Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
A word on skeptics
    #4773088 - 10/08/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure many have noticed an ongoing theme in this forum. Those who express beliefs vs. those who dont believe them. I just wanted to make a point about skepticism. This post is not targeted at anyone in specific.

I notice that many people are skeptical regarding 'spiritual' experiences, existence after death, the soul, God, and the whole lot. Good. Good for you for not blindly believing that which you do not know and have not experienced.

Yet some of these same people (definately not all of em) believe that when you die, you cease to exist. They believe that consciousness is merely a result of evolution and that it cannot exist apart from the body. They believe that when the body dies, the consciousness dies with it.

Now, if you consider yourself a skeptic, you cannot be skeptical of beliefs from one culture yet embrace beliefs from another culture. To truly be a skeptic, you must be skeptical of all ideas, or else you too are a blind believer.

Lets discuss.

I also have some recommended readings (especially for those who glorify modern science):

-The Holographic Universe, by Michael Talbot
-The Holographic Paradigm and other paradoxes, The Marriage of Sense and Soul (good one for skeptics), or The Spectrum of Consciousness, or anything else by Ken Wilber that isnt too academic for your taste
-The Secret Life of Plants, by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird

These books are based on modern science, yet they are not confined to it. The Holographic Universe, is largely based on the research and theories of David Bohm, a leader in the field of quantum physics. You can even ust search the name 'David Bohm' to get an idea of the type of work he was involved with. The Holographic Universe is an easy and interesting read, with many refernces to many different scientists and doctors who's work defies many cultural beliefs. The secret life of plants is an easy read too. Ken Wilber is widely considered America's foremost philosopher, amazing writer/theorist, many of his works are too academic for my liking yet the ones I suggested are great for everyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: Buddha1]
    #4773158 - 10/08/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Buddha1 said:
To truly be a skeptic, you must be skeptical of all ideas, or else you too are a blind believer.

Very true, indeed. Also, a true skeptic realises that, in matters philosphical and/or metaphysical, no one really knows for sure about anything. Those who claim to have all the answers invaribly don't.......

Edited by Le_Canard (10/08/05 04:06 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4773167 - 10/08/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

what happens after death is not reported reliably in any codex I have examined.

simmilarily I myself cannot describe aspects of my own experience in this life.

I am very resistant to accept someone else's regurgitated second hand inaccurate description of something that is fundamentally inaccessible information.

still, I admire the struggle to address the infinite, while abhorring attempts to form clubs following the latest charisma pitched story.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Edited by redgreenvines (10/08/05 04:55 PM)

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
    #4773424 - 10/08/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm skeptical of skeptics...

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #4773703 - 10/08/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i find that very hard to believe

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4773831 - 10/08/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Everyone believes in something. Even if you believe in nothing you are still making an assumption. That said...it is worth noting that everyone should embrace something of the skeptics nature...a good bullshit meter in invaluable.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4773835 - 10/08/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
That said...it is worth noting that everyone should embrace something of the skeptics nature...a good bullshit meter in invaluable.

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4773862 - 10/08/05 05:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

i find that very hard to believe

Nice one!  :thumbup:

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: Silversoul]
    #4774097 - 10/08/05 06:58 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

In the words of Frank Zappa:
"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: A word on skeptics [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4774179 - 10/08/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yet some of these same people (definately not all of em) believe that when you die, you cease to exist.

Or they have seen nothing to make them think this is not the case but have seen plenty to make them think this is likely.

Skeptics can have opinions. They aren't "beliefs" in the sense of true belief though.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order