Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Culture Transfer to Liquid
    #4034578 - 04/09/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Will this work?

I will plug a test tube half full of dextrose solution with an ear plug and sterilize it. I will take the largest gauge needle I can find and extract some mycelium from the center of a cake (so it is sterile). I will inject the mycelium into the liquid through the ear plug which will then heal itself. When the liquid culture is colonized I will suck it up with a sterile syringe and inoculate my jars.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Culture Transfer to Liquid [Re: actionshroom]
    #4034626 - 04/09/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

are you able to do agar transfers? i dont know much about the whole syringe thing but agar>liquid is tons easier then grain>liquid.. im not even sure you can do that, but i could be totally wrong... i cut my dishes and blend em up and inoculate.. each time.. no stir plate or anything, just blended mycelium into grain.. it adds a bit of moisture so i use as little water as possible.. i have a SS container for the blender i can autoclave which helps too.. don't know normal ratio's but with this method i use 3 dishes and inoculate 6 1/2gal jars and usually colonize within a week to ten days.. i know you can get way more mileage out of your mycelium with liquid fermentation techniques.. where you take the blended mycelium and instead of immedietly inoculating grain, adding to an enriched solution and stir it on a stir plate for 2-3days.. stir plates are lab equipment that usually cost hundreds of dollars but you can get one used for $20-30 on ebay.. this is a method paul stamets teaches and talks about in his book growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms.. with this method he takes 5 dishes and in 3 days inoculates 100 1/2gal jars.. pretty amazing really... i know there are some simple teks or something here, im new here really.. check around, im sure people will post to.. this is one method that seems to work.. hope this info helps.. good luck!

"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation