Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: agar]
    #3746316 -

thanks recondite, and very nice website btw anno, it gets to the point

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3746525 -

kronnyQ said:
So by just soaking my rye, is this going to give me any problems with my casing, or will casing layers provide enuff moisture?



You will find out. That is why I said let us know. Personally, I feel yeilds will suffer..

This method is still different then Annos method. Anno adds the correct amount of water which is soaked into the grains during the PC. These would probably fruit just fine. However just soaking rye, and then straining it..I feel the rye will be perfect for spawn, but I doubt you'll pull the full potential out of it.

Mixing it with verm when you case could help. Grains dont hydrate to well from soaking them, but if you mix the substrate with verm it helps retain water and lets you soak the casings for more water in later flushes. IME

Thank you for that link by the way, I never knew there was more to the site then the PF Tek for simple minds. I think I'll be trying out some of the just adding the water and PCing.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3746665 -

>>>>>>Grains dont hydrate to well from soaking them<<<<<<

Scat, I beg to differ.

I don't do rye substrate, so that is no issue for me.

However, over the years I have simply soaked (over a ton) of WBS & various other grains (millet, milo etc) & it ALWAYS worked perfectly - as spawn into bulk compost, H/poo et al.

Soak (longer the better, so long as it doesnt sprout) gives endospores time to hydrate & germinate. Which gives PC'ing a far better chance to kill those nasties. That is FACT.

I would surmise, if one were to use rye as a substrate, soak, then brief simmer would maximize water content. At the same time, good possiblity of getting to much moisture content, causing rye to clump (unshakable, or difficult)& increases odds of wet spot bacterial contam getting loose in bag or jar.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: agar]
    #3748044 -

>>Grains dont hydrate to well from soaking them

I was speaking of mixing it with verm when casing, this sentence should actually say "colonized grains dont REhydrate to well from soaking them in my experience". He's already knocked them up...I was just mentioning that for fruiting..I feel they'll be a little dry, and fruits may suffer, especially on 2nd flushes and later. You dont really have the option of dunking to hydrate the grains again since it doesnt work so well unless theres verm mixed in..


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3751960 -

I just soaked some more for my next batch, this time a full 24 hours and the berries looked almost as water absorbed as simmered, even after PCing.

Here's an idea: shouldn't I just go ahead and dunk my bags and jars (fill with water for 12 hours) after they are fully colonized?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3752018 -

Dunking doesn't really help grains. They don't absorb as readily as verm does.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3753637 -

kronnyQ said:
Here's an idea: shouldn't I just go ahead and dunk my bags and jars (fill with water for 12 hours) after they are fully colonized?



This is the gist of what I was talking about above to agar. I was saying that grains from a soak (dunk) after they are colonized, dont hydrate very well. Dunking doesnt really do much UNLESS you mix it with verm. Use the same amount of substrate per casing container you were going to (same amount of nutes), but mix in the same amount of verm as substrate (you end up with what you would have but a substrate layer twice as thick and able to be dunked and hydrated). You could mix up the substrate and dont apply the casing layer and incuabte for a day or two to let the verm colonize and take shape, and then dunk...but I've never tried this and it might not stay together. Id just wait till the second flush and dunk (if you added verm, which I would)

Maybe keep one casing or half or whatever you feel you want to and just do them as is to see how it compares.

When you soak the rye, I think a good way to tell is if it grows to 3 times the size. When rye is full of water to optimal water content, it should be about 3 times the size it was when dry. You could also measure out 100 grams of rye and soak it seperatly and then weigh it when drained but after the soak. You should end up with about 200 grams from that rye if fully hydrated.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3753663 -

scatmanrav said:
kronnyQ said:
Here's an idea: shouldn't I just go ahead and dunk my bags and jars (fill with water for 12 hours) after they are fully colonized?



This is the gist of what I was talking about above to agar. I was saying that grains from a soak (dunk) after they are colonized, dont hydrate very well. Dunking doesnt really do much UNLESS you mix it with verm. Use the same amount of substrate per casing container you were going to (same amount of nutes), but mix in the same amount of verm as substrate (you end up with what you would have but a substrate layer twice as thick and able to be dunked and hydrated). You could mix up the substrate and dont apply the casing layer and incuabte for a day or two to let the verm colonize and take shape, and then dunk...but I've never tried this and it might not stay together. Id just wait till the second flush and dunk (if you added verm, which I would)

Maybe keep one casing or half or whatever you feel you want to and just do them as is to see how it compares.

When you soak the rye, I think a good way to tell is if it grows to 3 times the size. When rye is full of water to optimal water content, it should be about 3 times the size it was when dry. You could also measure out 100 grams of rye and soak it seperatly and then weigh it when drained but after the soak. You should end up with about 200 grams from that rye if fully hydrated.



Why is this reply addressed to me?

Don't answer, just take note.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3754074 -

You asked a question and then tell me not to answer? What am I taking note of? LOL I dont get it.

No it wasnt replied at you, thats why I quoted the other guy..I just dont use the reply function well...I just leave it on the default "Reply to last post".

You said the same thing I did, I was just telling him that I already told hi not to just dunk them a few posts up before he asked, thats all the hub bub I was talking about, he may have missed it and the reason in all my rambling. If he did (which I figured) then he probably missed the part about mixing it with verm before casing. You mentioned it, but didnt specifically say mix it with verm if you want to rehydrate it so I just said more on what I said higher...your post was kind of ignored by me, since its just a conformation of what I had said already. Its usfull to the poster to know I'm not full of shit, but I had no reason to address it.

What do I take notes on though? I already took enough notes today in classes. :frown:


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3754096 -

Just a pet peeve of mine when people misuse Quick Reply.

Carry on.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3754258 -

You and MF always getting on my case about it. Pfft... Other forums do fine figuring out who the reply was to. Hell thats half the fun.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3755209 -

You have a strange idea of what "fun" is.

When I get an e-mail notifcation of a reply to my post, it sux when it's to someone else, who won't be notified.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3755243 -

you could always turn off email notification

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3755275 -

Your title is so accurate!

You could always drop dead and make the shroomery a better place.

I think maybe it would be best if all of your posts said:

"You are ignoring this user."

Well, I'm off to visit your profile page.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3755486 -

TripMeister said:
You have a strange idea of what "fun" is.

When I get an e-mail notifcation of a reply to my post, it sux when it's to someone else, who won't be notified.



Man are you uptight. Go poke some smot man.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3756962 -

Sheezz.

Anyway, I agree that just soaking the grain without simmering may not unlock the full ptotential of the grains. I have done it both ways, soaking only, and soaking and simmering and IMO, simmering is the way to go.

When soaking and then pcing without simmering, the grain is still hard on the inside. About 1/4 to 1/3 of the grain remains "uncooked" or hard/firm even after pcing. Probably because there was not enough water absorbed to cook the innermost portion of that grain. It seems that this hard/firm inside of the grain would not be able to be broken down and used as food as easily by the mycelium as grain that is soft all the way through. For example, if you take your non-simmered grain casing after it has been exhausted and squeeze the individual kernels of grain you will see the kernels are still hard in the center and that the substrate doesn't shrink as much as simmered grain casing when exhausted. However, if you squeeze the individual kernels of a simmered casing after it's been exhauted, you will see that the consistency is even throughout (very mushy, no hard spots) and that the substrtate has shrunk much more than the non simmered casing substrate. Simmering the grain until the entire kernel is puffed with water "unlocks" the nutrients throughout the entire kernel and not just the outermost portion. IMO, soaking only wastes the center of the kernel by not 'cooking' it thoroughly and leaves the inner portion of the kernel unused.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3756978 -

Hhaha lol, no NOT always! :P

Sometimes its evident but sometimes I think hey why replying to me?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: TM]
    #3756989 -

I can understand Tripmeister, but dont take it too hard mister meister! :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* PERSONAL EXPERIENCE W/RYE SUBSTRATE
( 1 2 all )
bmw037 10,046 34 01/16/02 10:53 AM
by Siphersh
* Vermicultite and Rye substrate?! lemunhed 835 2 06/06/03 12:57 PM
by BladeLSD
* Rye Substrate? Buddha 812 3 11/13/01 06:40 PM
by MattyB
* Rye substrate Dane 609 1 01/09/02 05:23 AM
by WOmbdAbblER
* What are rye berries??? tullycraft 2,729 14 02/15/02 01:37 AM
by Anonymous
* rye grass = rye berries DubiousDuo 794 1 05/21/02 10:37 AM
by Anno
* where can i buy some rye berries? DubiousDuo 1,333 8 05/16/02 07:39 AM
by DubiousDuo
* Lightly simmering you GRAIN instead of soaking overnight.... YellowSubmarine 2,396 19 09/19/03 07:28 AM
by tak

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
5,641 topic views. 21 members, 41 guests and 210 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.