Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Stabilizing a Mutant Strain?
    #3487409 -

I think mutants look cool, so i would like a strain that always gave mutants. Is this even possible? If so would you 1st make a clone of a mutant and see if that makes more mutants and then take a spore print to see if the spore will grow more mutants, or just skip the cloning part? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.


--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3487504 -

Im by no means even somewhat experianced in a subject like this, but if you do too many g2g transfers or kero to kero you start to get mutants after so many generations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3487704 -

The clone would be the likely candidate for producing more mutants. If you go back to spores, the mushrooms will most likely have regular charateristics. But, you want to make sure this would be a genetic mutation instead of one caused by chemicals. The latter would probably revert to regular mushrooms in the absence of said chemicals...


--------------------
To give is to live...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: ATWAR]
    #3487820 -

So if i did enough transfers that i was consistently getting mutants, and i took a spore print do you think that spore print would produce mutants? If so, would those mutants spore prints produce mutants?


--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3487919 -

Mutants are usually difficult to get prints from.

eg. Malaysians... I've done, have always thrown mutants.
Out of 4 casings, I only got about 8 prints.
The fruit from those prints were also mutants.
I don't know if this is true of other strains mutants, but it seems so for the Malaysians.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3488637 -

NoodleSalad said:
So if i did enough transfers that i was consistently getting mutants, and i took a spore print do you think that spore print would produce mutants?




If you were to intentionally over-transfer mycelium to obtain mutants, I believe the first thing that is lost is the ability to produce spores (reproduce). So in effect, you would be creating sterile mutants...


--------------------
To give is to live...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3490152 -

I've heard that a very light swipe of vaseline on the developing caps will induce mutants. Dunno if it's really true. If you're only interested in making it happen, without waiting generations, it might be worth a try.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3596103 -

Suntzu, is this true? I have some interest in mutants also and I will surely try it out. (Are you jerkin' my donger?)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: largosnook]
    #3598367 -

I'd never jerk your donger.  I'm telling you the truth when I say I don't know if it works :wink:
If it does work, it wouldn't be making true 'mutants', just deformed fruits.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3605363 -

maybe if u cloned a mutant and just kept growing from that clone. u always could just use UVB for ur lighting... thatd make a normal strain put up basically nothing but mutants.


--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.


_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.


Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3616812 -

Pretty much impossible actually.
The problem is that every mushroom is a representation of one of the possible phenotype variants that its particular spore match can exhibit as a response to varied environmental parameters. In a nutshell, when a mushroom begins to form, it has to have a few different variations in its characteristics to be able to respond to differing environmental parameters.
Mutants are usually just an expression of an inappropriate phenotype expression showing up from myriad of possible variants possible from its genetics.
Even if you clone it, you maye get one or two fruits out of a flush that are similar, but never a whole flush that are exactly the same. Genetics are never stable, even when you are cloning.
Its sort of like cloning a human who has lived in the arctic his whole life and eaten nothing but fatty foods and comparing to his clone 40 years down the track, who is an athelete who lives in california.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #3763626 -

why don't you just keep them under a blacklight?....my understanding from the spores is that if you are able to get spores those should have genes that are pure, and stable....so I doubt they would have any mutant charcteristics


--------------------
the jent

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: jent]
    #5288319 -

1.Take wanted clonee
2.Make three clones
Make mycelium syringe of each clone
3.Inoculate three separate cakes and grow(if you want you can put colonized cake into a casing).
4.Clone best from each cake/casing
5.Inoculate three separate cakes and if you want turn into casings
6.Take spores from most desirable mushroom of each cake/casing
7.Combine and there is now an isolation of whatever you want?.

or something like that

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: cultzombieflik]
    #5290624 -

I would think about it this - a mutation is a direct corruption of the Dna/Rna of a species usually caused by some external variable that the species has been in contact with during its development.
To expect that spores or a clone of such a mutation would hold the same genetic corruption - and that corruption to be stable enough for this to occur is unlikely.
It is posible however - some cancers in humans are a direct result of hypermethylation of certain genes - and this tendency can run in families.
Its important to remember that a clone of a mushroom is not the same as a clone of a human being - when you clone a mushrooms its like taking a cutting from a plant - it increases the likelyhood that any growth from that time will exhibit a similar phenotype expression to its cloned source but its by no means a guarantee.
If you go back to spore then its far less likely - your looking at hoping that a mutation will occur and that one of say 2 million possible phenotype characteristics will randomly re-appear in exactly the same way.
Your far better off trying to work out what caused the mutation and repeating this on newer batches or just cloning live mushroom tissue


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: cultzombieflik]
    #5290631 -

you wish it was that easy :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: cultzombieflik]
    #5293402 -

NO!

Just no. Read up on genetics if you actually believe this.


--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: DocPsilocybin]
    #5305427 -

Just spray lysol over it every few days,lol. JK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: FungusMan]
    #5336426 -

I actually have a little knowledge on this. I had a tub fruit from spores. The tub had all different looking fruits I took the best looking fruit ( a non-mutant) and cloned it because the fruitbodies from the tray before were very potent. Anyways, i took the clone and expanded it. The trays from the cloned tissue produced both normal looking fruits and mutants. So in my conclusion mutants can come from any single dikaryotic organism but I have seen far more in my P.Rican tubs than any other, FAR MORE..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stabilizing a Mutant Strain? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5355500 -

Isn't Penis Envy a mutent strain? I thought I read somewhere that its charicteristics were from a mutation that was stablized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Stabilization ? Ashana 448 1 07/07/03 04:10 PM
by micro
* Re: can a non hallucinogenic edible mushroom strain be cross bred with a hallucinogenic? mycofile 3,556 8 12/15/99 08:52 PM
by aaron
* creating new strains?
( 1 2 all )
Cyber 9,382 36 07/30/04 11:30 AM
by fastfred
* Re: Creating New Strains of Psychedelic Mushrooms Anonymous 9,712 12 01/18/00 03:17 PM
by Sclorch
* Sub-strain compatibility Land_Crab 1,241 7 03/15/05 12:15 PM
by Olgualion
* how is a strain made?
( 1 2 all )
Gr0wer 6,257 39 05/20/04 10:14 AM
by Anonymous
* isolating strains? myshoeisuntied 1,536 2 09/27/02 08:07 PM
by Zen Peddler
* Dr. Pollock's strains
( 1 2 all )
On_the_Down-Low 4,732 32 12/26/02 11:11 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta
3,333 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.