Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics)
    #438170 - 10/27/01 02:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Does anyone know anything about this mushroom? The info that I have found has been inconclusive at best as to it's properties. Some say it is poisoness, others say active, others nothing. It doesn't really matter except for...I just need to know. Regardless it is one of the prettiest mushrooms I have ever seen. (The pics posted are not taken by me, just waiting to get them developed)...but these are them.

Cheers

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

Edited by SThomas (10/27/01 02:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: SThomas]
    #438174 - 10/27/01 02:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ok I suck, no pics...will try again.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #438280 - 10/27/01 04:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

They look like Aeruginosa - ill quote Stamets for you:-)
:
'Activity suspected but not known.'
He goes on to say that historically this mushroom is noted as poisonous without any elaboration maybe due to psilocybin content. ANd he knows of boiassays where the people have found no effect. In europe it is thought to be edible, but until -stamets suggests - the biochemistry is properly analysed, he suggests caution... hope that helps -great find

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #438456 - 10/27/01 12:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome find, St. Thomas!
Those musrhooms are like a mix of Stropharia ambigua and Psilocybe thrausta with some awesome color additive! LOL!
I've never found this species before. If I do, I will certainly try them! Hold up, though, that's just me, man! I know they won't kill me, but may not produce anything mentally, at the least.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: Levi7]
    #438471 - 10/27/01 01:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info guys, they are seriously the coolest mushrooms I have ever seen, very blue sometimes a little green. I also appreciate the info from Stamets, this is usefull. I believe that they are active...just needed to make sure that they are not deadly poison...Cheers
St Thomas

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #438500 - 10/27/01 02:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, St. Thomas, there are very few mushrooms that are actually "deadly poisonous"! Some Amanitas, Galerinas, Conocybe(only a few species, actually some contain the Psilocybian alkaloids. I think don't think it's actually a good idea to put different species, some deadly, some Psilocybian, of Conocybe into the same family! There should be definite seperation, but I'm not a Pro Myco, so I cannot dispute with conifidence of its change!), Cortinarius(disputable, because of the chemical agents that cause the sickkness. Deadly? Yes, potentially, but not realistic!) and Lepiota(Also disputable!).So the main concern with the potential of a life-threatening dose of mushrooms that were originally thought to be Psilocybian boils down to the families of Galerina and Conocybe. On another note, both of these families, being Galerina and Conocybe, have members that produce Psilocybian alkaloids(hallucinogenic) .
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: Levi7]
    #438552 - 10/27/01 03:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Levi7, these are most certainly not Galerina, or Conocybe...that I do know for sure. It has been several weeks since we first found them, and we have not eaten them yet. We were waiting for a positive ID, and info to the effect that it would not kill us if we tried them. I think I am almost ready to try them...very small dose at first, still will wait a few days before I go for it though, just to be sure. But my theories that this was in fact a Psilocybe has proven to be correct...took weeks of research, but I finally found the info on a Czech site...don't speak czech, but by fiancee does...lucky me...Cheers. Thanks for all of the help and advise
St Thomas

--------------------

InvisiblePsylosymon
Carpal Tunnel

#438568 - 10/27/01 04:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i agree with you dude,they are the most beautiful mushroom you can find!!!!! i used to find so many i could fill fuckin garbage bags. when i was younger i thot they were blue bells.( we all know blue bells are baeos tho.) so we tried them with no affect.we made tea tho,maybe eating them would make a difference.but i doubt it.i tried them 3 times with no high.

nice pics.

OfflineLCid
Close ToInsanity.
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: Psylosymon]
    #438638 - 10/27/01 05:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

damn good find thoes mushrooms are cool lookin :)

Offlineshaniatwain
pawn
    #438719 - 10/27/01 07:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yer right dude, they are aeruginascens, but i think the correct genus now is stropharia, not psilocybe, i could be wrong.....as far as caution goes, i would probably just pass these up. if they were active, we'd certainly know something about it, tho i don't think you'd die tryin. i would pass. there are so many psilocybes out right now. go get you some. look in waste areas, around logging shit, new construction, mulch....in the last week, in central to western oregon, i have personally found :pelliculosas, cyanescens, azurescens, baeocystis AND stuntzii. so there. aeruginascens is not a rare mushroom, i have found it frequently, in many places, all over the country....find something that gives you a hint that its active....like bluing!!!
make sure, dont take chances, it's too risky. also, while yer out there, try to get you some edibles, man, nothing beats chanterelle pizza, or pasta and king boletes.....peace,love, consciousness.......................

--------------------
yep.....

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: shaniatwain]
    #438724 - 10/27/01 07:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I love oysters and wild Portabellas...mmmm...I think that they used to be called strpharia, and now are called Psilocybe..not positive though. My problem is, that I live in Canada near the nations capital and Quebec. There are supposed to be a few magic mushees out here, but not as many as you on the west coast and in the south. We just found several pounds og Big laughing Gyms though, they are mild but all in all a lot of fun. The thing of it is, there is really not that much research being done out in this area. For some reason not a lot of people have been out to this prime mushroom hunting habitatsss. We have found over 400 species in the last couple of weeks alone, and it is the end of the season. We strongly believe that we have come across ones that are psilocybe...including this mushroom. If anyone else knows of mushies that we can find in this region it will be a great help....cheers
St Thomas

--------------------

Offlinerungi
journeymana

Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: shaniatwain]
    #438727 - 10/27/01 07:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Levi 7 why do you think it is poison. what is your source.
That mushoom pictured appears to be Stropharia Aeruginosa
which is according to simion and shuster page 208
Taste quite good without the viscous cuticle.

Offlineiono
Re: Found Psilocybe aeruginosa (pics) [Re: rungi]
    #439752 - 10/28/01 10:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thatz the ugliest thing ive ever seen! lo0kz like a slimy cock.. not that ive ever seen one?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification