DNA sequences (diverged from common ancestral stock perhaps 3+ million years ago)... but they have no great love for water, lack our ability to squint, have noses not designed to keep out water, do not have our generous layer of subcutaneous fat, lack the webbing that we have between digits, have hair that does not lay flat when damp & float widely when shoulder-deep in the shallows, and do not have face-to-face sex... all of which speak to a recent stint spent wading while the continental interior suffered an ecological epoch that made the dust bowl of the 1930's look like a lush lake resort... well, not everybody will agree with that scenario...)
~~~
oh, and the largest biomass on the planet is composed of the cells of prokaryotes... all the whales, trees, bugs, fish, yeasts, fungi, & diatoms added together do not mass as much as the bacteria and their allies... and all the essential biochemical machinery was developed before eukaryotic (nucleated-cellular organisms like amoebas, ferns, mushrooms, sequoia trees, hummingirds, humans...)
even showed up on the scene... and the 2 most important organelles, the chloroplast and the mitochondria, apparently started out as prokaryotes & eventually formed a working collaboration with host organisms, (endosymbiosis), which organisms became the ancestors of modern plants, animals, and fungi & protists...
lynn margulis might have some input on this, whaddya think?

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 on 10/04/01 02:14 PM.

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineMrKurtz
enthusiast
Re: The nature of.. nature. [Re: CACA]
    #414030 - 10/04/01 07:00 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

"if a human does NOT know something and wants to know it, that knowledge WILL be had-regardless."

Ok, then how come no one has been able to prove where we come from and why we are here? Sure, lots of people say they think they know, but none of them have any proof.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies