Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS)
    #391715 - 09/11/01 08:40 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I was out today looking for more weilii patches since we just had a nice rain. I didn't find any weilii, but while walking a flood plain that no longer floods, I found a Psilocybe that I didn't recognize. It appeared to be growing from a brownish clay, but there might have been some burried wood under there somewhere. It has a seperable pellicle, and purple spores(I didn't print it but I can tell they are purple) The very base of the stem appeared to stain blue a few minutes after picking. I planned on bringing it home and then checking better for bruising as it takes a while some times, and I was also going to print it, so I put it in my camera case ontop of my camera(I didn;t have anything to put it in at the time) I pulled the camera out to view my pictures on the walk back to the car, and like a dumbass forgot there was a mushroom in my camera case and it fell out somewhere along the way. I lost it :( I'm going back tommarow to look for more, and will keep an eye on the area until more fruit. Here are the pics I took today.....

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #391808 - 09/11/01 10:11 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Any ideas? Woodsman, I'd like your opinion on this one if you have the time.

--------------------

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #391876 - 09/11/01 11:17 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

ahahah..i can't believe it...you found a maybe a new specie and you lose it...what a dumbass;)(j/k)

IL_FUNGO_SACRO la coltivazione, gli enteogeni, in italiano
Support the FSR

OfflineI_AM_THE_WALRUS
addict
    #391880 - 09/11/01 11:23 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

ps. coprophila (sp?) maybe???

TRIPLE DIPPED!?!?!?!

life.....its sexually transmitted and always fatal.

--------------------
TRIPLE DIPPED!?!?!?!

hey, kid.... you wanna buy some lsd?? -me

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #391931 - 09/12/01 12:19 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

my best geuss pelliculosa,second could be cyanfibrilosa. the latter tend to have fibrulous looking stems, but not allways. just how big was the subject shroom?

Edited by tchyted on 09/12/01 01:21 AM.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS) [Re: tchyted]
    #392239 - 09/12/01 10:37 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Its definately not coprophila, not only does the habitat not match(Though I have found coprophila in some odd places before) but the gills aren't right for it to be coprophila, nor is the stem length or color. Coprophila had a redish orange cap that fades to a straw yellow in drying, this mushrooms was yellow/whiteish and not at all dry, still very vicid. Coprophila would be lacking a seperable pellicle if it was dry to the point of having a yellow cap.

Workman suggested it may possibly be Ps. semiglobata, or even a substrain of some sort he has heard about happening with semiglobata. Obviously the mushroom I found doesn't have the veil structure that semiglobabta has, but its possible its a variation of semiglobata.

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #392365 - 09/12/01 01:00 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

This is kind of boggling. Not only does this mushroom not have the partial veil or annular zone, it has a conic cap.
It could possibly be some variation of Psilocybe(Stropharia) semiglobata, but doesn't the term *Semi-Globata* refer to *Partially Round*? This is my gather.
This mushroom does resemble a psilocybe in ways. Although, I've flipped through many books, as I'm sure you have also, and have not come across anything more closely resembling the viscidness, stem, and cap color than semiglobata.
The stem blued at the base after a few minutes? Well, Ps. semiglobata isn't active. You've found non-active such as Ps. coprophila before. Have you noticed any bluing in non-active species, LK? I never thought of that happening. I don't think I've ever run into non-active Psilocybe species before.
Man, you're bringing something new and sometimes very odd to these boards every other day! You're a dedicated guy, LK! I should learn from you, to spend alittle more time hunting, instead of procrastinating! You're an asset, man. Always finding new things. Awesome!
Stay cool and Stay together!-Levi7.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS) [Re: Levi7]
    #392373 - 09/12/01 01:11 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the kind words :) What can I say, its been a strange season so far, cubies in woodchips, I thought I'd never see the day, and wouldn't have believed it if I didn't pick them myself :) When your out of work and your an avid mushroom hunter, you would be suprised at the amount of time you can spend hunting :) If you put your hours in, good things will come your way.

The bluing speculation in this mushroom is just that, speculation. It was a faint color change in the stem itself, not in the mycelium at the stem base, and it appeared that it was going to be kinda green, and not so blue. But its easy to get that wishful sight syndrome, ya know? I went back today and didn't find a single one of em, or any pins that were visible either. I hope I find this one again, I'll always wonder about it if I don't, and that'd suck!

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #392421 - 09/12/01 02:22 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Hi LK,

IT happens to be a species of Stropharia.

Besides I should remiond you that there are approx. one hundred and twenty speices of Psilocybe world wide whichar enot spsychoactive.. Hypholoma species also have a sticky pellicle and purple-to-chocolate brown sproieprint.

I am in Thailand have a shroomy day,

Mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #392809 - 09/12/01 08:42 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

LK you asked for my opinion, so I admit utter bafflement. I've seen thousands of Stropharia (now Psilocybe?) semiglobata & those ain't them--cap shape, color, thickness of the pellicle, length of stem relative to cap width, habitat, & lack of a ring are all wrong.

Best I can guess is family: Stropharicae, genus: probably Psilocybe.

I've about given up on keeping up with myco-taxonomy: yesterday's Stropharia is today's Psilocybe is tomorrow's Hypholoma. Armilleria seems to be merging into Tricholoma. Can you imagine the chaos in zoology if lions, horses, & elephants kept getting reclassified to different genera every 3 or 4 years?

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS) [Re: Woodsman]
    #392819 - 09/12/01 08:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I hear ya woodsman :) Its a mess sometimes. I appreciate your opinion though, you too mj, and everyone else :) I'm going to go with some type of inactive psilocybe, maybe even an undocummented specie, it doesn't have to be active to be a new psilocybe species. I'm not at all sure about the bluing, if any, it was definitely faint, could have stained darker later, but as of now I will never know. It just doesn't have an active appearance to me, if it is indeed active, its probably on the weak side.

Again, thanks for everones thought and opinions :)

LK,

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #392878 - 09/12/01 09:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

thats no Psillycybe :)

that thing is bunko bro..

mjshroomer is in asia.
--:)

Lizard take look through the Nat. Aud. Mushroom book, you'll find a match..looks to be common actually..

shroom on
ggreat one

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #392918 - 09/12/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

was the stem hollow?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #392923 - 09/12/01 10:25 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

was the stem smooth or was it sticky?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #392936 - 09/12/01 10:34 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

psilocybe atatatATLANTISisisis g

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Found a Psilocybe that I can't ID(PICS) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #401796 - 09/23/01 04:05 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

did you ever positively ID these LK? i went subb hunting the other day and didnt find any subbs but i found about a dozen specimen that look just exactly like those..had the seperable sticky stuff on the cap and everything..the stem was real slimy as well..

some say the end is near some say we'll see armagedon soon..certainly hope we will..i sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit.

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck