Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Work Sucks...
    #3869474 - 03/04/05 06:19 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

or does it? This being Friday and all I just got off of work for the weekend so this topic is relevant. Should your job be a source of pain? Should work always be an unpleasant reality with which we must deal? Is this the norm or the exception? Many of us spend over a third of our time at work so should we really subject ourselves to unpleasant conditions? Shouldn't an activity at which you spend so much time be a source of fullfillment?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3869487 - 03/04/05 06:22 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"..

Yes, I think it is the norm. It's hard to find what you're gifted at sometimes though so most of us just get stuck jumping through hoops and being a puppet for some fool. But enough about my boss.. ~rimshot!~

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3869521 - 03/04/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

The data processing work i do is mindnumbingly boring but the people I work with are friendly and to me that's 10x more important than what it is I'm doing. Plus the alternative is being unemployed and that's really boring too.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3870187 - 03/04/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Working just for money sucks. I'm a science teacher so I work for the kids, happily corrupting their minds. Very rewarding. I certainly don't do it for the money cos the pay sucks.

Having access to a lab full of chemicals and equipment is another plus (or perhaps the only reason I'm teaching).

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3870566 - 03/04/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I work for a public school system as well. I am a computer tech. I find the work rewarding...the pay is fair, but not excessive by any means. Summer off rules though.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineIrishNation
The Color Verde

#3870623 - 03/04/05 10:12 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I think the most important thing is to have a job you like..... you were right, why waste 1/3 of your life doing anything that sucks? Whether the pay is good or not...

I'd much rather be a forest ranger than a buisness executive any day :rudolph:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: IrishNation]
    #3871045 - 03/04/05 11:34 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I used to be caught in a job I hated. The work was tolerable, but the management had a dysfunctional viewpoint of employee relations. It paid quite well, but I really hated going to work. I thought I was supposed to hate working. I thought that this was the norm. After 15 years of it I decided to do what I liked instead. I went to college and studied computer programming. Quitting that job forced me to a bankruptcy, and led to many small sacrifices, but it paid off. I really enjoy messing with computers so my work, now, is like play. I realize now that I should have pursued my passion from the start. If you love something you will be talented at it...if you are talented there will be a demand for your ability. One's work should be a labor of love...the money will come so don't sweat it. Even if there are few jobs in the field you love...if you love it...you will find a niche. Your passion will guide you.

--------------------

OfflineDankBluntZ
We know little
Loc: florida
    #3871680 - 03/05/05 02:41 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

It has always been my philosophy to do something you enjoy even if the pay is meager compared to doing something that you hate with a great paycheck.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Work Sucks... [Re: DankBluntZ]
    #3872153 - 03/05/05 07:14 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Today it's the norm, but in the greater history of humanity it's the sad exception.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3872411 - 03/05/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I just wrote this, as I got back home. My feet are sore and for some reason I still give others my 110% (my employers). I have a good work ethic, and I understand in order for the human race to proceed work must gut done, it is a necessary event unless we all go back to natural simplicity.

Anyway...

Its unpleasant because for some reason we dwell in our old stupid routines that seem to work. They do, but at what price?

There is no reason to have to work 8 hours a day, 7 days week (get a day off after the 7th day), on hard concrete breathing in fiber glass, boric acid, lots of dust.

Its ineffecient stupid, but hey, whatever keeps the guys on top of the pyramid fat and in control.

I am sorry but work (and our whole basis of progress) is a prison as it stands.

6 hour work day standards would be a huge improvement.

I dont mind doing my job, I just wish it didnt consume so much of my energy and time.

Edited by psyka (03/05/05 10:05 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: psyka]
    #3872655 - 03/05/05 11:24 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

It is only the job you have chosen that makes it a prison. It may require a monetary sacrifice at first, but persuing a job you like is ultimately a necessary decision to obtain fulfillment while still operating inside the system. You can leave the system, but this is often quite impractical and curtails one's personal freedoms by it's very necessity. Personal freedom can be obtained within the system, but is sometimes requires extra effort to be taken.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair;
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, And I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost (1875-1963)"

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #3873383 - 03/05/05 03:14 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

In every action there is to be found a source of meaning and fulfillment.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: Ped]
    #3873455 - 03/05/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I know that sounds Buddhist and all....no offense intended, but in reality that is bullshit. There are experiences that are best avoided. Walking down a miserable path only teaches misery. Your statement is not practical to implement and therefore useless. There are many, many experiences which I do not wish to try and extract fulfillment from. Would being a thief or a serial killer...or being in prison fulfill me? I think not. A worthless path is just worthless. The only thing to be learned there is to not waste one's time with a meaningless path which is the point of my post. Wasting one's life in unfulfilling misery is useless. If you spend a third of your life doing something you hate then you wasted a third of your life.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (03/05/05 03:55 PM)

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3875643 - 03/06/05 01:15 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I was reading Storming Heaven today, and Jack Kerouac said that he didn't ever want to work another day in his life and only wanted to laze around, write and make art. He took the words right out of my mouth.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3877259 - 03/06/05 01:07 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

As Psyka said, capitolism is prison.

The whole system has been being renderred to serve only the rich at the top of this pyramid of capitolism. Everyone in this system is a slave to it.

Work in it's self is not a bad thing, but there are plenty of people who are being ripped off. As prices for living get higher, the value of your labor decreases because it buys less.

It is also obserd that in this modern time, that there are people starving at all, yet because of greed, no one will just give them the nurishment that they need.

--------------------
Agent 727

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3877772 - 03/06/05 02:46 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

That is what I do. I spend the day surfing the net, and writing programs to amuse myself. About three or four times a week I troubleshoot a problem. Problems are fairly rare in the school where I work because I set the systems up right to begin with. So, hey...I do maybe 4 hours work a week. The rest of the time I am paid to persue my own interests. My employer thinks that what I do is cool because my self interest feeds back into my job by increasing my technical ability. I just have to be there...it is like showing up for play time. What Jack Kerouac is saying there is that he makes money to play...he was a writer and that is what writers do...anybody can if you follow your interests and passions.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (03/06/05 03:23 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Work Sucks... [Re: MAGnum]
    #3877911 - 03/06/05 03:11 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I like a lot of your stuff...but you are wrong on this one. The only prison is within yourself. The only person who can truly make you a victim of the system is you. I can't reorder the system to make it work like I want...and I don't want to either because I ain't that smart. I can, however manipulate the existing system to obtain personal freedom. I could sever my ties with society and become a caveman...but hell, I need electricity for my computer and being totally self sufficient is a huge inconveniance. I say this as one who has the skills to do so. I am a technology nut...I have studied primitive technology as well as modern technology. My previous obsessions with wilderness survival, bowmaking, flintknapping, and trapping have taught me that playing the survival "game" for a day or two is a whole lot different from living it. So, I choose to integrate with society instead of rejecting it. The first big step of personal maturity is to acheive independance and the highest expression of that maturity is "interdependance". This is the cornerstone of a healthy society. Too many people think that by being merely dependant they will somehow achieve happiness, but they are wrong. Only independant people can function on an interdependant level. Interdependance insures that the people whom you depend on are intelligent, highly competant people...in return they get your cooperation (as a competant person) to help them acheive their dream. Dependant people only accept what is given to them and usually are left coming up short because they are not contributing their most valuable assets (their creativity) to society. I make a habit of becoming a strong asset to anyone with whom I have regular contact so that I, in return, gain the cooperation of others as strong assets to myself. Anyone who tries to oppress me along the way will be subverted by my creativity and adaptability. True freedom is only within yourself; if you think it is going to be handed to you on a platter you got another thing coming...and crying about it just makes things worse, not better. I chose to make money by doing what I truly love so I am a free man and happy. I don't mean to sound assholish about it, but this is a lesson the last 7 years of my life has taught me well...and I am ...well...an asshole.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale