Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
"What the bleep do we know?"
    #3975790 - 03/27/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Has anyone seen this movie?

opinions?

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: niteowl]
    #3975802 - 03/27/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's produced by some cult. The "experts" in it are just members of the cult, the stuff they say about quantum physics is wildly inaccurate and downright silly.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000083.html

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (03/27/05 01:06 PM)

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Phluck]
    #3975810 - 03/27/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

~Another visit to Candy Land.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3975814 - 03/27/05 01:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I should note that there were a few actual quantum physicists in the movie, whose segments were heavily edited to misrepresent what they were saying.

From the site I posted:
One of the scientists who was in the film and had never appeared at the school is Dr David Albert Professor and Director of Philosophical Physics at Columbia university.
He has stated in several venues that his views were totally misrepresented in the film. He claims that in over 5 hours of interviews he explained to the film makers why their concept of how Quantum Physics works has virtually no support in the scientific community.
He even called in to a radio program the director was on to discuss this and was cut off. The host of the show said this was done because it was "negative"
so much for no good or bad, that is unless it is convienent.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3975816 - 03/27/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I heard the hype and thought "Wow, whata cool movie!" and then I watched it and was so disapointed, I still suffer from sharp pains in my chest.

It sucks beyond all measurements of suck. We need to reinvent the suck scale to convey how much it sucks.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: blink]
    #3975829 - 03/27/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
Yeah, I heard the hype and thought "Wow, whata cool movie!" and then I watched it and was so disapointed, I still suffer from sharp pains in my chest.

It sucks beyond all measurements of suck.  We need to reinvent the suck scale to convey how much it sucks.

:thumbup: :lol: I'll make sure not to watch it.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3975851 - 03/27/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

But, but, but, - fluffiness is our friend.  :heart:

Truth is nowhere near as important as how we want things to be - even more magical than they already are.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3975854 - 03/27/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well you know i liked it, i thought quite a few of the idea in what the bleep are probably true....

the only thing in in that was weird was this woman called jz knight.

hello i'm jz knight and I want to tell you about this 10,000 old spirit i channel named ramtha. also michael jackson is innocent! please, nigga.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3975861 - 03/27/05 01:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

*Swami imagines JZ without her robe*

I like mature women, but 10k years might be pushing even my limit...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Swami]
    #3975872 - 03/27/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Reminds me of an article:

Quote:

Science is in a state of crisis. Where free inquiry, natural curiosity and open-minded discussion and consideration of new ideas should reign, a new orthodoxy has emerged. This 'new inquisition', as it has been called by Robert Anton Wilson[2] consists not of cardinals and popes, but of the editors and reviewers of scientific journals, of leading authorities and self-appointed "skeptics", and last but not least of corporations and governments that have a vested interest in keeping the status quo, and it is just as effective in suppressing unorthodox ideas as the original. The scientists in the editorial boards of journals who decide which research is fit to be published, and which is not, the scientists at the patent office who decide what feats nature allows human technology to perform, and which ones it does not, and the scientists in governmental agencies who decide what proposals to fund, and not to fund, either truly believe that they are in complete knowledge of all the fundamental laws of nature, or they purposely suppress certain discoveries that threaten the scientific prestige of individuals or institutions, or economic interests. Research that indicates that an accepted theory is incomplete, severely flawed, or completely mistaken, will be rejected on the grounds that it "contradicts the laws of nature", and therefore has to be the result of sloppiness or fraud. At the heart of this argument is the incorrect notion that theory overrides evidence.

In true science, theory always surrenders to the primacy of evidence. If observations are made that, after careful verification and theoretical analysis, are found to be inconsistent with a theory, than that theory has to go - no matter how aesthetically pleasing it is, or how prestigious its supporters are, or how many billions of dollars a certain industry has bet on it.

But in current mainstream science, the opposite occurs with disturbing regularity. Anomalous evidence is first ignored, then ridiculed, and if that fails, its author attacked. Scientific conferences will not admit it to be presented, scientific journals will refuse to publish it, and fellow scientists know better than to express solidarity with an unorthodox colleague. In today's scientific world, the cards are just stacked too heavily against true scientific breakthroughs. Too many careers are at stake, too many vested interests are involved for any truly revolutionary advancement in science to take place any more. All too often, scientific truth is determined by the authority of experts and textbooks, not by logic and reason.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: niteowl]
    #3975994 - 03/27/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I haven't seen this movie yet so I can't give it a review. I do intend to rent it to see what all of the fuss is about.

I have a question. Is this movie presented as the truth of something?

It is called, "What the bleep do we know?" Don't people usually say that when they are saying, they are not sure about what they know?

I'm wondering why people are talking about it as if the movie is presenting itself "to know" when the titles insinuates, "your guess is as good as ours".

How is this movie any different from entertainment films like Star Wars, Total Recall, Harry Met Sally, Lord of the Rings, Batman etc?

I feel like there is something I don't know about it. Is it presented like Mike Mores Documentary on Bush and the White House called 9/11?

I'm hearing so many mixed reviews. Some loved it because it made them "think" and some hate it because it was science fiction and thought they were going to get a Nova type documentary. Star Wars is Science fiction and it made me think. I thought the purpose of Bleep  was just to entertain and get people thinking and asking questions. Don't the skeptics types here tell us to "think" and question things?

Here's something else I find odd about the hysteria around Ramtha and JZ's "cult" or whatever it is she charges people big bucks for to attend.

If I wrote off listening to anyone involved with "cults", I would have to write off my family, neighbors and a chunk of my social circles because they belong to religions, which function like cults. They recruit with the intent of converting your beliefs over to theirs. I think some have good intent because they feel their beliefs have shown them the way to something better, and some are out to make a buck and gain power.

What I find odd is that, I read the Ramtha White book about 6 years ago. I really enjoyed it because it made me "think" a lot, about things I never thought of before or considered. I realize not everyone enjoys intellectual stimulation or mind stretching exercises just for the sake of the stretch and the buzz.

I found his message to be one of becoming self empowered and freeing yourself from fear. His message was about looking within and finding your own power and truth. This to me is the opposite of what a cult does. A cult tells you to look to them for their truth.

The Ramtha White book would help to deprogram someone from a cult and get them thinking for themselves.

What if they interviewed that scientist just to get some material for the script. When Julia Roberts did pretty woman, she interviewed prostitutes to find out how they talk and act to help her with her script so she could make her character look believable to the audience. Do we fault Hollywood and actors for writing and playing believable scripts and roles? 

The Big question I want to know at this point is, is the movie presented as a science fact documentary or is it an entertainment film?  I don't know and that may be why I am confused by all of the mixed reactions.  :confused:

Seeking understanding for the source of the fuss:sun:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3976365 - 03/27/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think it's supposed to seem like a Michael Moore style, thesis-documentary all about the fundamental nature of reality. Is it just matter and energy or is consciousness even more fundamental?? Well, I'm sure you can imagine what the movie pushes you towards. That's why they put out the quantum physics so much in the marketing pictures, in the film's slogan, trailer etc. cause that's the least controversial thing because it comes under the mighty shield of proven science.

When skeptical people find out that there's this cult behind the film's production that elicits a really angry response most of the time, like from these numbnuts above and they tend to just throw the whole thing away at that point. I think that happens when anyone tries to tackle the deepest questions, like with The Passion of the Christ, you're just asking for harsh reaction from some big section of the population.

But I think quite a bit of what's in the film is still valid. It's just like everything else, you gotta make a judgement call about each individual piece of the puzzle and decide for yourself. check it out.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3976468 - 03/27/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I rented and watched it last night. I had planned what I hoped would be a nice evening at home with this movie, a few adult beverages followed by a marathon game of Half Life2 to top it all off. Instead the movie sucked then my computer shut off and wouldn't come on again till a few minutes ago.

I didn't like how they didn't credit the interviewees until the end of the movie. I think they did this deliberately so they could sneak this Ramtha JD Knight woman in there so she appears to have equal standing with the scientists. Very sneaky. I didn't know who she was before the movie- she seemed articulate and rational, but there was something disturbing about her; She has creepy eyes. I had the feeling she was almost trying to hypnotize the interviewer and the audience. Now that I know who she is I see why I thought that. She WAS trying to hypnotize. That's what cult leaders do. Another thing that disturbed me was the way she talked about men getting a "hard on". It seemed really inappropriate given the subject matter. I think the root of her power is sexual- she sees herself as some kind of sex goddess. Someone needs to tell her, "Your ballroom days are over, baby."

Anyway I can't recommend this movie to my fellow S&Pers- it's dishonest in its presentation and most unforgivably.. it's boring!

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Jellric]
    #3976579 - 03/27/05 06:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The credits at the end was sneaky, most def.
She was a real knockout when she was younger. Unfortunately I can't find any good pictures online to show that. I think that's a prerequisite for cult leaders, hypnotic eyes or good looks, but always a powerful confident charisma. I really trust Terence McKenna more for that reason I must admit, cause he doesn't have the looks or a terribly commanding voice, just words.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3976700 - 03/27/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

She appears to be about sixty in the movie, fortyish in your picture.
Here's a picture of her as she appears in the movie:

The film does give new meaning to the phrase "cult classic".  :grin:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: Jellric]
    #3976748 - 03/27/05 06:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I saw it. What a shitty film about nothing. There are all these fancy graphics of atomic particles zooming around to try and wow the audience. None of the characters are people I can identify with... I mean come on, a redheaded deaf photographer stumbles into a transdimensional basketball court so she can time travel with a black child prodigy.

I thought during the introduction that the film would be insightful. However it is all nonsensical gibberish with mathematical equations floating around and smart-looking people with bookshelves in the backround talking about how the mind can make reality. Thanks for letting me know... what exactly? That everything is connected? Great, there goes 2 hours of my time...

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: "What the bleep do we know?" [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3979480 - 03/28/05 10:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I thought that the movie made some important points...and can make you think about how you see your self in this life.

Many people say that they have "no control" over their life...but they do have more control than they realise. This movie can make you see that.

It shows how our emotional state can affect our physical bodies.

Most movies are made by SOME cult or another. This one is no different. So what if some of the people in the movie belong to a "cult". I saw no one trying to "convert" me to their "religion" in this movie. Just trying to get people to see that THEY have control over their destiny.

Over all I thought it was a good movie that was somewhat entertaining, and made me think.

Isnt that what movies are suposed to do.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology