Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Whats natural?
    #3697970 - 01/29/05 01:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Common arguments against technological advancement are always met with the labelling something as unnatural, and therefore it is assumed to be bad.

Anything that is of physical nature and can be proven by observable methods(scientific method), is in fact, part of reality and therefore part of the natural world.

Since reality is the only thing that can be observed and studied, anything that can't should be considered outside of reality and therefore unnatural.

Example:

Praying to God for a healthy baby is unnatural, as there is no evidence it does anything at all.

Genetically altering genes of an embryo that has been tested to be lacking a certain allele that causes physical deformaties in order for the child to be born normal is natural.

Without the argument for something being unnatural having any substance. Why are people opposed to human advancement? They seem to draw the line somewhere between their cozy reality and direct benefit to themselves.

"Of course I would be in favor of eliminating alzheimers disease! My grandmother has suffered for years!"

then again....

"I am against genetic engineering of humans that could potentially give them more powerful brains, heightened senses, and enhanced physical ability"

why?

"it just doesn't feel good, and doesn't directly effect me"

It is time we shed our insecurities and embrace technology in the fullest. We should have goals of increasing human brain power. We should have goals of creating human beings that have physical power that dwarfs those of today.

I am reminded of a news story on genetic engineering. They interviewed an old wrinkled scientists who was a leading researcher. They anchorwomen, fired off the "unnatural" line... she said, "Don't you think it is unnatural that we can manipulate genes to create human beings that would all look like supermodels?"

The scientists broke out a slight smirk, his eyes brightened, and he said, "well I think that sounds marvelous". The anchorwomen was stunned... good for him.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Whats natural? [Re: looner2]
    #3697983 - 01/29/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's funny how the same people who deride technology as unnatural and evil are the same people who will tell you that we should be embracing eastern thought and incorporating it into our lifestyles. Yet in Japan, technology is revered, people enjoy robots, and love the idea of a robot dog, or a friendly robot helper. Here, our science fiction is filled with stories of evil robots turning on us and taking over the world.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisiblePaou
Seeker

Loc: Transcendence
    #3697990 - 01/29/05 01:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3698056 - 01/29/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What I did with those twins last night was clearly unnatural.  :heart:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Whats natural? [Re: Swami]
    #3698066 - 01/29/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

they wasnt the red headed twins that walk the streets here in my town were they.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Whats natural? [Re: Cosm]
    #3698080 - 01/29/05 01:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If they were, then you know exactly what I am talking about.

My apologies to Looner for this Amtrak derailment. Please return to the topic at hand.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3698611 - 01/29/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Look at what passes for natural on Titan. Methane and ethane lay around in liquid form, while the atmosphere is full of other toxic waste like benzene. It sounds like an environmental disaster to me.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Whats natural? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3698637 - 01/29/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

We should run a pipeline from Titan. Think of the potential profits.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3698676 - 01/29/05 04:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If a cost effective method of transport could be devised we could gather natural resources from Titan and other places and leave Earth untouched. What about the feasibility of a massive supertanker that uses methane to get a push before an ion engine cuts in? Trips to Titan could be trimmed down to possibly a year and a half or so. Maybe build a base on Mars for a half point R&R stop over. An orbital elevator could probably support an orbital pipeline to Earth for the unload. As long as the fuel for this could be gathered cheaply it would be a solution.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Whats natural? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3698684 - 01/29/05 04:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

America could have done a lot of astounding forward-looking things; instead we squandered our gross national output many times over on nothing constructive at all. Makes me rethink "evolution" in the sense of maturing and growing.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3698826 - 01/29/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sadly, I think you are right, but try to maintain a good attitude and don't let it bother you too much.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology