Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
The "New Age" mentality
    #4029002 - 04/07/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have discovered a trend in new age thought. First of all mutual affirmation is popular with many of the way out new age folk. The good old boy system lives strong. I believe all of your lies and bullshit, and you agree to believe all of mine. That way we all seem cool, and we can make any outrageous, pointless claim we feel like and not worry about our self importance being threatened.. Big egos rule here, but you wouldn't know it...everyone claims they ain't got an ego. So, if you say it it must be true. Second, if anyone makes a logical argument to dispute some of the more far out concepts posed, well, we don't make a rational argument....because we really can't. At that point all of our peace, love, and togetherness is ditched and we get plain nasty with the personal insults and posturing. I ain't addressing everyone here, but if this bugged you then you are one of those to whom I addressed this thought.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4029354 - 04/08/05 12:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: +5

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineLux
    #4029725 - 04/08/05 06:04 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Absolutely. When your beliefs begin to solidify and become absolute it is time for serious reflection. It is a very tricky thing, an illusion of awareness as a prison. The tricky part is the belief there is but one prison.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4029741 - 04/08/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I have discovered a trend in new age thought. First of all mutual affirmation is popular with many of the way out new age folk. The good old boy system lives strong. I believe all of your lies and bullshit, and you agree to believe all of mine. That way we all seem cool, and we can make any outrageous, pointless claim we feel like and not worry about our self importance being threatened.. Big egos rule here, but you wouldn't know it...everyone claims they ain't got an ego. So, if you say it it must be true. Second, if anyone makes a logical argument to dispute some of the more far out concepts posed, well, we don't make a rational argument....because we really can't. At that point all of our peace, love, and togetherness is ditched and we get plain nasty with the personal insults and posturing. I ain't addressing everyone here, but if this bugged you then you are one of those to whom I addressed this thought.

Quote:

as soon as a philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates a world in its own image?

:confused: :thumbup:
:sun:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4029805 - 04/08/05 06:55 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Is this in response to the B.S post about Swami? Because i never thought this place was like that until i saw that post. Respect definitely went out the window with that one.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineLux
Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: egghead1]
    #4029853 - 04/08/05 07:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I only saw the original post in that thread which I didn't see as disrespectful at all, what else was said beyond that I do not know. The thread itself however I see nothing wrong with. If Swami is allowed to test the belief's of others, others should be allowed to test the belief of his.

Skepticism is essential, but it is no different than any other set of belief in my eyes. If you swear by it your mind will close itself to other possibilities.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4030053 - 04/08/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

:thumbup:

Evolution is a slow and sometimes painful process. :wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4030114 - 04/08/05 09:08 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The community should always try to police itself without the moderators HAVING to do something.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4030172 - 04/08/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
The community should always try to police itself without the moderators HAVING to do something.

Indeed. We can, if we choose, to serve the community that serves us without being mods when we see forum rules and guidelines being broke or tampered with. Yet, we can't hold bias's then either and truly be of service to the whole of the community.

Do we stand for a minimum of respect being given around here to ALL of the members or not? Space dragon was just flamed again and no one jumped in to defend him.

If we just jump in when someone we usually agree with is being dissed then we are really just establishing clicks around here that can only serve to further divide us within a community. If we truly believe an action is out of line according to forum rules, then it should be when aimed at ANY member.

In all fairness, flaming and flame type opinions are a part of the "real world" off the board and people slip talking in their every day voice and forget the rules here. I'm not downing anyone who does it. I'm just saying, it is a forum rule to be respectful of others beliefs and opinions and to not flame. That should hold for everyone and in defense of everyone without partiality or bias. :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4030209 - 04/08/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with you about respect. But what constitues a flame? I dont see where spacedragon was flamed? And since he is the self proclaimed emprorer of the world he certainly does'nt need to be defended by any of us lesser mortals :confused: :lol:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: Lux]
    #4030239 - 04/08/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The post that was directed toward swami was a direct attack not on a particular belief or view, but a personal attack on a Swami himself who is obviously openly skeptical. Such acts denote disrespect in my book.

--------------------

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
    #4030246 - 04/08/05 10:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
The post that was directed toward swami was a direct attack not on a particular belief or view, but a personal attack on a Swami himself who is obviously openly skeptical. Such acts denote disrespect in my book.

alot of people seem to have a problem with swami,

I for one like his post's.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4030812 - 04/08/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

In truth I don't read Spacedragon's posts because they don't interest me,so I did not see that one, BUT when one of his threads was deleted by an overzealous mod I complained loudly. That does not mean I will not openly question his veracity...which is not an attack, but a valid device for debate. Everyone...barring no one, deserves basic respect. Seeing a thread solely for the purpose of insult pissed me off a bit. If you read my previous posts you will see that I have posted against hate oriented discussion and insult many times. That still does not stop me from vigorously questioning philosophies which with I do not agree.

Edit: A little flaming is one thing...everyone should not be oversensitive to the point that they cannot have fun, but that thread about Swami was over the top.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4030868 - 04/08/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

Sure, you can see mods locking and moving threads all day long in this forum :tongue: . Come on :mad2: !
So, now you believe in some kind of anarchy ?
Sorry, but this is not the time to implement it. Recent facts did prove this forum needs moderation when the word "Swami" is referred.
If any member feels outraged by another member, please feel free to PM me and i'll try to deal with the situation. Since i became a mod, do you know the number of PM's i have ever received from any member complaining about Swami ?

Btw, i did move a thread today, guess what, it was directed to Swami. I was about to let it stay but after reading the replies i decided to move it because it simply got off topic. People, S&P stands for Spirituality&Philosophy and sometimes it stands Swami&Philosophy. I'm ok with "Swami" threads as long as the community tries to give it a spiritual or philosophical meaning. Otherwise, it goes to the dump, period.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (04/08/05 01:07 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: MAIA]
    #4030880 - 04/08/05 01:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"People, S&P stands for Science&Philosophy"
What forum are you supposed to be moderating here?. It is listed as Spirituality and Philosophy.

"So, now you believe in some kind of anarchy ?"
What? I am just talking about having respect for each other. Read my words more carefully. I know you are an anarchist, but I believe in strong leadership.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: MAIA]
    #4030886 - 04/08/05 01:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I do think that the moderators here tend to ignore hate based threads. I see racial and religious prejudices weekly expressed. I am outraged by hate so I usually comment.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4030926 - 04/08/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
"People, S&P stands for Science&Philosophy"
What forum are you supposed to be moderating here?. It is listed as Spirituality and Philosophy.

Heh lol, thanks for the correction. Forgive this old timer ...

Quote:

"So, now you believe in some kind of anarchy ?"
What? I am just talking about having respect for each other. Read my words more carefully. I know you are an anarchist, but I believe in strong leadership.

"The community should always try to police itself without the moderators HAVING to do something."

Although i agree with you about it having to do with respect, the fact is not everybody respect each other, so there's a need for "policing" and acting when needed. Mods over here do let things run, but sometimes we have to "hint" the community, or at least, part of the community which is seen as biased (believers and skeptics), and make them see this place is not (or shouldn't be) some kind of battle field.
It's ok with me about the leadership thing. I not a leader, i'm a mod :wink: but i do have the capability to apply power.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4030951 - 04/08/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I do think that the moderators here tend to ignore hate based threads. I see racial and religious prejudices weekly expressed. I am outraged by hate so I usually comment.

I do tend to ignore hate, as long as it is not against the rules, then there's nothing i can do. Acting when such threads arise can be troublesome for any mod, being accused for "lack of freedom" is not a pretty thing and we do like to see everyone expressing themselves freely.
Hate/love, good/bad, believer/skeptic, ying/yang are all opposites but at the same time they are the subject for many S&P threads. If you don't like hate threads, then fill them with love or ignore them.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: Lux]
    #4030974 - 04/08/05 01:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Skepticism is essential, but it is no different than any other set of belief in my eyes. If you swear by it your mind will close itself to other possibilities.

How does the process of asking questions and testing hypotheses equate to a belief system? What is there to solidify?

How does accepting an unsubstantiated story lead to knowledge and wisdom?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: The "New Age" mentality [Re: Swami]
    #4031019 - 04/08/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

How does the process of asking questions and testing hypotheses equate to a belief system?

Structured knowledge leads to a system, in this case a belief system.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder