Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
"Timothy Leary's Dead"
    #1585623 - 05/28/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This thread is dedicated to my pal AislingGheal. We've traded with each other twice now(actually he's sent three packages). Generous is not the word. He goes way above and beyond. This past time he told me that he'd send me a copy of two DVD's("The Men Who Killed Kennedy" and "Timothy Leary's Dead"). Well I got my package and he sent me the ORIGINAL copies of those DVD's! I don't know how to thank him enough.

Anyway my friend and I watched "Timothy Leary's Dead" which is a documentary about Leary. This is probably the best documentary i've seen about Leary as far as the quality and quantity of the clips and information about him. It shows all kinds of footage of Leary and his pals from different time periods.

The makers of this documentary worked with Leary up until the time of his death(literally). Unlike other documentaries about Leary they talk briefly about Leary's short incarceration in a cell right next to Charles Manson. Leary said Manson tried to give him advice and tell him what he was doing wrong(lol). Unlike other documentaries, Leary's dramatic escape from prison was not just a footnote. It was actually discussed for a few minutes, and Leary described how it was done and what he did once he was out. They showed footage of the police taking him back into custody, and he had this huge smile on his face. He was so accepting of everything that happened to him.

As far as the information and the footage, this documentary is good up until a certain point. The end of this documentary is something I can not see myself ever watching again. Just thinking about it makes me sick.

To make a long story short, the end of the video is of Timothy Leary dying in bed and then two doctor type guys SAWING HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF and putting it in a big container with ice while they play some woman's cover of The Moody Blues song "Legend Of A Mind".

I had heard about this, but I had only heard that they show a picture of his head. No, no, no. They show the guys slicing his throat and sawing off his head and lifting it into the ice box while they play that song in the background. I didn't see the whole thing because my friend and I had our hands blocking out the screen while we grimiced and said things like "EWWWW!!" and "OH FUCK" and "OH SHIT!".

I don't know what to think about this. I wonder what his family thinks about it. I don't know if it's very appropriate. I didn't enjoy seeing a man who I idolize and who's face i've seen thousands of times have his head cut off. The rest of it is pretty good though.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: Learyfan]
    #1586049 - 05/28/03 08:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

leary.com

quote:
Did Leary get his head cut off like I saw in that movie?
No. Absolutely not. That was a simulation created by profiteering filmmakers. At one point in his life, Leary was planning to have himself cryonically preserved, which would have resulted in a variety of gruesome procedures, but it did not happen. The filmmakers capitalised on this and secretly recreated the sequence without permission from Leary or his family, who were shocked and dismayed to see it on screen in graphic detail. After the movie's release, the filmmakers displayed poor taste and fueled rumours by not admitting it's falsehood, apparently to generate hype and sell tickets.

Just so you know, it didnt happen that way.. I wish I could see that movie :frown:

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

Anonymous

#1586076 - 05/28/03 08:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had lunch with Dr. Leary in the mid eighties when he and G. Gorden Liddy were touring the country doing their "State's Rights vs The Rights of the Individual" routine. They came to the college I was attending and the students and faculty there treated Liddy like a hero and Leary like a crook. I was so ashamed of them. I tried to make conversation with Dr. Leary during lunch but the folks around us were being so creepy I decided just to sit back and watch him handle the situation, which he did with real grace. He sure didn't loose his head then, as he might well have.  :blush: 

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1586184 - 05/28/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Holy shit. That's so fucked up.

Why would they do such a thing?

It looked REAL. It must have been expensive.

--------------------

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1586896 - 05/29/03 12:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the shout out Learyfan, all of the cds you've sent me have been stellar and I'm grateful to you beyond words amigo, truly.

I couldn't watch the decapitation part, even knowing now that it is fake makes no difference. What the hell is wrong with the film makers to stage that anyway? The material is excellent aside from the end, Tim Leary was a fascinating man to say the least, they didn't need to go to those lengths to sell this documentary.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1586945 - 05/29/03 01:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think the makers of that film must have spent their entire budget on that death shot. I'm not going to watch it again, but it looked really really authentic. The fact that they would do that boggles my mind.

Remember the part where they're making a plaster cast of Learys head? I think that's how they got it so accurate. But it makes me think, "what did Leary think they were going to do with that cast?"

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: ]
    #1587711 - 05/29/03 05:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You didn't happen to attend a school of professional wrestling did you?  :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinepseudopod
scattered,smothered,covered...

#1588208 - 05/29/03 10:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The official report from CryoCare is here:
www.cryocare.org

It is very well written and gives a lot of insight into the whole situation without all the spin that most of the other info on it (along with just about everything else Leary) I've found has.

Anonymous

Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1589442 - 05/29/03 06:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if i wanted to be fair i guess i could add that the leary/liddy debate was hosted by the political science/history departments of the university. lots of political types at this lunch; read: peeps drawn to the proximity to power.

leary's reception might have been a little different had it been hosted by the art or music or literature or psychology or philosophy or even the math departments.  :grin:

what was i doing there? roomate was president of the student council. :cool: 

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1733009 - 07/20/03 08:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have my doubts as to weither the decapitation scene was fake after all.

Look at this picture. This picture was taken just seconds before his head was sawed off.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1733327 - 07/20/03 11:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

that guy looks dead

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1734633 - 07/21/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Learyfan: you should check out the new documentary on the Weather Underground - "The Weather Underground." Supposedly they really get into how they busted Leary out of prison.

Here's a review

We are outlaws, free and high - a youth guerilla underground in the heart of honky america.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: "Timothy Leary's Dead" [Re: iglou]
    #1734933 - 07/21/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, thanks a lot.

Where can this be purchased? Is it out on DVD yet?

--------------------

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1735539 - 07/21/03 05:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Nope, not yet. It is a brand new independent film that was 1st shown in June 2003. The film is on tour of film houses; here is a schedule. If its showing near you, go check it out man!

peace.

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1735540 - 07/21/03 05:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Nope, not yet. It is a brand new independent film that was 1st shown in June 2003. The film is on tour of film houses; here is a schedule. If its showing near you, go check it out man!

peace.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub