Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
GOP memo says issue offers political rewards.
    #3964689 - 03/24/05 02:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002213728_memo20.html

WASHINGTON ? Republican leaders believe their attention to the Terri Schiavo issue could pay dividends with Christian conservatives whose support they covet in the 2006 midterm elections, according to a GOP memo intended to be seen only by senators.

The one-page memo, distributed to Republican senators by party leaders, called the debate over Schiavo legislation "a great political issue" that would appeal to the party's base, or core, supporters. The memo singled out Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., who is up for re-election next year.

"This is an important moral issue, and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, reported by ABC News and later given to The Washington Post. "This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a co-sponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats."

i saw this all over the news sunday and now it looks like this memo is fake.

did Peter Jennings not learn from Dan Rather.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (03/24/05 02:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3964823 - 03/24/05 02:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's definitely fake?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Dovers - The Third Eye

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: Learyfan]
    #3964884 - 03/24/05 02:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7935

it looks shady. i am starting to wonder if the republicans are giving the democrats these memos to run with.

Washington Prowler
Dirty Democrat Pool
By The Prowler
Published 3/24/2005 12:08:04 AM
It's Rathergate all over again, and the same vigilant entities that brought about to the collapse of CBS News could now also cause heads to roll among Democratic Senate leadership staffers and further shame multiple news organizations that would appear to have fallen for another document hoax.

Very quietly, Senate Republican leadership aides to both Sen. Rick Santorum and Sen. Mitch McConnell, as well as the Senate Republican Policy Committee, have been using the Senate recess break to reconstruct the purported distribution of a document that media outlets, including ABC News, the New York Times and a number of regional newspapers, identified as Senate "GOP talking points" on the Terri Schiavo fight that unfolded over the weekend.

"There is a process here for documents like this that are passed around down on the Senate floor, which is where the media claimed that the 'talking points' were being distributed last Thursday," says a Republican policy committee staffer. "There was a lot of stuff going on Thursday, but a document like this one was not being distributed. As far as we know, the only documents being handed out related to votes on a series of amendments being pushed through before the recess. Schiavo wasn't part of that package."

The document, which was posted online by ABC News, as well as several Democratic-leaning websites, was unsigned, bore no Senate office letterhead, and was rife with errors, including the incorrect Senate bill number and the misspelling of Schiavo's name. For days, Republicans denied any knowledge of the document, and a number of Republican Senators claimed they had never seen it.

Beginning over the weekend, when doubts about the document first appeared on the blogosphere, the document's provenance began to unspool. Conservative blogs Powerline, In the Agora, and Fishkite all have been out front on the story. A number of blogs found language almost identical to the "talking points" on a post at the Traditional Values Coalition website. ABC News then posted the language of the purported document but not the actual document itself.

ABC News earlier this week was claiming to a number of online reporters that it never intended to create the impression that this was a Republican-generated document, only that it had been circulated among Republican Senators. The Washington Post claimed that it had confirmed the document's provenance, but could not reveal the source.

However, Republican leadership staffers now believe the document was generated out of the Democratic opposition research office set up recently by Sen. Harry Reid, and distributed to some Democratic Senate staffers claiming it was a GOP document, in the hope -- or more likely expectation -- that it would then be leaked by those Democrats to reporters. In fact, the New York Times stated that it was Democratic staffers who were distributing the "talking points" document.

"Democrats have tried to pin this document on Santorum's staff, on [Sen. Bill] Frist's staff, on [Sen. Sam] Brownback's staff," says a Senate leadership staffer. "Watching the investigation underway on line has energized us enough up here to want to at least confirm that we weren't the source, and everything we have found would confirm that Republicans didn't generate this memo. This is just amateurish, and perhaps Democratic staffers think we put out work product like this, but it's laughable."

The staffer added that while just about any House or Senate staffer with an email account could readily distribute a document, it was a huge stretch to believe that such a document would end up being widely distributed by or even to Senators in the cloakroom or in the well of the Senate. "This has all the telltale signs of a political dirty trick," says the staffer.

Other Republican staffers blame not only Democrats but also the mainstream media which once again put out a story to embarrass Republicans before checking all the facts first.

Republicans staffers looking into the "talking points" case believe that at least some of the language used for the original Traditional Values Coalition may have come from documents pulled together by the staff of Sen. Mel Martinez, who has been out front on the Schiavo case, and pressed hard for federal action to save her life. But there is no evidence that the talking points were a Martinez staff product.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (03/24/05 02:50 PM)

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3964944 - 03/24/05 03:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wish our government was held accountable for using false intelligence like the media is.

That'd be swell.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Dovers - The Third Eye

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#3964978 - 03/24/05 03:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yes. and that's why i am addicted to the shroomery PAL.

you get to see both sides to the issue.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3965004 - 03/24/05 03:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Way to make it all relative for us, there, Learyfan. You sure have your finger on the pulse of moral........something. Maybe. Kinda.

This is not "intelligence." "Intelligence" as I take it you mean is knowledge of actual real conditions. This, on the other hand, is the press, once again, suspending any semblance of professional skepticism and going with a juicy story, regardless of veracity or even the least bit of corroboration. "Well, of course Santorum denies it, that just proves it's true." When the mainstream press falls prey to the same disease as the most egregious idiots on this forum you know that the blogosphere didn't come one second too soon.
I'll tell you children, the blogosphere is NOT a boon to moonbats.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3965350 - 03/24/05 04:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Karl Rove did it.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3965729 - 03/24/05 06:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

that the blogosphere didn't come one second too soon

Too bad the blogoshpere barely does any of its own reporting and piggybacks on the journalism (I use the term loosely) of the MSM. For the most part, any individual blogger does little but piss and moan about the MSM in a holier than thou fashion to the slant of his/her intended demographic. Without the general ineptitude of the newsmedia and widespread frustration with it, the blogosphere wouldn't exist. They are editorials of editorials and will do little to change the journalistic abyss of sensationalism as they promote and rely on it.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3966012 - 03/24/05 07:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DirtMcgirt said:
Quote:

that the blogosphere didn't come one second too soon

Too bad the blogoshpere barely does any of its own reporting and piggybacks on the journalism (I use the term loosely) of the MSM. For the most part, any individual blogger does little but piss and moan about the MSM in a holier than thou fashion to the slant of his/her intended demographic. Without the general ineptitude of the newsmedia and widespread frustration with it, the blogosphere wouldn't exist. They are editorials of editorials and will do little to change the journalistic abyss of sensationalism as they promote and rely on it.

There is now a citizen fact-checking network. It never existed before. Most of it is editorializing and selective linking. So what,it never made any aspersions otherwise. I don't agree that it will do little about the "journalism of least common denominator." By holding the people who get paid to task it will actually make them do their work for a change. I'm not sure there was ever a time when any single journalist or paper could be considered square, but there used to be a lot more papers than there are now. So we get the blogosphere, where, if you doubt something you can actually check the source yourself. You don't have to rely on the headlines, you can check the sources yourself.

And you are very wrong if you think that the blogosphere wouldn't exist if not for the foolish "professional's" failure. It's here regardless.

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3967773 - 03/25/05 08:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not saying that blogs aren't a good thing.  Although, I admit, in my various altered states I tend to get a little touchy and in hindsight I probably would have left your post alone in sobriety.  :drunk: 

What I hate most about bloggers is that they tend to be so self promoting which is annoying considering even the best of them tend to be so redundant among themselves.  Its all editorializing the news which is hardly new or innovative.  Its just found a new way to become mass produced.  In the end, it is garbage literature; I prefer to think for myself instead of some lonely bastard telling me what he thinks--I've had more self reflection reading shroomery PA&L then blogs which I probably spend equal time reading.  Its funny, the most new exposure to blogs actually comes from the MSM and especially TV because ( I think anyways) they are using them as a minor league of sorts to recruit new newspaper editorialists and TV anchors.

Quote:

And you are very wrong if you think that the blogosphere wouldn't exist if not for the foolish "professional's" failure. It's here regardless.

Yeah, but they (95%+) would have little to write about otherwise.  Which is a good thing regardless of how lame most of them are, I guess,  as you pointed out....fuck....you're right...I gotta stop posting when I'm tossed.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3968080 - 03/25/05 11:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the blogosphere is as relable as any other media outlet which means it sucks.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #4025621 - 04/07/05 12:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Author of Schiavo memo steps forward
Sen. Martinez accepts senior aide?s resignation
By Mike Allen
The Washington Post
Updated: 11:33 p.m. ET April 6, 2005
The legal counsel to Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) admitted yesterday that he was the author of a memo citing the political advantage to Republicans of intervening in the case of Terri Schiavo, the senator said in an interview last night.

Brian Darling, a former lobbyist for the Alexander Strategy Group on gun rights and other issues, offered his resignation and it was immediately accepted, Martinez said.

Martinez said he earlier had been assured by aides that his office had nothing to do with producing the memo. "I never did an investigation, as such," he said. "I just took it for granted that we wouldn't be that stupid. It was never my intention to in any way politicize this issue."

Martinez, a freshman who was secretary of housing and urban development for most of President Bush's first term, said he had not read the one-page memo. He said he inadvertently passed it to Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), who had worked with him on the issue. After that, other Senate aides gave the memo to reporters for ABC News and The Washington Post.

Harkin said in an interview that Martinez handed him the memo on the Senate floor, in hopes of gaining his support for the bill giving federal courts jurisdiction in the Florida case in an effort to restore the Florida woman's feeding tube. "He said these were talking points -- something that we're working on here," Harkin said.

The mystery of the memo's origin had roiled the Capitol, with Republicans accusing Democrats of concocting the document as a dirty trick, and Democrats accusing Republicans of trying to duck responsibility for exploiting the dying days of a brain-damaged woman.

Conservative Web logs have challenged the authenticity of the memo, in some cases likening it to the discredited documents about Bush's National Guard service that CBS News reported last fall.

?A great political issue?
The staff of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, at the request of a Democrat, spent a week trying to determine the memo's origin and had come up empty, said an official involved in the investigation.

The unsigned memo -- which initially misspells Schiavo's first name and gives the wrong number for the pending bill -- includes eight talking points in support of the legislation and calls the controversy "a great political issue."

"This legislation ensures that individuals like Terri Schiavo are guaranteed the same legal protections as convicted murderers like Ted Bundy," the memo concludes.

It asserts that the case would appeal to the party's core supporters, saying: "This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue."

The document was provided to ABC News on March 18 and to The Post on March 19 and was included in news reports about congressional intervention in the Schiavo case. Bush returned from an Easter vacation in Texas and signed the bill shortly after 1 a.m. on March 21.

At the time, other Senate Republican aides claimed to be familiar with the memo but declined to discuss it on the record and gave no information about its origin.

In a statement issued last night, Martinez said that Harkin asked him for background information on the bill and that he gave him what he thought was a routine one-page staff memo on the legislation. "Unbeknownst to me, instead of my one page on the bill, I had given him a copy of the now infamous memo that at some point along the way came into my possession," the statement said.

Harkin said that when he read the part about the politics of the case he thought that was "rather out of line," but he said he did not discuss the matter with Martinez. Harkin said he has no complaints about Martinez.

"I really worked in good faith with Senator Martinez on this issue and I found him to be a decent, caring person to work with on this, and so I have a lot of respect for him," Harkin said.

Martinez said Harkin called him about 5 p.m. yesterday and told him that the memo had come from his office. Martinez said he then called in his senior staff and said, "Something is wrong here." He said that Darling later confessed to John Little, Martinez's chief of staff, and that he said he did not think he had ever printed the memo.

?A working draft?
"It was intended to be a working draft," Martinez said. "He doesn't really know how I got it."

Efforts to reach Darling last night were unsuccessful.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), a member of the Rules and Administration Committee, wrote to the panel's leaders last week to ask for an investigation into the "document, its source, and how it came to be distributed."

"Those who would attempt to influence debate in the United States Senate should not hide behind anonymous pieces of paper," he said.

A Republican Senate official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not a committee spokesman, said yesterday that an informal inquiry began almost immediately and is likely to be concluded within a week. He said that conversations with senators, aides and reporters have turned up nothing definitive and that the inquiry is likely to end with a letter to Lautenberg saying just that.

Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said in an interview Friday that he considered it "ludicrous" to suggest that his party created the document and said Republicans were using such talk to divert responsibility.

"I guess the best defense is a good offense -- that's their theory," he said.

In interviews at the Capitol yesterday, senators from both sides said they find the case perplexing, and a sign of the intense partisanship that permeates the building. Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) said that the torrent of accusations reflects the bitterness over the life-and-death issues in the Schiavo case, which he said were a proxy on both sides for what provokes "every other ugly political conversation -- that's abortion."

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) said he believed that the memo originated with the GOP because it is "totally consistent" with how the Republicans have operated for the past four years. "They just shouldn't lose their memos," he said.

? 2005 The Washington Post Company

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: GOP memo says issue offers political rewards. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #4025690 - 04/07/05 12:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm...Guess thats one "Goddamn Liberal Media Making Up Stories" story that turned out to be true.

Tom Delay must be pissed, he was already setting up to make it look like a democratic witch hunt.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4025786 - 04/07/05 12:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"This is an important moral issue, and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, reported by ABC News and later given to The Washington Post. "This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a co-sponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats."

Perhaps they should think a bit more carefully...

This is an important moral issue. As such, it should be debated and decided by local communities, families, and churches. This is a horrid political issue, because most people do not want congress micormanaging their personal values, their families, or their lives.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion