Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Scientists find way to induce OOBE
    #1952987 - 09/26/03 01:38 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/outofbody020919.html

Mind Over Body
Neurologist Finds Way to Trigger
Out-of-Body Experiences

By Amanda Onion

Sept. 19 ? At one point she felt she was "sinking into the bed." Later she said, "I see myself lying in bed, from above ?"

Reports of out-of-body sensations have been common throughout history. The Greek philosopher Plato was among the first to suggest that when the body dies and disintegrates, the soul migrates outside the body and continues to live. Characters in countless paranormal dramas have been resuscitated back to life and then speak about how they rose above their own bodies and watched others working feverishly to save them.
But rarely has the sensation been captured in the controlled setting of a laboratory ? until now.

In a new study released today in the journal Nature, Swiss scientists describe how they were able to trigger bizarre, out-of-body experiences in a 43-year-old female epileptic patient while analyzing her brain with electrodes.

Accidental Discovery

Olaf Blanke, a neurosurgeon at University Hospitals of Geneva and Lausanne, wasn't trying to set off the sensations in his patient but was using electrical stimulation to map the activity of her brain in preparation for surgical treatment. But by recording the patient's reactions and matching them with specific electrodes, Blanke was able to pinpoint the region where out-of-body experiences seem to originate.

"We wanted [and needed] to be sure that what the patient experienced and told us was related to the actual stimulation," says Blanke.

When Blanke and colleagues activated electrodes placed just above the patient's right ear ? a region known as the right angular gyrus ? the woman began to have the strange sensations. Depending on the amplitude of the stimulation and the current position of the patient's body, her experience varied. Each of the patient's four episodes lasted about two seconds.

After one stimulation, the patient said she felt as though she were sinking into her bed and then she felt as though she were "falling from a height." After another stimulation she said felt like she was "floating" about 6? feet above her bed, close to the ceiling. When she was asked to watch her legs during the stimulation, the patient said she saw her legs "becoming shorter."

Scientists have long tried to explain how people might have such sensations. Last December a British journal described a Dutch study that estimated 12 percent of cardiac patients resuscitated from clinical death experience out-of-body sensations such as seeing a bright light or their own dead bodies. In 1995, Michael Persinger, a psychologist at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, found he was able to trigger out-of-body and other paranormal experiences in people by exposing the right sides of their brains to a series of electromagnetic pulses.

Severe migraines, small strokes and epilepsy have also been known to trigger the condition and previous work has located the cause to the brain's right lobe.

Right Brain Condition

Blanke says his study shows the right angular gyrus has a specific role in triggering the feeling. This region is the part of the brain that scientists believe integrates visual information, including how the body is seen, and touch and balance sensations that all work together to create the mind's representation of the body.

He says out-of-body experiences "may reflect a failure by the angular gyrus" to integrate these different channels of information. Physical stress, or a lack of oxygen to the brain, he says, might trigger the kind of brain misfiring he induced in his patient.

Vilayanur Ramachandran, a professor of neurosciences and psychology at the University of California in San Diego, says Blanke's study makes sense since damage to the same region of the brain has been known to cause a confused physical sense of the body. But, he adds, it's rare to be able to induce the sensation.

"This is exciting because it shows this technology can be used to produce reversible lesions," he says. "This can be a powerful tool to study the condition."

But Robert Peterson, a person who regularly experiences out-of-body experiences and who has written about them in two books, argues no study can prove the sensations are just the result of a quirk in the brain.

"People who have these experiences are nearly always extremely firm in their convictions," he says. "No amount of evidence can convince the subjects that it wasn't 'real.'"

Persinger of Laurentian University argues it only illuminates how much is left to learn about the human brain.

"This is more evidence," he says, "that that great raveled knot ? our brain ? still has a lot of mysteries to unfold."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: spud]
    #1953000 - 09/26/03 01:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Now, how is this LESS magical than a paranormal explanation?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: Sclorch]
    #1953019 - 09/26/03 01:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

educate yourself
Main Entry: para?nor?mal
Pronunciation: "par-&-'nor-m&l, 'par-&-"
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1920
: not scientifically explainable : SUPERNATURAL
- paranormal noun
- para?nor?mal?i?ty /"par-&-"nor-'ma-l&-tE/ noun
- para?nor?mal?ly /-'nor-m&-lE/ adverb
this is explainable, therefore it is not paranormal.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1953041 - 09/26/03 01:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Um... I think you missed my point.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineHowardo
Male User Gallery

Loc: No left turn unstoned
    #1953118 - 09/26/03 02:26 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

that's pretty cool. i'd like to try it.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#1953122 - 09/26/03 02:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

care to share your point?

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1953791 - 09/26/03 10:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

doesn't sound too convincing, I mean they only tried this on that one patient right?

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: chodamunky]
    #1954131 - 09/26/03 01:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yea but it makes sense, if you read about syntheshia (sp?) or patterns while on psychedelics you find out both are controlled by a specific part of the brain, patterns happen to be the part of the brain that does countours and edges for us.

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #1954392 - 09/26/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If a dream that seems 2 hours long only occurs in the brain for actually 2 secounds, than the idea that of a brain confusing your body's position in space doesent seem that far fetched. The brain is a powerful, powerful biological computer. It translates reality into perception and like any computer it can be hacked and tweeked. I actually read about this a long time ago but this is the first time they are able to pin point the time of the experience to the secound, so even though its only been done in one person it is very intresting indeed. Just think about the future of human kind once we are able to harnest the power of our brains. Prepare for evolution guys!!!!

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: Spokesman]
    #1954441 - 09/26/03 03:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Spokesman said:
If a dream that seems 2 hours long only occurs in the brain for actually 2 secounds, than the idea that of a brain confusing your body's position in space doesent seem that far fetched. The brain is a powerful, powerful biological computer. It translates reality into perception and like any computer it can be hacked and tweeked. I actually read about this a long time ago but this is the first time they are able to pin point the time of the experience to the secound, so even though its only been done in one person it is very intresting indeed. Just think about the future of human kind once we are able to harnest the power of our brains. Prepare for evolution guys!!!!

People seriously underestimate the power of our minds and just how much we can do... especially towards our reality and so forth.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#1954502 - 09/26/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i'd like to see them write a word about 5 feet up that can only be read from above and then repeat them experiment. i would like to know if anyone sees it. that would be an easy way of determining if it is all in their head or if they are actually leaving their body.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: automan]
    #1954679 - 09/26/03 04:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

her reactions don't seem to be any different than all the other out of body experiences people say they've had, or drug use even. Ouu, they shocked her brain and he had strange sensations. One person?
Quote:

captured in the controlled setting of a laboratory

?
now i see why this is in spirituality.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: recalcitrant]
    #1955013 - 09/26/03 06:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

"now i see why this is in spirituality."

yeah, because it has to do with something that is important in many peoples spiritual outlook.

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: David_Scape]
    #1956734 - 09/27/03 09:19 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

To some people all the fun disappears if OOBEs are hallucinations.

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1956774 - 09/27/03 10:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thats why ignorance is bliss, for some people like you said. If the absolute truth about everything was to be known i bet you alot of bubbles would burst, even those that aproached everything with an open mind.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1956780 - 09/27/03 10:26 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Which bubbles ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Scientists find way to induce OOBE [Re: David_Scape]
    #1958727 - 09/28/03 02:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

actually i was going for something along the lines of how the science crowd wouldn't have tolerated the lies. but sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.

flaming aside, the only OOB experiences i've had i think were dreams, so what do i know. I liked that x-files where the guy could induce an OOBE and kill people. good premise for the fbi to be investigating.

oh damn, theres that LIT again.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology