Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4296785 - 06/14/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
I love the Tibetan Book of the Dead that him and Alpert wrote. I read it the day before any major trip, and that's as much thought as I give Leary.

Then I have fun.

Are you serious?

It was written in the 7th century by tantrika padmasambhava

and its a fucking evil book about how to reincarnate back into this fucked up world. it says stuff like when youd ie you meet your god and they turn into the devil and then you see your parents fucking, and if you realise all this is an illusion you get to be enlightened

Fuck the tibetan book of the dead.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: faslimy]
    #4296810 - 06/14/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

and its a fucking evil book about how to reincarnate back into this fucked up world.

Man, if you ever take a world religions course in school, you're going to shit yourself.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Phluck]
    #4305028 - 06/16/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"and its a fucking evil book about how to reincarnate back into this fucked up world. it says stuff like when youd ie you meet your god and they turn into the devil and then you see your parents fucking, and if you realise all this is an illusion you get to be enlightened"

What you think that the spiritual path is all happy and good? There are many dark places along the way that we all must go through before we reach our destination.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: dr0mni]
    #4305114 - 06/16/05 07:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here are my thoughts on Leary....

I find a lot of his philosophy on the nature of reality, and the introspection to be very inspiring as well freeing. His ideas helped shape my outlook on life in minor ways. But...

it was as if he came across personal revalations and wanted to bring everyone to that same place. Perhaps he was naive to the limits of what drugs can do for the common man, as well as naive to negative effects of drugs. Perhaps this was largely because he was targeted by the government, who created propaganda against LSD which Leary & others knew to be not true. I think the amount of persecution that took place took it's toll on Leary and made him think of himself as a martyr figure. Either way, he attempted to get people to think for themselves and question authority, but sometimes imposed his own type of authority.

But in all honesty, it's really difficult for me to judge simply because I'm looking back at the history and didn't really live it. I think the psychedelic "revolution" made an impact on America in many positive ways, but it also had it's mistakes and failures.

Again, it's hard for me to say just exactly how much the psychedelics inspired America towards the civil rights movement, tolerance, and so forth. I'd really like to have a deeper understanding of it, but it seems as if no matter who you listen to, you're only listening to the idealistic hype, burned out cynisism, or misunderstanding.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Twirling] * 1
    #4305158 - 06/16/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

just for the record... Thompson > EVERYONE

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Twirling]
    #4305168 - 06/16/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

After doing a bit of reading just now on the Wiki Leary article, it's apparent to me that much of his early academic work seemingly had major potential in which he tried to assist people in making changes in their lives. His philosophic endevors were interesting to think about, but when taken as seriously and scientifically as his academic research, it starts to cause a conflict of interest. IMO, it seems as if combining the two was where the problems started.

(and I admit that I don't know how well done his research is, but theoretically I agree with the potential for psychotheruputic benefits of LSD & mushrooms)

OfflineTheDudeAbides
Livin Off FrostyBarley Pops andPork Soda
 User Gallery

Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Noviseer]
    #4305224 - 06/16/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
just for the record... Thompson > EVERYONE

--------------------
outputrotation said:
x-com and unsolved mysteries are the only things that have ever made me truly scared

Offlinedirtsquirt
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: TheDudeAbides]
    #4305552 - 06/16/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:poke:

--------------------

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... *DELETED* [Re: dirtsquirt]
    #4307605 - 06/17/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinewharfrat12
Stronger thanDirt

Loc: Sinking beneath the water...
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4307737 - 06/17/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
thompson > leary

--------------------

"Tell me the cost, I can pay let me go, tell me love is not lost.
Sell everything, without love day to day insanity's king."

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4307756 - 06/17/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Letto said:
"My own acid-eating experience is limited in terms of total consumption [in 1966], but widely varied as to company and circumstances... and if I had a choice of repeating any one of the half dozen bouts I recall, I would choose one of those Hell's Angels parties in La Honda, complete with all the mad lighting, cops on the road, a Ron Boise sculpture looming out in the woods, and all the big speakers vibrating with Bob Dylan's 'Mr. Tambourine Man.' It was a very electric atmosphere. If the Angels lent a feeling of menace, they also made it more interesting... and far more alive than anything likely to come out of a controlled experiment or a politely brittle gathering of well-educated truth-seekers looking for wisdom in a capsule. Dropping acid with the Angels was an adventure; they were too ignorant to know what to expect, and too wild to care. They just swallowed the stuff and hung on... which is probably just as dangerous as the experts say, but a far, far nuttier trip than sitting in some sterile chamber white a condescending guide and a handful of nervous, would-be hipsters."

:thumbup:

Despite all of Leary's ramblings and pseudoscientific theories, Thompson was far more enlightened in his own self-destructive search for action and embracing of the reality of the world. If a figure like Thompson had led the 1960s psychedelic movement, many people would be much less bitter about the bullshit they were fed, and we may have been far more successful (though it was still successful to a certain extent under self-proclaimed gurus like Leary).

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: wharfrat12]
    #4307764 - 06/17/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

wharfrat12 said:
Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
thompson > leary

To the extreme. Now.. if you were going to say thompson > mckenna

I'd have no fucking clue on which character I like more. I've never actually read thompsons work, I've just thumbed through his stuff. But Mckenna is my favorite!

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4307772 - 06/17/05 02:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

McKenna was one of the most creative individuals I've ever heard. I have no clue if he's right on anything like his Stoned Ape and 2012 theories or is just making it all up, but either way at least he's interesting.

Not to mention, he helped the spread of ayahuasca and rare Amazonian psychedelics to normal people. He's a good guy in the end, even if he did put too much faith into the DMT visuals.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Ravus]
    #4307778 - 06/17/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Towards the end of his life he was all about the aya.

--------------------

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
    #4307829 - 06/17/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

chocolate > strawberry

but put them together and you have a killer combination! :thumbup:

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hunter Thompson, avowed enemy of Timothy Leary... [Re: Arp]
    #4307906 - 06/17/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

are you talking about some kind of mckenna/thompson hybrid creature? it might just be crazy enough to work.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder