Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics)
    #472941 - 11/28/01 09:22 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Found a great number of these last week, here is the habitat...behind the court house no less.

They were growing on wood mulch, under pine needles

this was my personal favorite...very blue

I have some more shots, just need to adjust the file sizes. So my question. I have seen these listed as Ps. caerulea, Ps. aeruginosa and Stropharia aeruginosa. Several references reffered to them as being active, others indicated nothing, some said poisonous, others said maybe. I believe Psychonaut said he tried them, and heard they were active. They certainly do blue...and are already blue, even darker with age/drying. I have found these several times this year, all growing in a different habitat. The first ones were found near the woods, growing in a grassy deer pasture, possibly on buried woody debri. The second ones were found growing in a cow pasture next to the woods, in the grass possibly on buried woody debri...and on wood. These ones well...I got pics. These were by far the bluest of them all, but I did find some to be pretty yellow as well. I need answers here folks...can't anything conclusive in any of the books or online...even mycologists seem to disagree here...with the name and with the activity. Maybe MJ can help me out. At any rate they are by far the most spectacular mushroom in terms of colour that I have ever found.

Cheers

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: SThomas]
    #472984 - 11/28/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

WOW!!! Those are some cool looking fungi SThomas!! Great work.

Good Hunting!!!

DH

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #473132 - 11/29/01 12:15 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Beautiful specimens! I've NEVER found those in the PNW. I think they must be Stropharia (Psilocybe?) subcaerula, as opposed to aeruginosa which I have found & are definitely GREEN as opposed to blue.

Activity? Who wants to be the guinea pig? Did Columbus worry about drowning? It should be noted that none of the Stropharicae (w/ possible exception of Hypholoma facsiculare) are known to be dangerously toxic, though some Stropharia species have been blamed for general gastro-intestinal misery. I personally would test those judiciously. The strong blue coloration may indicate not potency, but rather low levels of psilocin & high levels of the enzymes which oxidize it, as in strongly bluing Ps. pelliculosa collections. In other words, they might be "active" but extremely weak, & indigestible on top of it!

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: Woodsman]
    #473318 - 11/29/01 06:39 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the heads up Woodsman! Some I found were also very yellow...maybe due to sun exposure not sure. I am curious as to trying them out though. I am very certain that they are not deadly...as you mentioned. Would like Mjshroomers opinion here too.

Cheers

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #473605 - 11/29/01 01:19 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Absolutely amazing discovery SThomas.

...Absolutely gorgeous.

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #474503 - 11/30/01 06:51 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks GGreatone! We had a great season up here in the N. East...very long compared to normal, and it enabled me to find a lot more. I have some more pics coming of some Gyms etc.

Cheers

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #474569 - 11/30/01 09:22 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Reply, No they are most likely Stropharia caerulea or even aeruginosa. I have seen them both blue and green. The green color is a mixture of the bluing with the straw-yellow color of the caps of them. Only Stamets changed the name to Psilocybe inhis book Psilocine Mushrooms of the World, but he published no paper in any journal which would be a legal means of changing a name of a species from one to another so technically all of his Stropharias in his book which he renamed as Psilocybe in his book are still legally species of Stopharia.

The pictures are great and I would like to use one or two in my cd-rom. I will give you a free copy for permission to use a couple of them.

Mj

AS for being psychoactive, I doubt it. This bluing is similar to the oxidation in Boletus cyanescens and a few other poisonous species of boletes, satanicus, etc.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #474587 - 11/30/01 09:56 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

They are Psilocybe aeruginosa. Psilocybe caerulea fades quickly in the cap to a straw yellow color, and it lacks veil formed scales on the cap. Psilocybe caerulea also lacks the whitish patches on the stem that aeruginosa displays.Your mushrooms don't appear to be fading much at all, and there is definitely veil formed scales on the caps of your mushrooms, and whitish patches on the stems, which according to pauls book would make your mushrooms Psilocybe aeruginosa.

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (11/30/01 09:59 AM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #474684 - 11/30/01 11:11 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Are you far enough NorthEast to find semilanceata (liberty cap)?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #474957 - 11/30/01 02:59 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Great one234,

P semilanceata has been collected in New York and as far Northeast as one can go in North Sydney Forkes Nova Scotia and in New Brunswick as well as other parts of Nova Scotia.

Tha is actually the end of the N. American Continent. BEyond Sydney Forkes Nova Scotia is Prince Edward Island and then Newfoundland whih also has liberty caps but happens to both be islands off the North east coast of North America.

hae a shroomy day and they are Stropharia aeruginosa.

mj

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: Ps. caerulea/Ps. aeruginosa (pics) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #475322 - 11/30/01 08:35 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Those semis have also been found in Ontario and Quebec...as I live on the border of both I am sure I will find some next year. Friends of mine have found some a few years ago not to far from here. Thanks for the ID guys! That is what I thought as well, just wanted to narrow the disinformation down a bit. I also came across some european sites that list it as being active, they were in German and Czech though. I think I will try them anyways, just to be sure...cheers, and yes MJ you may use the photos, just PM me with the details...I would be honoured.

Cheers

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale