Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

The Fox News Memo
    #2090261 - 11/10/03 08:05 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

http://poynter.org/forum/?id=thememo

From CHARLIE REINA: So Chris Wallace says Fox News Channel really is fair and balanced. Well, I guess that settles it. We can all go home now. I mean, so what if Wallace's salary as Fox's newest big-name anchor ends with a whole lot of zeroes? So what if he hasn't spent a day in the FNC newsroom yet?

My advice to the pundits: If you really want to know about bias at Fox, talk to the grunts who work there - the desk assistants, tape editors, writers, researchers and assorted producers who have to deal with it every day. Ask enough of them what goes on, promise them anonymity, and you'll get the real story.

The fact is, daily life at FNC is all about management politics. I say this having served six years there - as producer of the media criticism show, News Watch, as a writer/producer of specials and (for the last year of my stay) as a newsroom copy editor. Not once in the 20+ years I had worked in broadcast journalism prior to Fox - including lengthy stays at The Associated Press, CBS Radio and ABC/Good Morning America - did I feel any pressure to toe a management line. But at Fox, if my boss wasn't warning me to "be careful" how I handled the writing of a special about Ronald Reagan ("You know how Roger [Fox News Chairman Ailes] feels about him."), he was telling me how the environmental special I was to produce should lean ("You can give both sides, but make sure the pro-environmentalists don't get the last word.")
--------- snip
The Memo was born with the Bush administration, early in 2001, and, intentionally or not, has ensured that the administration's point of view consistently comes across on FNC. This year, of course, the war in Iraq became a constant subject of The Memo. But along with the obvious - information on who is where and what they'll be covering - there have been subtle hints as to the tone of the anchors' copy. For instance, from the March 20th memo: "There is something utterly incomprehensible about Kofi Annan's remarks in which he allows that his thoughts are 'with the Iraqi people.' One could ask where those thoughts were during the 23 years Saddam Hussein was brutalizing those same Iraqis. Food for thought." Can there be any doubt that the memo was offering not only "food for thought," but a direction for the FNC writers and anchors to go?  Especially after describing the U.N. Secretary General's remarks as "utterly incomprehensible"?

---------
Awesome :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: The Fox News Memo [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2090312 - 11/10/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Golly gee wilikers!

Assuming this is factual....
where's your sense of outrage at all the other networks?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: The Fox News Memo [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2090330 - 11/10/03 08:28 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Im just as outraged at every fucked up conservative right wing sham of free media.

But fox news has a guy who worked there write about his experience in the link above.

Didnt realize my one word reponse merited the term outrage. :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2090360 - 11/10/03 08:47 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, I read it. But why give it any more credence than when there's an article that say's basically the opposite? Especially when the majority of Americans feel that there is a left leaning bias in the media?

The term "outrage" was perhaps a wee bit of an exaggeration on my part.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2090397 - 11/10/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

It's a personal experience that needs to definately get taken into account. We rarely get glimpses inside the media.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2090449 - 11/10/03 09:23 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
It's a personal experience that needs to definately get taken into account. We rarely get glimpses inside the media.

OK but what makes his story any more believable than that told by Chris Wallace? And the others who have told stories like his, and about how far left the news tilts?

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2090476 - 11/10/03 09:31 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Nothing, except that both sides must get out. There are many different ways of thinking. We see so very few views of the behind the scenes way our media is deliver to us, regardless of what bias you are claming. So they are all important.

Including this one.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2090500 - 11/10/03 09:38 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Yeah, I read it. But why give it any more credence than when there's an article that say's basically the opposite?

Because it simply confirms what anyone with half a brain already knew.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: The Fox News Memo [Re: silversoul7]
    #2090509 - 11/10/03 09:40 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

When you get all the way up to a half a brain, try re-reading it.  :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2090511 - 11/10/03 09:41 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

*rimshot*

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: The Fox News Memo [Re: silversoul7]
    #2090598 - 11/10/03 10:19 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

zing?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion