Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Wow, i'm never simmering rye again!
    #3742019 -

Ever since I've been using rye as substrate I have simmered it, and every jar or bag since then has either contaminated from wet spot or never finished colonizing, all from too much water!

Tried simmering from less time, still didn't help. Even drained longer, no help.

Soaked bunch of berries for 20 hours in warm water, drained, PC'd 5 pint jars and one bag for 90 minutes. Cooled then innoc'd with my own EQ spore syringe.

5 days later growth is booming, bag about 30% colonized and jars about 20%.

I'm glad i never have to simmer rye again.  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3742033 -

I don't simmer - either. More trouble than its worth, IMHO.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: agar]
    #3742308 -

i never simmer either, or use tyvek or anything else but tin foil over the top. its easier to throw away 1 or 2 contamed jars then waste all that time


--------------------
"Because you need me Springfield. Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a King!" Sideshow Bob

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Duffmanooohyea]
    #3742317 -

I just use tyvek for the top and thats it...gives some nice air exchange
and easy to inoculate.

However now that I have in impulse sealer I will probably never use jars or tyvek again :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3742384 -

You don't even need to soak it either. Just add the correct water ratio to the jar and PC.

Can't get any simpler than that!


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3742443 -

If your fruiting directly from the substrate, let us know how well it does.

I simmer my rye, 60 jar batches at a time all the time. I do alot of G2G open air even and about 0-3 jars every 60 get contaminated. The problem lies somewhere else. If your using if for spawn I'm sure it will work out but I dont know about fruiting..


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: agar]
    #3742476 -

agar said:
I don't simmer - either. More trouble than its worth, IMHO.



the only grain I simmer is corn... it's extremely dense so I simmer it for 2 hours
and let it soak overnight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3742477 -

scatmanrav said:
If your fruiting directly from the substrate, let us know how well it does.



I've been using this technique for years for fruiting and spawning.

Anno tells me he does it exactly the same way.


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3743835 -

I dont supposed you have some pictures? From anyone really..I just havnt seen any rye just soaked that fruited that well. I'd love for someone to show me some though :smile:


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3743863 -

my friend,Anno always prepares his grains like this.
He just adds the correct amount of grain and water in a jar and PC.
no soaking,simmering or anything else.

And i don't think you are not happy with Anno's results?!!? :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3743984 -

I have never seen any pictures of Annos straight rye casings...

See I had asked about this before...if I had to simmer, and even soak my rye. I got a whole lot of yes responses. The only people who did respond saying they soaked but didnt simmer said they only use it for spawn. No one had any good results to tell me about or show me from straight rye with just a soak and no simmer.

Anno has had lots of time to perfect it though. It wouldnt surprise me at all if he has good results. I wish he would have seen that post way back when.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3744044 -

I neither soak nor simmer the rye. I measure the amounts out, add them to jar and pressure cook.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3744057 -

well since i started doing bulk i always talk about spawning and never about fruiting of straight grains.
sorry i misunderstood!

Scatmanrav, why don't you go bulk? just curious

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Anno]
    #3744058 -

What amounts do you do? You fruit directly off rye with good results compared to simmering?

Bulk requires more materials..more noticable in my apartment. Poo's been hard to find. I've been working on some things...I enjoy rye though, comes out quite well. If I can shorten the process and get fruits that are still up to normal par..I'm down. Tiding me over until I can do other processes...


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (02/07/05 02:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3744074 -

let me add that Anno's teks are here:
http://www.fungifun.org/pf/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3745143 -

what is the correct water:grain amount? specificly for wbs, if anyone has it... i'd like to be able to stop soaking and go straight into pressure cooking wbs, tia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: SoK]
    #3745220 -

check out the link above your post SoK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: metasin]
    #3745940 -

So by just soaking my rye, is this going to give me any problems with my casing, or will casing layers provide enuff moisture?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3746057 -

Is PCing absolutly necessary when working with rye? I never PCed for brf and rarely got contams.


--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wow, i'm never simmering rye again! [Re: Darkie]
    #3746115 -

Quote:
Darkie said: Is PCing absolutly necessary when working with rye? I never PCed for brf and rarely got contams.



Only other possible method with grains is fractal sterilization. Which is iffy, at best. In other words, beg, borrow or buy PC, if you want to do grains.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* PERSONAL EXPERIENCE W/RYE SUBSTRATE
( 1 2 all )
bmw037 10,046 34 01/16/02 10:53 AM
by Siphersh
* Vermicultite and Rye substrate?! lemunhed 835 2 06/06/03 12:57 PM
by BladeLSD
* Rye Substrate? Buddha 812 3 11/13/01 06:40 PM
by MattyB
* Rye substrate Dane 609 1 01/09/02 05:23 AM
by WOmbdAbblER
* What are rye berries??? tullycraft 2,729 14 02/15/02 01:37 AM
by Anonymous
* rye grass = rye berries DubiousDuo 794 1 05/21/02 10:37 AM
by Anno
* where can i buy some rye berries? DubiousDuo 1,333 8 05/16/02 07:39 AM
by DubiousDuo
* Lightly simmering you GRAIN instead of soaking overnight.... YellowSubmarine 2,396 19 09/19/03 07:28 AM
by tak

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
5,641 topic views. 22 members, 89 guests and 166 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.