Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
the new classical music
    #4035148 - 04/09/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Here's some recommendations for ya guys, it's all electronic music, and i recommend every one of these artists for tripping (and if you get around to hearing them whilst tripping, you'll thank me).

Autechre
Gescom
Boards of Canada
Aphex Twin
Lusine
Richard Devine
Monolake

There's a few to start with, i'll list more if anybody digs these. Autechre is the most intelligent mathematical music i've heard to date.

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: the new classical music [Re: LiveByFreedom]
    #4035347 - 04/09/05 09:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I realy like Aphex Twin, the On video is amazing to watch.

--------------------

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: the new classical music [Re: Cloud9]
    #4035630 - 04/09/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I love Richard Devine... never hear about anybody on here talking about him though. I listened to Asect:Dsect the other day on the comedown of a trip off a low dose and it was great, out in my backyard under the stars. I've heard of about half of the others...going to check out the ones I haven't heard.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4035655 - 04/09/05 11:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

listen to early black dog. spanners, bytes, parallel and their peel sessions are essential.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Black+Dog,+The

Listen/Download

not sure if this is "the new classical music"
but I hear what you're saying man.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: the new classical music [Re: Vvellum] * 1
    #4036108 - 04/10/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Here is why I think this stuff is the new classical music.

It's a story about Debussy. Debussy was in a conservatory, and he never did the music theory stuff 'right'. His writing had parellel fifths, etc, and that was bad. So, he didn't do well. So, he was like "Fuck this conservatory shit, I'm gonna work on the music I like to make" and he did. Well, everyone in the classical music establishment was appalled. "this isn't music". Now they teach it.

The classical music establishment is terrified of this stuff. They know it's as good as anything by the classic masters and they know it doesn't fit in their frameworks, so, since it terrifies them, they will eventually assimalate it into their system.

The linage goes through the Boulez and Stockhausen, all that electronic stuff, and also through the minimalists. People like squarepusher and autechre are using advanced music techniques on folk traditions (rave music in this case, throughout history it's been folk music of eastern europe, in bartok, chinese sounds, in some russian composers, african drumming in steve reich, etc). These artists are pushing the envelope in a way that it hasn't been pushed before, but there is a lot of precedent for people working on these edges to gain legetimacy only years later. But, someone like Aphex Twin or Squarepusher is doing exactly what someone like Bartok did with a different tradition. Squarepusher is assimilating jazz and rave music the same way bartok assimilated stuff. And he's getting the exact same response from the establishment that guys like bartok and Debussy got.

One really good example that this stuff (especially the warp records stuff) is getting accepted by the mainstream of alternative classical music is that Jonny from Radiohead got that invitation to be composer in residence for a BBC Orchestra.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: the new classical music [Re: tomk]
    #4036173 - 04/10/05 04:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

tomk, 5 shrooms to you. well-thought out post, you know your music history.

You're right, it's an extension back to Varese, Reich, Cage (especially in Drukqs). The genre tree can be traced further to Stravinsky and his shunning received from the debut of "Rite of Spring", and Shoenberg, and then even back to Debussy (what a genius).

I think with the advent and introduction of recording and electronics, a new academic aspect of music has emerged. Production experimentation entered the realm of contemporary music before musical synthesis did, with Cage cutting tape, Reich doing phasing experiments, Stockhausen, Varese... all the pioneers of electronic music.

I was lucky enough to study electronic composition with my 20-century music professor. He played his composition composed for research and school grants, truely academic music. It was amazing, very very experimental. 1 track had cut-ups of a trumpet, violin, cello, and voice. another a synth with a phased soprano. He said tons of students have recommended to him Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher... That alone tells me you're right!

I'm sure you've heard this phrase:
Every note combination has been played.
I think the new direction is digital sound and cognition. The future is Boards of Canada, programming your brain with binaural beats, making your heartbeat sync with the music...

I think the future is Aphex Twin making pictures in the spectrographic view of his audio ( too late! )

I think the new classical will be everything from Pink Floyd to Tool to Boards of Canada.
The new blues, and the new jazz is underground hip hop. From Yesterday's New Quintet to The Roots.

btw, tomk, ever hear of "Art Of Noise: The Seduction of Claude Debussy"? You must listen to it... you'd love it

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Edited by Blastrid (04/10/05 04:17 AM)

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4036282 - 04/10/05 05:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I know most of those artists but never really listened to autechre. album recommendation?

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: the new classical music [Re: Blastrid]
    #4036796 - 04/10/05 12:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Man I made a long good post and my computer ate it.

I nitpicked that the line from Schoenberg goes through Wagner, not through Debussy. Wagner started the obliteration of tonality in Tristan Und Isolde.

I disagreed about Tool and Pink Floyd, et al. These guys will always be part of the folk tradition, but I think classical music will draw more and more from this tradition. A small but important difference.

I had a good line about aphex twin playing salileri to squarepushers mozart in there too. Squarepusher is a musical supergenious like bach and mozart were. Aphex Twin is a musical genious, no doubt, but not a supergenious.

But, yeah, these guys are a new frontier. It's good stuff.

Never heard that debussy thing.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
    #4040845 - 04/11/05 01:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Autechre recommendations - Tri Repetae, LP5, and Chiastic Slide.

What great posts guys!! <3 Boards of Canada, they're my absolute favorite. The human emotion they capture, is just serene. Craziness guys, i just learned a lot. I have heard black dog and his peel sessions, badassery.

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#4044176 - 04/12/05 05:09 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

isnt black dog plaid?

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: the new classical music [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4047001 - 04/12/05 07:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Isn't Plaid ?-Ziq?
Anyway, great discussion. I like this music too, though I can't be sure why. You can't dance to it. But it draws me in and I try to dance to it. I like music that sounds like the CD is skipping...  :smile: 
It's weird to imagine 200 years into the future, when people are listening to Wagner, Mozart, Squarepusher, and Amon Tobin; or they are digging the latest elephant-fart-commercial-radio-popular-cuz-it's-lame hit song on Clear Channel's Brain Drain Channel telepathically.
Peace!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4052471 - 04/13/05 11:47 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

For the people who dig this kind of music you should check out the group We. You won't be disappointed.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: the new classical music [Re: tomk] * 1
    #5177893 - 01/13/06 07:39 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
I had a good line about aphex twin playing salileri to squarepushers mozart in there too. Squarepusher is a musical supergenious like bach and mozart were. Aphex Twin is a musical genious, no doubt, but not a supergenious.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
comparing warp electronica to baroque and classical music is both completely pointless and fucking annoying. thats like comparing the simpsons to a shakespeare production. there might be some sort of lineage somewhere but its irrelevent.

i would say that aphex, boards etc are certainly easily APPEALING to people who also appreciate bach, mozart etc and vice versa but theres no need to start saying anything deep about it. both are intelligent and interesting forms of music but theres no comparison; classical is highbrow and broad "pop" (including aphex etc) is lowbrow. good, superior lowbrow but its got nowhere near the depth of "classical" music. never will have. mozart bach and squarepusher, you shitting me?

sorry to be a wanker but im drunk and pissed and i disagree

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: the new classical music [Re: mr_kite]
    #5177906 - 01/13/06 07:44 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

i reckon the problem with "electronic" music (as much as i love it) is getting sounds that are interesting enough to maintain your attention over a period of time.or be anything more than just a sound.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of earth
    #5179246 - 01/14/06 06:09 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

lusine is one of my favorites at the moment.

also: the cinematic orchestra, tosca, caia, john tejada..

some a little more 'upbeat' i guess..

yos-

Offlineblackegg
...has left the building.
Male User Gallery

Re: the new classical music [Re: Yoschie99]
    #5258874 - 02/03/06 01:27 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

:heart:

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

Offlineblackegg
Male User Gallery

Re: the new classical music [Re: blackegg]
    #5258917 - 02/03/06 01:41 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I've been listening to certain Aphex songs for over six years and STILL find new rhythm patterns and substructures going on in them!

six y-e-a-rs!

And, I think the infamous woman who was buried with all her Aphex Twin albums would disagree that electronica has no 'human element' or connectedness.

IDM is 'new classical'. As far as it is very complicated, and very moving (some artists more than others).

If you still doubt the connection between 'electronica/IDM' and 'classical' look up 'Alarm Will Sound'. They've totally bridged that (small) gap.
They've transcribed a whole Aphex album into percussion, brass, strings, woodwind etc.
NY Times calls them "the future of classical music" (www.bangonacan.org)

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

Edited by blackegg (02/03/06 01:49 PM)

Offlineblackegg
Male User Gallery

#5258955 - 02/03/06 01:51 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

:heart: :heart:

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #5259166 - 02/03/06 02:49 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Edited by blackegg (02/03/06 06:49 PM)

you seem to know the 'edit' button, so maybe next time you could use it in stead of replying to yourself :smirk:

Offlineblackegg
Male User Gallery

Re: the new classical music [Re: stefan]
    #5262525 - 02/04/06 03:06 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not interested in attacking you.
:heart:

I think Alarm Will Sound had to use four drummers(!) at once to complete one of Richard D. James' tracks!

Also, I listened to a few different Cd's last night and DO have to admit that some were definitely lacking in the DEPTH department.
Aphex has crazy rhythm and soooo many different sounds going on, but maybe the 'depth' of true acoustic instruments would add something.
But then, some of his sounds are found/recorded (as opposed to constructed by computer) and those sounds seem to have this 'depth', or chaotic variation/modulation...sumshit, I dunno I was just thinking...

Anybody know the name of that classification of new music that transcribes IDM into acoustic?

Edited by blackegg (02/04/06 03:26 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd, Toilet Paper

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media