Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSlackerKM
Unusual suspect

Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson
    #3846801 - 02/28/05 03:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm just posting it for discussion, don't bust my balls folks. Although I do think the author makes some valid points and offers an alternative to the general view around here that H.S.T. shouldn't be faulted for what he did.

---------

Want to Vomit?

REALLY Bad Craziness

Go to the Rocky Mountain News site and read Hunter Thompson's wife's glowing, approving account of the day he shot himself in the mouth.

I thought the guy was a fool, but I wasn't particularly happy when he killed himself. His trophy wife, on the other hand, is practically celebrating.

I am particularly touched by the description of the wife and son toasting the dead writer as his body sat slumped in a kitchen chair with its brain turned into a bloody sweetbread frappe. The poor son of a bitch. They should play "We're in the Money" at his funeral.

Mrs. Thompson, who is about 35 years younger than her late husband, and blonde, said some really amazing things.

About the impromptu gathering with the sagging corpse: "It was very loving. It was not a panic, or ugly, or freaky." No, of course not. What's freaky about having a drink with your dead husband as brains ooze down his back? I guess that if there's anything more ignominious than scrambling your own brain because you wasted your life and you can't write any more, it's having your dead body used by your own wife and son, as a grisly prop in a pretentious "counterculture" celebration. What's next? A long-pig barbecue?

Check this out:

"He did not destroy his face," Anita Thompson says. "He did it in his mouth. His face was beautiful. It was quick. It was not grisly or gruesome by any means. That's probably why he took that gun. He spared us a gruesome scene."
In other words, the back of his cranium was gone and his brain was sprayed all over the area behind him, but it was okay, because his eyes didn't pop and run down his face. Is this how you want your wife to react when you signal your utter hopelessness and desperation by murdering yourself in your kitchen? I'd want my wife to be heartsick at the realization that I had been that miserable. But then I'm a square. I don't "get it." I'm not one of the cool kids. And I'm not a young woman who just inherited a nice pile of cash on the same day she shed the old fart she had to live with in order to get it.

She also said, "This is a triumph of his, not a desperate, tragic failure."

Lady, trust me, "desperate, tragic failure" is EXACTLY what this was. People with satisfying lives don't shoot themselves in the mouth.

Why is it that when a foolish person with rabid fans dies in a foolish, disgraceful way, the fans try to turn it into some sort of triumph?

Fat women in stretch pants say, "God needed a new tenor in the heavenly choir, so he called Elvis home." Elvis was grotesquely obese and full of drugs when he rolled off the toilet and died naked on the bathroom floor without getting a chance to wipe himself. And his tongue was bitten nearly through. And he died from straining because he was constipated. I doubt God was involved in that.

I remember when John Belushi died. He was a young, extremely successful man--married--and he let a groupie whore shoot him full of heroin and cocaine in a sleazy rented bungalow. Dan Aykroyd?his best friend?turned the funeral into the Dan Aykroyd Show. He arrived in biker duds, which looked, on Dan Aykroyd, about the way they would look on a young Alan Greenspan. When Belushi's body arrived at the church, Aykroyd went in front of the cameras and walked over the fence instead of going through the gate, to show that bad boys like him and Belushi didn't follow the rules. YEAH! AWOOOOOOO! We don't need the MAN'S gate! ROCK ON IN HEAVEN, JOHN!

If he had been my friend, I would have gone on TV and said, "Wow, we were SO WRONG about recreational drugs. Kids, don't waste your life like this. And do your homework." But you know how us squares are.

Now Hunter Thompson is dead because Osterizing the contents of his head was easier to face than another day in his empty life. And the people who supposedly love him are spinning it as a victory.

He died in front of a typewriter with a blank piece of paper in it. Doesn't that tell you something? The man's output was complete garbage for over thirty years. Have you seen his last book, The Curse of Lono? It's the kind of book you get when a writer looks around and says, "Hmm, I wish I had saved more money for my retirement."

As a writer, the man had been completely impotent for decades, probably because of what he did to himself with drugs and alcohol. The props he used in the 24/7 act that made him famous probably destroyed his talent. Why isn?t anyone asking the obvious question? I?ll ask it. Isn?t it just possible that a 12-step program would have restored his faculties and enabled him to write again? If shooting himself was a triumph, wouldn?t rehab have been a triumph, too?

His wife says that on the day he died, he told her to come home so she could help him write a new column.

If I ever have to ask someone else to help me write a column...well, I won't kill myself, because it's wrong and because I have other things that make me happy. And I can always practice law. But if a day comes when I can't crank out a thousand quality words in two hours without someone holding my hand and giving me cues, I, too, will end my career. And I won't call it "a triumph."

The last thing I want when I write is another person in the room, getting in the way. But then my brain isn't completely pickled.

In the liberal world, up is down and left is right. Dope is good; the Bible is bad. VD sufferers are heroes; soldiers are baby-killers. And now suicide is a personal victory, to be celebrated with glasses of Chivas while blood is still clotting on the ceiling above you.

If winners kill themselves, I am content to be a failure.

--------
http://www.hogonice.com/archives/003438.html

--------------------

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
Re: Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson [Re: SlackerKM]
    #3846856 - 02/28/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This guy turned HST's suicide into a liberal vs conservative thing... he sounds like a fucking tool.

I'll finish reading it later and tear it apart :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #3846872 - 02/28/05 03:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I was hoping to read for myself some interesting facts about HST that most do not know.... instead I found a petty argument by a very jealous writer. It's less "critical commentary" than it is cheap shots from someone who wishes he could have been HST.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #3846914 - 02/28/05 03:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I don't really understand why the guy wrote this - just to trash on Thompson?

He comes off as a little brainwashed with the whole anti-drug / pro-life shpeel.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Re: Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson [Re: lukeboots]
    #3846927 - 02/28/05 03:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"He died in front of a typewriter with a blank piece of paper in it. Doesn't that tell you something? The man's output was complete garbage for over thirty years."

What a bold conclusion from so little information.

Offlinesunshine
Sin18DwireWuTang

Loc: higher plane of sex
Re: Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson [Re: Turd]
    #3846993 - 02/28/05 03:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I heard he always got payed cash.

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3847099 - 02/28/05 04:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'd want my wife to be heartsick at the realization that I had been that miserable.

Ego, much?

"When I die, I want everyone to know it and they better know WHY, damnit! I'M IMPORTANT! MY DEATH WOULD MEAN SOMETHING, NOT LIKE HST!" -- some douchebag writer

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3847165 - 02/28/05 04:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"As a writer, the man had been completely impotent for decades, probably because of what he did to himself with drugs and alcohol. The props he used in the 24/7 act that made him famous probably destroyed his talent. Why isn?t anyone asking the obvious question? I?ll ask it. Isn?t it just possible that a 12-step program would have restored his faculties and enabled him to write again? If shooting himself was a triumph, wouldn?t rehab have been a triumph, too?"

Hunters Writing was just as sharp towards the end as it ever was.

What an angry little man, to rip on a better writer after his death,
out of jealousy.
Too bad nobody will remember any of his work 10 minutes from now.

--------------------

Edited by Dreamer987 (02/28/05 04:36 PM)

OfflineGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: The Days Between
    #3847208 - 02/28/05 04:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is a very well thought out and written piece. Although it contradicts the spirit felt by those of us unable to effect a different (alternative) ending to a life with so much insight into the psychedelic generation, it is, as HST was himself thought to be, totally honest without regard to the mentality of any mass consumption. Many of us are probably under a cloak of silence provided by the fear of hypocrisy, since we all want to come to such conclusions on our own terms. No doubt several 12 step programs might have helped HST, had he wanted help. For whatever reason, like they say around "the rooms", there are only three results of untreated addiction, jail, institutions or death (actually only two, if you ask me). Addiction may have been a factor in his suicide but at this point, that isn't for me to say. That said, I do agree that many times, in cases such as those mentioned by SlackerKM (a prominent person in the media or culture) the position of the relatives and friends avoids what everyone else (in the personal lives of those mentioned, eg. Belushi) already knows.
The issue for me is one of sadness now, not the bitterness that is expressed in this post. I too used to be bitter about this exact kind of tragedy. We have much more knowledge about addiction than is circulated in our media but no one wants to have their good time ruined for the chance that they might be an addict, which is an immature reaction to the responsibility of knowledge. As a society we haven't learned not to internalize the information about the symptoms of addiction. On the other hand, those involved in the anti drug campaign (on almost every level of government) have embraced this information to secularize our society for the benefit of a small portion, in regards to money. People recovering from addiction are (many times) subjected to degrading stature in terms of how much money they can make and what level jobs they can obtain. In our society, one cannot ascend the economic ladder with honesty. Honesty costs in our culture (not just our country), it doesn't pay (SlackerKM may already know this, if law is the primary/alternate source of revenue).

--------------------
"New shit has come to light..."

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3847216 - 02/28/05 04:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well the comment has already been made, but these lines :

Quote:

He died in front of a typewriter with a blank piece of paper in it. Doesn't that tell you something? The man's output was complete garbage for over thirty years. Have you seen his last book, The Curse of Lono? It's the kind of book you get when a writer looks around and says, "Hmm, I wish I had saved more money for my retirement."

As a writer, the man had been completely impotent for decades, probably because of what he did to himself with drugs and alcohol. The props he used in the 24/7 act that made him famous probably destroyed his talent. Why isn?t anyone asking the obvious question? I?ll ask it. Isn?t it just possible that a 12-step program would have restored his faculties and enabled him to write again? If shooting himself was a triumph, wouldn?t rehab have been a triumph, too?

are just complete bullshit. Thompsons writing was as sharp in his latest book as ever. Anybody who says his output for the last 30 years was garbage is either a moron, illiterate, or a fan of Nixon (ie, a moron and illiterate). To say the man has been "impotent for decades" reflects a complete lack of knowledge of Thomspons work. And a 12-step program to "restore his faculties"? Yes, and I'm sure Van Gogh would have painted so much better if he was on psychiatric medication, too.

--------------------

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
Re: Critical commentary about Hunter S. Thompson [Re: Krishna]
    #3847228 - 02/28/05 04:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

BTW, I find it interesting how the people who know the least about HST seem to hate him the most.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub