Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread)
    #5936246 - 08/06/06 05:42 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

My friends look at me like I'm the most evil person they've come across because I believe in myself and my own wants/needs and disregard the needs of the public.  I can't reason with them.  They can't reason with me.

My basic argument = I do not ask of you to provide for me, you should not ask me to provide for you.

Their basic problem = Everybody (domestically, USA) does not have the same chance as you, so you, being an economically inclined individual (my parents pay for school and housing), should provide for the needs of the economically disadvantaged, even if you work to overcome your parent's subsidy because you had a better chance than them from the start. 

Lets define my life objective...I believe that if I work, I shouldn't have to provide for people who aren't producing as much as they consume.  I say that I should have no pity for those people because they have the opportunity to use publicly funded 'free' information sources to get where they are able to provide for themselves.

I say, there are plenty of opportunities for the economically disadvantaged to rise above their current economic status.  My main reason for saying this is that:

Everybody in the USA has access to free information (public libraries), therefore they have the opportunity to change their economic status by studying and then making related economic plans/business decisions.

Their argument: People who work minimum wage to support themselves have no time to spend contemplating a different career because there are bills to be paid and bread to be won.

My argument: How often during your hours of servitude do you think of ways to get out of your current situation?  I know what its like to wake up daily at ungodly hours to make the money it takes to satisfy those basic needs (housing, food, water) even though my parents are taking care of them...I've still had to work.  When I was working, all I did was ponder ways to get out of where I was...to not ever have to be in that position, because there will be a time.

Their argument: You are too tired at the end of the day to try to figure out different ways of self-sustainance.  My friend told me he plays guitar during those hours when he is too tired to contemplate ways out of his minimum wage job.  I told him that instead of playing guitar, I chose to go to the library to read so I could figure ways of building my career.

I don't buy that $6.75hr wage (minimum wage CA, I think) = $6.75 x 40hrs = $270/week - social security = after...IDK, around $230ish per week.  $230/week x 4 weeks = $920/month.  $920/month - rent (sharing a room, split in half @ $600/month per room = $300/month.  $300/month - food ($150 max on a conservative food budget) - utilities ($50/month = electricity, gas, water) = $100 savings/month. 

He tells me that this is not enough to gain access to a free public library...which is enough to spawn the ideas necessary to begin a business of his own.  He tells me $100 isn't enough to begin a business...I say "banks will give loans to good ideas".  He says "banks won't trust $100 dispensible income/month as collateral for a loan."  I say "then convince your beloved public (even if you have to go door to door) to lend you the money"...the right idea being enough to convince serious investors, unless the investors like the idea enough to fork over their own $$...then you won't even need to spend your own $$.

He tells me I'm selfish for wanting to keep my money to myself.  He tells me its not selfish for him to take my money and appropriate it to people who haven't done anything for me.  He thinks people worse off and in the same condition as him, 'deserve' my money because I should think of the public good.

I told him that if jr really feels this, he should work as hard as I am willing to work, to become a millionare and provide for these people out of his own pocket.  I never got an answer out of him regarding this.

I'm very frustrated.  I'm also very tired right now...so if you have something to refute I will get back to you, but let me rest a bit.  I will answer no baseless arguments...don't even try it :smile:.

Good night shroomery

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: TODAY]
    #5936488 - 08/06/06 09:19 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like it's time for you to find new hard working friends. People who have goals and bring the energy, desire, and perseverence needed to achieve them.

I wish you luck, most people are slackers.

The other problem is that if you have money already other people without money will always find a reason why you really don't deserve it. The wider that disparity, the higher the level of resentment.

Most people are jealous of people with money in addition to being slackers themselves.

I would advise against your loaning or giving any of your money to your "friend" in question. I have done so with a couple of ex-"friends" who have left town and me out of some money. In fact, I would advise against you giving up any of your money to anyone. Fuck 'em. They'll never get used to having money because they will squander it ASAP and it never gets replaced cause they ain't bringing in any cause they are a bunch of fucking jealous slackers who love to mooch.

Fuck 'em all.

I have a tenant, she is on welfare from the government in all shape and form. She is more than capable of working and does a seasonal job but mostly just hangs out and gets drunk and smokes her Camel Lights. So clearly she has some money to pay for her habits. I pay her water, sewer and garbage. Her only bill is electric, and $66 a month for the small portion of the rent the welfare people don't pay for. She also gets food stamps. She probably also gets cash for her "disability" they allow her to claim.

See, it's all about having a kid and then the govt. will give you all that welfare stuff. Have kid(s) and all you have to do is apply then cry.

And whoo boy does she cry. She wrote me a letter crying that the "government doesn't understand the expenses of a single mom" while at the same time not paying me her measly $ 66 a month portion of the rent for three month's straight.

Now the bitch wants to repaint the house because she wants a "splash of color on a few walls" yet in the same letter short pays the rent because "after I paid my bills I didn't have any money left over for all of the rent". In her world I guess paint is free (she probably will blow the hardware shop owner to get it free and he will spray it on as well) and rent isn't a bill.

See what I mean about fucking slacking moochers? This bitch lives her whole life like that and the system including apparently me at least for now lets her get away with it. Until I evict her dumb ass that is.

Rant done.

Like I said time for you to find new friends.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5936509 - 08/06/06 09:31 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"My friends look at me like I'm the most evil person they've come across because I believe in myself and my own wants/needs and disregard the needs of the public. I can't reason with them. They can't reason with me."

It sounds like you have a problem...not your "friends". You seem to be very ego based. You are worried about the world conforming to what you want. The first step in initiating change is to accept yourself and others for what they are and quit trying to force the world to conform to you. I would also examine the issue of why you call people friends if they think you are "evil". Relationship building may be an area of growth for you to consider. :smile:

"They can't reason with me"

Maybe you are unreasonable.

"My argument: How often during your hours of servitude do you think of ways to get out of your current situation?"

"Thinking" doesn't cut it. Everyone thinks, but how many act on their thoughts? Acting is the most powerful tool for change.

Take your blinders off and wake up. You are dreaming.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5936522 - 08/06/06 09:36 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Until I evict her dumb ass that is.

Kick her ass to the fucking curb, then she'll start making some real money for herself. :lol:

:earth: :sun: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#5936526 - 08/06/06 09:39 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You, can only be you. If you like who you are, well other people
perception of you are their own problems.
I sure don't worry about other peoples, condescending shit toward me.
Good luck. :thumbup:

InvisibleLazyGnome
¬_¬
Male User Gallery

Loc: the layer cake
Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5936543 - 08/06/06 09:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

She is more than capable of working and does a seasonal job but mostly just hangs out and gets drunk and smokes her Camel Lights. So clearly she has some money to pay for her habits. I pay her water, sewer and garbage. Her only bill is electric, and $66 a month for the small portion of the rent the welfare people don't pay for. She also gets food stamps. She probably also gets cash for her "disability" they allow her to claim.

Her kid will probably turn ou the same way  :frown:

In high school I knew so many kids not having to pay fees and getting free lunch even though they would have had plenty of money if their parents weren't wasting their money on cigs and alcohol. I hate fucking people mooching off the system, they are stealing money and hurting people that really need it.

--------------------
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Everything that we know and understand comes down to perception, and by altering this perception we shake everything we know. All that you and I can know and understand is what we can see smell hear think touch and so on, and when something like mushrooms or salvia alters this steady perception, it can break reality permanently." - Dihnekis

Edited by LazyGnome (08/06/06 09:56 AM)

Offlinepalmersc
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Arkansas
    #5936558 - 08/06/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
I'm very frustrated.

haha, after debating similar topics with my friends, i've found that agreeing isn't what's important and it shouldn't dictate whether you remain friends. people's opinions are usually in conflict due to the fact that the source of their information is in conflict. i'm beginning to put less emphasis on the validity of my beliefs and am becoming more comfortable with not getting the last word.

i tend to side with your reasoning.

it's difficult to promote personal responsibility without coming off as a cold hearted uncompassionate individual. i see the way welfare and other social programs are set up as the problem. these programs propagate mass laziness and self pity.

while i'm not too fond of letting money dictate who survives. this is the game we play, and i'll play or else go without. when i finish up college, i'll be 100,000 in the hole, yet it will be a good investment which i'll gladly repay.

other species in the animal kingdom who are unwilling to work at life are not going to live long. i'm willing to help anybody up out of a tight spot, but i'm not going to have them leeching off me indefinitely.

it comes down to how these people who expect something for nothing were raised. their parents likely fucked up, and their mistakes are difficult to correct.

i can see both sides to the dilemma you present. one side relies heavily on emotions.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: LazyGnome]
    #5936675 - 08/06/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Her kid will probably turn ou the same way

Bingo. She dropped out of high school then cried to the principal about why they didn't offer GEDs. He told her to get the fuck off school grounds and don't come back.

Of course, she is still living at "home" (my house) and drinking the water I pay for and crapping down the sewer that I pay the bill for. No job, no education, just hanging out smoking those Camel Lights.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5936701 - 08/06/06 11:34 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Poverty has more to do with our economic system than with a lack of charity. The solution is to change the system. But I've gotten into that enough in other threads.

That said, I think you overstate how easy it is to find a decent job. I'm in a similarly privileged position as you. I'm a college graduate living with my parents, who paid my entire way through college so that I wouldn't have student loans to worry about. And yet, I still can't find a decent job. Believe me, I'm trying. I had planned on living in my own place by now, but that plan's gone to shit. I keep having to push back the date for when I'm going to move out, cuz shit just isn't working. And starting my own business? Please! We have a family curse when it comes to that. The last successful entrepreneur in my family owned slaves. So in the meantime, I'm sending out letters and resumes to whatever places that I might be qualified for, but it's not easy.

In summary, I don't think you're necessarily selfish. But I do think you're rather naive.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Silversoul]
    #5936713 - 08/06/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"I had planned on living in my own place by now, but that plan's gone to shit. I keep having to push back the date for when I'm going to move out, cuz shit just isn't working. And starting my own business? Please! We have a family curse when it comes to that."

Look at that statement and you will see your future. Change the statement...then make it a personal truth...your future will change accordingly.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5936718 - 08/06/06 11:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Are you saying I should start my own business?

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Silversoul]
    #5936725 - 08/06/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"I'm sending out letters and resumes to whatever places I might be qualified for, but it's not easy"

Hell no finding a good job isn't easy. But as to who is being naive, if you really think that "sending out letters and resumes" will do shit in the job search you are dreaming.

You need to call them, smooze the receptionist to get through to the man or at the very least work at getting set up for an INTERVIEW if there truly is a job to be had. If there is no job to be had, why waste the paper and time and stamp to mail out your letter and resume that will end up in the circular file or buried deep in the "prospective applicants when we have a job opening" never to be opened file in someone's desk with no hiring decision making anyway.

Then when you have the interview, you gotta nail it. It takes skills to do a good interview. Skills and practice. You have to sell yourself in a confident manner but mostly just show interest and eagerness. Be the puppy dog who is trainable and willing to fetch a slipper or two.

I can just imagine nowadays the clumsy oafish attempts most people have at finding real employment. Like sending out letters and resumes. Save a tree and get on the phone...

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#5936729 - 08/06/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I am saying that you are the master of your destiny. Making statements of (and indulging in) self defeat is counter productive. Your physical surroundings are a mirror of your psychological landscape. Be positive and most importantly act positively. Finding a great job or starting a business is something people do everyday...your opportunities are no less than others. Most importantly...act.

I have noticed when one person makes a negatively oriented statement in a negatively oriented way they invite others in to do the same. Those that do surrender power. Look at the content of every post and you will see my point. Misery loves company they say...

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5936742 - 08/06/06 11:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

In no way am I conceding defeat. I am simply explaining that it is not as easy as the original poster seems to imply.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5936765 - 08/06/06 12:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You've already conceded defeat. 

Would you like some cheese with that whine?  :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5936768 - 08/06/06 12:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
You've already conceded defeat.

Explain

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: LazyGnome]
    #5936798 - 08/06/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LazyGnome said:
Quote:

She is more than capable of working and does a seasonal job but mostly just hangs out and gets drunk and smokes her Camel Lights. So clearly she has some money to pay for her habits. I pay her water, sewer and garbage. Her only bill is electric, and $66 a month for the small portion of the rent the welfare people don't pay for. She also gets food stamps. She probably also gets cash for her "disability" they allow her to claim.

Her kid will probably turn ou the same way  :frown:

In high school I knew so many kids not having to pay fees and getting free lunch even though they would have had plenty of money if their parents weren't wasting their money on cigs and alcohol. I hate fucking people mooching off the system, they are stealing money and hurting people that really need it.

YOU FUCKING ARE ARE THE MOST IGNORANT BUNCH I HAVE HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF .................Fuck it

You have no idea what has happened to this woman..Life has brought her to this point and probley the only FUN she can afford is a cold beer and some smokes........ While you get high and steal from your parents. Fucking bullshit to just treat the world and the people in it like rugs...........Stop looking at others "problems" and start looking at your own

To the first poster. Your selfish and are to stupid to see this and don't LIVE by your own beliefs. If the world around you is not your problem then why do the feelings and beliefs of others around you bothers SO SO damn much........be a real man and start living a truthful existence :rolleyes:

This thread kinda makes me sick to know that there are really posters here who are REALLY THIS SELFISH...........but I am not surprised :thumbdown:

Fuck e'm all ...yeah how much balls does that take..Sounds like a great way to release all responsibilities from yourself.......Nice just keep raping the world...............Nice one.Same EXACT mind set of life time Criminals...........EXACTLY :wink:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5936804 - 08/06/06 12:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your whole post was so defeatist in tone that I feel you have already conceded defeat.

Anyone who mails off a letter and resume with no phone call before or after has already conceded defeat.

Anyone who says their family is "cursed" as to self employment has already conceded defeat as to that possibility.

Anyone who cries about how tough it is finding a job but who really hasn't applied the practice and skills necessary to get a good job has already conceded defeat. In other words, finding a job IS a full time job until you find it. Interview, interview, interview.

If you go to the interview with that defeatist attitude, you will be defeated. Then you can go home and mail out some more letters and resumes.

If you go to the interview truly confident and eager and show interest, you may win that job. It's a contest and there is only one winner.

Ask yourself who would the employer rather hire, an upbeat positive eager confident person, or someone who isn't?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5936808 - 08/06/06 12:12 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I am saying that you are the master of your destiny. Making statements of (and indulging in) self defeat is counter productive. Your physical surroundings are a mirror of your psychological landscape. Be positive and most importantly act positively. Finding a great job or starting a business is something people do everyday...your opportunities are no less than others. Most importantly...act.

I have noticed when one person makes a negatively oriented statement in a negatively oriented way they invite others in to do the same. Those that do surrender power. Look at the content of every post and you will see my point. Misery loves company they say...

Words have power. You are talking about stalking unconsciousness programming. We are constantly casting subtle counter spells to our statements of intent. Yet we mostly cannot see it and refuse to acknowledge it. I have never met anyone who doesn't do this and I have almost never met anyone who "sees" it.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (08/06/06 12:13 PM)

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #5936815 - 08/06/06 12:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

My problem with your views is that they are very sweeping. "I believe in myself and my own wants/needs and disregard the needs of the public" - that is an over-simplistic, selfish statement. Fair enough you don't want to give your money to lazy bums who only have themselves to blame for their failure; but what about those people who started off in poverty and have no way out? They exist too you know, and I'd have a problem with myself if I refused to consider helping someone's who's simply been incredible unlucky despite being hardworking and forward-thinking.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #5936819 - 08/06/06 12:15 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

If you want I can hook you up with this woman and she will be glad to cry on your shoulder and tell you all about how life has dealt her a cruel hand.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5936825 - 08/06/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Your whole post was so defeatist in tone that I feel you have already conceded defeat.

Anyone who mails off a letter and resume with no phone call before or after has already conceded defeat.

Anyone who says their family is "cursed" as to self employment has already conceded defeat as to that possibility.

Anyone who cries about how tough it is finding a job but who really hasn't applied the practice and skills necessary to get a good job has already conceded defeat. In other words, finding a job IS a full time job until you find it. Interview, interview, interview.

If you go to the interview with that defeatist attitude, you will be defeated. Then you can go home and mail out some more letters and resumes.

If you go to the interview truly confident and eager and show interest, you may win that job. It's a contest and there is only one winner.

Ask yourself who would the employer rather hire, an upbeat positive eager confident person, or someone who isn't?

You misunderstand my entire post. I am not a defeatist. I was simply trying to explain that to the original poster that the job market is not as easy to navigate as he thinks it is. I have every bit of confidence that I will eventually be able to get the job that's right for me. I'm sorry that seem to think that explaining a difficult situation is equivalent to crying.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: mr_kite]
    #5936831 - 08/06/06 12:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"Words have power"

They do indeed...acts have more.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5936832 - 08/06/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Didn't you know buy living THAT way you have this added bonus.............I am not responsible for anything outside myself AND I am also not taking any responsibility for any harm cause thru my actions....I am free to do as I please. And I have free rein to cast judgement at the world around me.Fuck e'm you know.........Er wait, that is untill I really need some help from soemone less than me.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #5936839 - 08/06/06 12:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I am saying that you are the master of your destiny.

True to an extent, but over-simplistic. Some people really do have terrible luck. Wrong place wrong time, right place right time, right place wrong time etc, you can be the most optimistic, upbeat individual but if you don't get the breaks (eg right time wrong place) then you're not the master of your destiny. So you can say "find the right place for you", doesn't always happen. Through no fault of the person.

I've been extremely lucky in life. Many times I remember occasions when I could easily have been extremely unlucky. I'd like to think I've influenced my destiny but I'm in no way its master.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #5936883 - 08/06/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

.............I am not responsible for anything outside myself AND I am also not taking any responsibility for any harm cause thru my actions....I am free to do as I please.

How can you equate someone not wanting to provide charity to those who abuse charity and the welfare system that supports it with someone not taking any responsibility for any harm caused through their actions?

Just because I don't want to give the bum on the corner who is "homeless - God Bless" according to the sign $ 10 that will likely go towards booze that he drinks in his house doesn't mean I am not taking responsibility for harm caused through my actions.

In fact, I willfully choose not to give the $ 10 to the bum, and choose not to continue to let the welfare bitch slide on her rent that is legally owed me and I view that as being the proper course of action. Fuck em. Exactly. I worked hard for that house, all she has done is gouge the floors and put up pictures and smoked her Camel Lights. I haven't raised the rent in two years yet taxes, insurance, water, sewer, and garbage go up. Shall I continue to be her whipping boy and put up with no rent or late rent because of her sad story?

Boo hoo don't pay the bills. Fuck 'em.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#5936890 - 08/06/06 12:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It is true in every respect...not just to an extent. Don't worry about luck as true luck is random. Action and choice is NOT random. Our destiny is primarily determined by action and choice...not luck. I have been very unlucky. I have lived in poverty, been a severe alcoholic for 15 years, and felt at the mercy of others all of my life until my 30s. Now I control my future...all of my past hardship was based in choice and action...learning to control choice and action is the key.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5936907 - 08/06/06 12:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

well the thing is that you don't know the bum will spend it on booze. Yes, it's likely. But from your perspective the charity is a great boon, and it's HIS responsibility to do something good with it. At least in terms of karma, you'd be doing a good thing completely regardless of his actions.

I agree with many things you say and I have no patience for people not willing to work, especially those who just bitch when you don't give them absolutely everything ( when you give them anything ). However, what you're writing is also very judgemental.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5936912 - 08/06/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
That said, I think you overstate how easy it is to find a decent job.  I'm in a similarly privileged position as you.  I'm a college graduate living with my parents, who paid my entire way through college so that I wouldn't have student loans to worry about.  And yet, I still can't find a decent job.  Believe me, I'm trying.  I had planned on living in my own place by now, but that plan's gone to shit.  I keep having to push back the date for when I'm going to move out, cuz shit just isn't working.  And starting my own business?  Please!  We have a family curse when it comes to that.  The last successful entrepreneur in my family owned slaves.  So in the meantime, I'm sending out letters and resumes to whatever places that I might be qualified for, but it's not easy.

Not to sidetrack the topic, but I guess this does directly apply to the topic, if you are pursuing job oppurtunities, you have to be aggressive with it. You need to take the time to visit the specific place that you are applying for, and you need to address the person responsible for the position, or whoever they make you talk to. If you have a resume, it needs to be specifically centered around your interest in the specific position you are applying for. You need to be confident and give a great impression. Then you need to follow up, which means, call them the next day. Call them two days after that. Even if they close the job opportunity, you need to be following up with them to find out about new job opportunities.

You need to present yourself as an intelligent, capable individual who will be grateful for an opportunity to work there. Even if you lack job experience, you need to show that you are willing to work, learn, and develop.

Also, you need to be willing to put your foot in whatever door will open for you. You need to eliminate objections to basic, entry level positions that you might not feel you would like to work. Finding a job isn't about finding something you will enjoy doing, no, no no, not at first, at least, it is about finding any opportunity for you to make some money, which gives you an opportunity to make yourself enjoy it.

You need to stick out enough to get an interview, which is what the decision will be based on. In some places, this might simply mean a clean record and open job availability. :grin: Mostly, it is going to require being persistent and dedicated in ensuring that you will get the chance to be interviewed - you need to get your name to stick out by making them remember it, which means checking in and following up. :wink:

You are going to need the attitude that you cannot be concerned about being afraid of being interviewed, or feeling that you won't get the job, or that you will be rejected, you need to realize - I need this job, and I will do everything in my power to get it.

If you do get an interview, don't worry that you will be nervous about it - it is expected that people will be nervous in their interviews, and we are specifically trained to help people who are nervous. Its an uncomfortable situation because so much is at stake, but all we care about is knowing that you are willing to engage yourself, and that you will react to certain situations and pressure that will be applied in the job in an appropriate manner. At my workplace, we propose hypothetical situations and ask for examples of them being faced with similar situations, and specifically how they dealt with it.

If you are successfully coming out of college, then you have a lot of experience that is applicable, even if what you actually studied doesn't apply to the position in the slightest. You've had to deal with time constraints, deadlines, having a lot of projects at once, dealing with others in less than ideal situations, etc. etc. etc.

You are obviously capable, and you have to start somewhere. Retail establishments are always understaffed and will take on anyone who is willing to simply go in every day and do their job. Take that into consideration. Once you get a job, you will have more opportunities from there to get different jobs. Keep moving, plan ahead, and be confident in yourself. If you know that you are capable and that you deserve a good fucking job, then you will get one, as long as you fully apply yourself.

Good luck, my friend, I was once in your exact same position (but without the whole college thing :lol:) and it was my dad that got me moving, in the way that I described, and it works. :thumbup:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5936916 - 08/06/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
If you want I can hook you up with this woman and she will be glad to cry on your shoulder and tell you all about how life has dealt her a cruel hand.

:lol:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5936921 - 08/06/06 12:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the encouraging words. I didn't mean for this to be about me. I only used myself as an example of how even those with better opportunities can still face great difficulty in the job market. As for showing up at the place, I should mention that the places I'm applying to are out-of-state(the rents in CA are ridiculous), so in order to show up for an interview, I have to plan a road trip.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: vampirism]
    #5936930 - 08/06/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Are you aware that many of the "homeless bums" can actually make more money per month standing on the corner begging than they can working a minimum job? I mean think about it, one $ 10 in an hour and a half is better pay. Particularly after taxes. Whether booze or not, these are largely folks that don't look homeless but boy can they play the part. I choose not to pay them money.

Now, having said that, the drunk indian at the recycle place already chugging a 40 I gladly gave my empties to. He at least was bringing back recycles to buy more beer so I figured he was that enterprising plus it was obvious he would buy more beer with mine or who knows maybe a sandwich. An honest drunk recycling is better to my way of thinking than a deceitful drunk with some dumb sign.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5936945 - 08/06/06 12:54 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly, better opportunities does not mean that one is going to effectively seize those opportunties.

What kind of jobs are you applying for? Location could be a factor that they take into consideration. If you don't find much luck in applying for jobs that are out-of-state, I would suggest finding a basic job in your area, simply so that you are generating your own funds and can hook your parents up with some of it. I'm simply saying that, in the short-term, grab any fucking job you can - having a job will not in any way prevent you from getting another job, as it will only help you. Then, at the very least, you'll have some money for a road trip. :wink:

But ja, grab any job you can at first, anything to show the people you are really interested in working with that you are willing to work, and that you have worked before. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5936960 - 08/06/06 12:58 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

All good advice FW.  Nice to not mention the name Wal-Mart in your initial pitch.  Kind of like Amway back in the day... :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5936966 - 08/06/06 01:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Road Trip!

Think Animal House and you will at least have fun at the interviews or at least be drunk.

Toga!

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5936973 - 08/06/06 01:02 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
What kind of jobs are you applying for?

Mainly the non-profit sector and state or county government jobs. Right now, I'm volunteering at a non-profit in my area, hoping to build up my resume. I know that non-profit jobs are based largely on reputation, so I'm trying to build that reputation now, even if it means working for free.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5937004 - 08/06/06 01:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So you do non-profit work for others so you can further your own situation ???

Well I hope you are not of the mind set of many in this thread

P.S......I was seriously involved with non-profits for many years. Sat on the board of directors twice..So I know this....The people that make 6 figures in this field didn't make 6 figures because that was their drive, to make 6 figures. They did what they loved first.....Then the money followed.

What I am saying is if you really want to have a very successfull career in service.......you must embrace the idea of others first....or you will be stuck at 40 grand a year

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5937012 - 08/06/06 01:15 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Mainly the non-profit sector and state or county government jobs.  Right now, I'm volunteering at a non-profit in my area, hoping to build up my resume.  I know that non-profit jobs are based largely on reputation, so I'm trying to build that reputation now, even if it means working for free.

Interesting. :cool:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5937032 - 08/06/06 01:22 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Also, you need to be willing to put your foot in whatever door will open for you. You need to eliminate objections to basic, entry level positions that you might not feel you would like to work. Finding a job isn't about finding something you will enjoy doing, no, no no, not at first, at least, it is about finding any opportunity for you to make some money, which gives you an opportunity to make yourself enjoy it.

Excellent point! I have a few friends who came home after completing college now and they still don't have jobs. They all seemed to expect to be given great, high paying jobs right out of college. I'm tired of hearing, "I didn't graduate from [insert university] to be a [insert profession]."  Buncha bums if ya ask me.

Luckily, I have one friend who has an interview with Toyota. Unfortunately, he is unwilling to even try to get an interview with any other car company because he "doesn't like the way they run their business."  :rolleyes:

The moral of the story: You have to start from the bottom and move up!

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5937051 - 08/06/06 01:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yes exactly..............Great Pay comes from great work

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5937088 - 08/06/06 01:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Luckily, I have one friend who has an interview with Toyota. Unfortunately, he is unwilling to even try to get an interview with any other car company because he "doesn't like the way they run their business."  :rolleyes:

:smirk:

I wonder if he ever considered infiltrating the other automobile companies and changing them from within. :lol:

Having ideals conflicts with finding entry-level position jobs, its as simple as that. I am personally concerned with the state of the world, the consumer pulse, and all of that, and yet I work with the company that caters to that pulse more than any other, quite possibly. What can I do? Not be such a consumer myself, ultimately. My production assists the consumption of others, but that doesn't make me responsible for the state of the world. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#5937100 - 08/06/06 01:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Great point...even an evil empire can be made a little less evil...

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5937106 - 08/06/06 01:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

A business simply supplies a demand, and yet people will lash out agansit a business even as they create more demand for the service it provides... :lol:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinetrunksan
PsyChicken
Male

Loc: UK, Hellas
    #5937124 - 08/06/06 02:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It may sound wierd:
I have all the qualifications that big companies want, University degree, foreign languages, experience, good with computers, travelled abroad, volunteered......
I get called by companies all the time for graduate jobs but I really don't want the responsibility that comes with it, for the time I'm happy with entry level jobs.I'm a receptionist at a small hotel and I spend most of my time online....

On the topic:
I can't understand why you make such a big fuss about the whole thing.

The benefit system exists for times when people fall into hardships, as a member of the society I'm glad that some of my money gets used to help people that are not as lucky as me.
The problem arises when people willingly take advantage of it or don't try to get out of their situation.
There are people that are truely in need.

It is surprising how selfish and isolated we have become. In a rural community in any third world country such a problem wouldn't exist because a member's problem is also the community's problem, so it would have stepped in to help the individual/family.
No wonder depression is something that is icompehensible there.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#5937140 - 08/06/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

true

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #5937171 - 08/06/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

*rubs shit from eyes, goes "hmmmmmm" because there are 17 replies to my thread...

LunarEclipse...I'm sorry you have to deal with that woman...not just the paying part, but listening to her demands part. :vomit:

"Thinking" doesn't cut it. Everyone thinks, but how many act on their thoughts? Acting is the most powerful tool for change.

I think, I desire change, I move toward action (read below).  My friends think, they have no desire to change their situation, they do not move toward action.

i can see both sides to the dilemma you present. one side relies heavily on emotions.  They say I have no emotions...I believe them to a degree...I certainly have less emotions than them.

I AM EGO BASED.  Is that not something to be proud of??

I like my friends, we have fun together.  We have been friends for a few years and arguments between us roll into the river in the end.  I do not know if they harbor deep resentment for me as they do not show it in our daily interactions.  I harbor no resentment toward them, seriously.  I am very well aware that my opinions are in the minority,  but that should never be a reason to yield it to others.  I'd love to meet some people more like me, but that doesn't mean I don't like the people in my life who disagree with me.

One thing that was touched on was that I am the person who I am speaking down on at the moment.  It is true that I am doing research related to my future goal attainment and putting my business together piece by piece , but I have yet to file the necessary papers and actually do the field correspondence and make those $$.  A big part of their argument is that I am one of the lucky ones who is sucking on my parent's teets as they are paying tuition and rent.

You know though, I'm not slacking off in college or anything, I have 6 classes left to take to satisfy BA requirments in my area of study...biz management.  I'm starting my 4th year.  I will finish in 4, which apparently is some sort of achievment these days.  The friends I argue with have the same monetary help from their parents as I do but they have slacked off at community college, not working, just slacking, not taking the amount of classes needed to graduate in 4...in 5 years, just slacking.  They have around 60 units, I have 101...all in the same time, all with the same help. 

I just finished 2 summer school classes (rode my bike 5 miles up hill Mon-Thurs at 8am for 8 weeks) so I can take 3 classes each semester this year instead of 4...so I can have the time to work harder than ever so when college is over, I will be in gear for the next move.  I've tailored my schedule to give me time to research, to give me time to master my plans, and to give me time to plan my actions...sure I haven't yet 'acted' in the way some people consider action, but that doesn't mean I'm stuck in a world of inaction.  I am seeing my college goals through, I am acting on those plans, that is my current situation.  When the $$ chase is the next step, my ambition and my intelligence WILL provide for me...I am not a baseless dreamer.

My mother: "I just got your checking account statement at the house and I notice there is $6 in it."

Me: "I just transfered $500 from my savings into my checking yesterday."

Mother: "You shouldn't be spending your savings...its your savings you know...do want me to put some money in?"

Me: "Thank you, but you really do more than enough as it is by paying my rent and tuition ($9000/year total help).  I really do appreciate it mom, but wouldn't feel right about that."

Am I unduly proud by not accepting these extra funds??  Or is this the practical action of my beliefs??  I could get her to buy me anything, but I don't.  My parents try to give me cash for food/entertainment when I visit home, but I always decline.  I have my own, thank you, you guys really do sooo much for me as it is.  I couldn't take more.

I do, however, not feel bad about accepting the $9000/year because they chose to bring me into the world.  We could make another thread about it :lol: but existence may well be a little more of a personal conflict for me than most people (I'm not saying nobody but me suffers in existence).  I feel like  it's a chip on my shoulder for which they are responsible, so their charity is acceptable until my own is sufficient.  My own WILL be sufficient.  I'm proud of them for honoring their part of the deal...but I could never tell them I feel this way...their bubbble shall remain intact.  But TODAY...what about the people who's parent's didn't follow through on what you consider a parental obligation?  Let them figure it out.  OUCH!!?? 

I 'suffer' :lol: from some sort of social disorder.  I can't maintain personal relationships as well as I see others do it.  Do I sit and cry about it?? Fuck no, it doesn't bother me, what's to be sad about??...right now, an intimate relationship would get in the way of my business goals, and those are the most important to me.  I know what I want, I know who I am, I don't ask to live another's life.

I've never been psychoanalyzed or anything, but I know there is something about me society would call 'wrong'...even borderline sociopathic.  This is why, in my opinion, I have little empathy for others...especially strangers.  What to do about it?  Nothing, except exactly what I want.  I will not be responsible for the hard wiring of my brain during my adolescence.  This is how I have always thought...to change my brain's hard wiring I'd have to get a lobotomy.  Am I playing the part of the helpless victim??  No, I'm taking what I have and I'm running with it.

My argument regarding me being selfish by working to meet my goals is, why is that selfish?  I'll state it again that if somebody feels a social obligation to somebody else then they are being selfish by not becoming a billionaire business leader for the purpose of giving their money away.  If somebody felt as strongly about others' well being as I do about my well being, then they are being selfish by not working toward what I am working toward.

A good job may be hard to find, IDK anything about that...but sending out resumes will not help.  To get what you want, you really have to get in somebody's face and sell yourself...which you've heard before no doubt.  There are good jobs! There aren't good jobs for passive folks, unless you know somebody.  Take action, idk what else to say.

Fucknuckle:

You seem the most intensly affected by my statements.  If you read this new post of mine, explaining my personal situation, and you think I'm still a no-good teet sucker you should realize that my business pursuits will be acted on because I want $$ all for me, but in the process I plan to provide jobs for CAPABLE workers for fair pay.  I'll happily pay my workers directly $12/hr (almost twice min wage) for unskilled labor if I'm not paying the difference to the gov to provide certain social services.  If a person needs the gov to provide retirement services then that person has no confidence in their own ability to save or to invest, then shiiiiiit, they fucked up.  There is no place here for talk of righteous living, as that is too subjective a term.  Our righteousnesses are in conflict, therefore there is no righteousness.  Oh yeah, I don't believe in a Godly standard of righteousness, so lets forget that too.

Anyone who says their family is "cursed" as to self employment has already conceded defeat as to that possibility. :thumbup:

Thank you for your opinions people.  I respect that you were willing enough to argue with me and to share your points...even if we disagree.

:matrix2:

I've spent alot of time on this, I may not be willing to spend more as I have things to do today. :smirk:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5937217 - 08/06/06 02:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I wasn't talking about Righteous living..I get a little  torqued off by people just assuming they know why or why not a person needs helps etc..... As I assumed something about you...I am sorry

Point is this people excel in life by putting other first...........That is the plain truth

And listen here.......life is not in black in white. Only 5 % of the people make it to a comfortable retirement..........so you have a 95% chance to fuck up:rolleyes:

The world is a vampire don't forget it. You have many many many struggles way beyond you wildest possible dreams coming before you.

Get ready my friend

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5937256 - 08/06/06 02:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:

P.S......I was seriously involved with non-profits for many years. Sat on the board of directors twice..So I know this....The people that make 6 figures in this field didn't make 6 figures because that was their drive, to make 6 figures. They did what they loved first.....Then the money followed.

What I am saying is if you really want to have a very successfull career in service.......you must embrace the idea of others first....or you will be stuck at 40 grand a year

If it was really the money I cared about, then I wouldn't be looking into the non-profit sector. I only care about money insofar as it is needed to support myself.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5937308 - 08/06/06 03:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

Fucknuckle said:

P.S......I was seriously involved with non-profits for many years. Sat on the board of directors twice..So I know this....The people that make 6 figures in this field didn't make 6 figures because that was their drive, to make 6 figures.  They did what they loved first.....Then the money followed.

If it was really the money I cared about, then I wouldn't be looking into the non-profit sector.  I only care about money insofar as it is needed to support myself.

Well I wasn;t trying to say you were .More like putting the question out there :wink: Good I am glad to hear you have got some good thoughts about your life's path. Goodluck with it. Non-profit is a great job and can be a very good paying job source

--------------------

Invisibledorkus
Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) *DELETED* [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5937806 - 08/06/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: dorkus]
    #5937899 - 08/06/06 06:21 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dr_mandelbrot said:
So basically you're saying kiss asses and sell your soul to satan?

No, I'm saying sit in your room and wait until the golden princess fairy flies through your window and grants you the perfect job opportunity. :lol:

Its as simple as this: if you want a job, then you get one.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisibledorkus
Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) *DELETED* [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5937913 - 08/06/06 06:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: dorkus]
    #5937916 - 08/06/06 06:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Did you rape her and steal her gold? :smile:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

#14393377 - 05/03/11 08:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:

Everybody in the USA has access to free information (public libraries), therefore they have the opportunity to change their economic status by studying and then making related economic plans/business decisions.

But not everyone has access to education or parents that have raised them to develop the critical faculties that would be required for that^

OfflineSnozz
Nexus Refugee

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: helix]
    #14393462 - 05/03/11 08:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

aronf13 said:
Quote:

TODAY said:

But not everyone has access to education or parents that have raised them to develop the critical faculties that would be required for that^

Exactly...OP, self-actualization is great; but to act as though there is not a historical context in which we are living today is foolish. Just to give one example; Black Americans were socially dead for the first ~200 years of their American experience. They literally were not allowed to exist as people in any capacity. This history is still playing out today, largely because things were never really changed, Jim Crow supplanted slavery, which in turn was supplanted by Political Correctness and the deodorization of Race and the Civil Rights movement. Which ultimately led to, (as Brother Cornell West put it) the Niggerization of Black people, where Blacks are forced to defend their humanity as a de facto position, before anything else can even be addressed. However, this is so rooted in the system in which we find outselves that it is not immediatly visible; or rather it is visible, but not understood for what it is. So you have people railing about welfare and ultimately using government aid-recipients as synonymous with Blacks, when the statistics don't support it.

The blanket statements made about what everyone "has" or "doesn't have", be it access to education, resources, or whatever expose a rather naive and ill-informed worldview, imo. Nothing exists within in a vacuum...perhaps this is not the case with your friends...but then I would suggest you talk about your friends and not make inaccurate, sweeping generalizations.

Offlinepouihi
Mary Jane Doe
 User Gallery

#14393956 - 05/03/11 11:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
I AM EGO BASED.  Is that not something to be proud of??

That depends on how much ego based you are and how you put it, I don't know you so I wouldn't know.

For what you said you just look like the typical political individualist, I don't see the problem with that or why your friends shouldn't get along well.

It's hard not to identify with the individualistic point of view because you see so many injustices and many times lazy bumps profiting from your contributions, but in the real world and in the way things are that just isn't the solution.

Imagine you have the tough luck of having a car accident and get quadriplegic?? Will you starve to death because you can't produce??
Imagine those houses where probably only one of the parents work and the mother just keep having kids? Shouldn't these kids be allowed o have education, health, whatever?
Somethings would work if the world just wasn't the way it is already and if you want to live in a community you do have to think that you're not alone.

And don't get me wrong, I have some individualistic point of views to, not all, but I have already realized it can't work.

Have you considered the problem might also be with your friends?
I have friends with capitalist ideas, pro bullfights, anti abortion, and I'm none of those, we have had our discussions on that matter and realized we had opposite views, so what? We know that if we talk about it will be one of those endless debates like religion/atheism, so we do the things that we have in common.

The only people I can't look the same way after having a discussion are people who praise nazism, racism, xenophobia, etc.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: My friends don't understand my views (this is an OPEN thread) [Re: Snozz]
    #14394082 - 05/03/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Snozz said:
Quote:

aronf13 said:
Quote:

TODAY said:

Exactly...OP, self-actualization is great; but to act as though there is not a historical context in which we are living today is foolish. Just to give one example; Black Americans were socially dead for the first ~200 years of their American experience. They literally were not allowed to exist as people in any capacity. This history is still playing out today, largely because things were never really changed, Jim Crow supplanted slavery, which in turn was supplanted by Political Correctness and the deodorization of Race and the Civil Rights movement. Which ultimately led to, (as Brother Cornell West put it) the Niggerization of Black people, where Blacks are forced to defend their humanity as a de facto position, before anything else can even be addressed. However, this is so rooted in the system in which we find outselves that it is not immediatly visible; or rather it is visible, but not understood for what it is. So you have people railing about welfare and ultimately using government aid-recipients as synonymous with Blacks, when the statistics don't support it.

The blanket statements made about what everyone "has" or "doesn't have", be it access to education, resources, or whatever expose a rather naive and ill-informed worldview, imo. Nothing exists within in a vacuum...perhaps this is not the case with your friends...but then I would suggest you talk about your friends and not make inaccurate, sweeping generalizations.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
yes EXACTLY, this is everything i was thinking when i wrote that statement^:)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals