Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Learning music theory... [Re: Kremlin]
    #3468205 - 12/08/04 11:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

dont fall into the common musical elitist point of view, which is that if the chords arent complex, the song isnt good.

The truth is, anything is great, regardless of its complexity, as long as it can still communicate with you.

Simple can be awesome, complex can be awesome, in the middle can be awesome

--Krem

look at the beatles. they were masters of the major 7.

For jazz learning your modal scales are important, but for a piano player, the best advice ever is to never lift your fingers off of the keys. Keep them down and personal. I think Tony Levins said that.

For B3, its all about voicings. you can play the same chord 100 different ways and they will all sound different. (If you play B3, try turning some drawbars OFF. I have met a few players lately who never do this). I personally play in my right hand the 3,7 while walking around the root in my left hand. Great for comping. That is the way to play funk clavi too, but dont walk the left hand, just hammer out a descending blues scale intermittenly with the right hand. Try to stay away from playing right and left hands at the same time-this will make it sound more alive and funky. With funk keep it simple. I said all that just to agree to keep it simple.

Ive spent years studying music theory. In highschool I was an allstate trumpet player, in the music union doing gigs, and playing in funk bands. I have even played back up lead for the circus when it came to town. If you have never played with the circus it is hell.
Went to skidmore jazz institute for three years while in college. It is a summer program for college credit.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Edited by GratefulJim (12/08/04 11:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Learning music theory... [Re: Jim]
    #3468944 - 12/09/04 03:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I meant by extension chords:
Chords that use extension intervals such as

Add 9, 11, b13, sus4, etc.

I mean, a major chord can be boring sometimes. How bout throwing in a 9th?
D F# A E ooooohhhh :smile:

Music theory went out the window in academic 20th century composition. After the romantic period, people like Varese, Cage, Schoenberg, and Stravinsky totally rebelled against any traditional music theory and rearranged the 12 pitches (from octave to octave) in any order they like. Rather than writing a G major chord, it would turn into an interval vector, like [0,1,2,6] or something. Or create a melody based on timbre, rather than pitch. Or, put metal bolts and nuts in the piano strings to make a different 'dirty' sound...

Crazy bastards. If it weren't for Steve Reich and tape pioneers, we wouldn't have electronic music.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Learning music theory... [Re: Blastrid]
    #3471672 - 12/09/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

dude. listen to the Paul Hindemith trumpet concerto. that is whacked... that piano part is so freaking hard. I hate having to accompany people for that solo.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
    #3473259 - 12/09/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kremlin said:
dont fall into the common musical elitist point of view, which is that if the chords arent complex, the song isnt good.

The truth is, anything is great, regardless of its complexity, as long as it can still communicate with you.

Simple can be awesome, complex can be awesome, in the middle can be awesome :smile:

--Krem

Yeah, should we not like Merzbow or Stockhausen because they don't lump in with other artists who follw the 12 tone scale?

Everything Bach did was harmonically complex, but a lot of people think his music is stale, and nothing more than scales. I'm not one of those people, it's just an opinion some people like to throw around.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Learning music theory... [Re: Jim]
    #3474330 - 12/10/04 12:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i should clarify what i was saying more

I prefer more complex voicings of the chords, but it is also very nice to just jump back to some basic power chords here and there.  And i meant to say more precisely that chord progressions shouldnt have to be complex for the song to be good...not necessarily just the chords.

All in all, if you can feel it, its all good :smile:

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineMetatrad

#3476608 - 12/10/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've been playing guitar about 10-11 months now. I haven't really been concentrating on doing anything in particular, just trying to train my hands.

I don't know any theory at all (I've got a good book explaining how to read music and how all the notes and chords relate to the guitar, I just need to get around to reading it.), but just playing guitar a bit has definitely changed the way I listen to music. The complex stuff seems even more impressive, and the simpler stuff is cool because it makes me want to bust out the guitar and try to play it.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Learning music theory... [Re: Blastrid]
    #3479506 - 12/10/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:
I mean, a major chord can be boring sometimes. How bout throwing in a 9th?
D F# A E ooooohhhh :smile:

That right there just put a big smile on my face :grin:

How about the Bb/D in the B section of "Killing me softly with his song". 

Ooooohhhh ...

--------------------

OfflineGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: Learning music theory... [Re: abhi]
    #3481007 - 12/11/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i think no one made music like miles davis, tony williams lifetime, or king crimson in the sixities...well the grateful dead were getting fairly out there too....

the beatles were good at straight forward song writing...but the prog and fusion is where the stunning-ahead-of-your-time-technical abilities are...

--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder