Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescribbles
Loc: Southeast US
Substrate Question
    #407784 - 09/28/01 06:14 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I've tried cultivation before with birdseed but I didn't have a PC and blah blah blah it didn't work. Dandy, I'm ready to try again, got an Equador syringe, and I'm looking for a good substrate. I can't find BRF for the life of me. I've found whole BR but its never organic and what not. What else can I use? Can I use the whole BR that I found in a local Grocery store?? Is there a certain brand of birdseed or something that a Super Wal-Mart would carry that I can use the boil sterilization with? Peace to you and all you love. Thanks in advance to any replies.

-scribbles
Long Days and Pleasant Nights.
Check out the Church of the Universe @ www.iamm.com

--------------------
-scribbles

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Substrate Question [Re: scribbles]
    #407880 - 09/28/01 08:42 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well, you ought to be able to find BRF at most grocery stores - check out the health food section. You could also just go to a health food store and ask for it by name. Alternatively, you could take the whole brown rice (I'm told short-grain is better than long-grain, but both will work) and grind it up in a coffee grinder or (if you're back in the stone age) use a mortar and pestle.
Frankly, though, I've used both TEKs and I find the finch seed to be a far superior substrate. I use Ryche's finch seed tek with the added BRF and flax seed meal. I'm also doing experiments with adding other stuff to the finch seed. Do yourself a favor and go get an inexpensive pressure cooker - you don't need the $120 variety. Check out Ebay.com.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinescribbles
Re: Substrate Question [Re: FanaTEK]
    #408384 - 09/29/01 02:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well riight now I can't swing a PC, although one of my friends might be able to give me one. Is it possible to use birdseed without a PC, just boil sterilize?

-scribbles

--------------------
-scribbles

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #408385 - 09/29/01 02:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Dont worry if the brown rice says organic or not. That is only a reference to what the rice was feed when it was grown. Most any liberal hippy (*ahem*) prefers to advoid man made chemicals that can harm the earth... One example of a popular chemical fertilizer is MericleGrow... Best on our enviroment to advoid them.. But the 'shrooms will never know the diference.

>>Jammer>>

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #408386 - 09/29/01 03:00 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I belive birdseed and other seeds must be PC. Boiling just doesnt cut it! I dont have a PC either, might have to invest in one soon.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #408791 - 09/29/01 11:48 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well, there's always room for experimentation. Some of the jars might survive, but you'd probably be better off spending the money on either materials for a boilable substrate (like BRF/Verm) or a PC. If you plan on doing this more than once, invest in the pressure cooker.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #408795 - 09/29/01 11:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

absolutly not possible to use bird seed in ordinary boiling pot regardless of cooking time.

Offlinescribbles
Re: Substrate Question [Re: tchyted]
    #409381 - 09/30/01 04:54 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Is there anything I can add that a normal store might have to make the substrate more nutritious? The ShroomWizard guide suggests using natural honey for dextrose.

-scribbles

--------------------
-scribbles

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #409450 - 09/30/01 06:01 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

you may find dextrose under a common name- "corn sugar." a store with a nice baking section (?) might have it, though ive only seen it in brewing shops (only looked there).

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures