Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Recent reflections upon the evils of major religions.
    #3372579 - 11/17/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

After Bush's reelection because of those American's voting their "values" I have been looking increasingly critically upon religion.

I think I have realized a major underlying problem with many religions. This is an emphasis on one's own salvation, or ticket to heaven, as the major drive of the religion.

Why do you want to be a good Christian? Why do you want to follow the Bible? Why do you want to stick to the Ten Commandments? Because if you don't, you are going to hell.

This can be a great thing, it drives people to adhere to the morals and virtues accepted by the church. Christianity embraces a lot of good morals like compassion and forgiveness and I certainly do not deny the benefits of a society adhering to rules like this. But with the good of the church comes the bad. Antihomosexuality, antidrug, antistem cell research, etc.

The problem arises because the goal of Christianity is not to make the world a better place, but to leave the world and go to a better place (Heaven). The two avenues of the problem are that 1. One's gaze is focused towards heaven and not here on earth and 2. One is fixed on a single path and stuck in a set of rules which are outdated, ignorant, and not created with the good of the many in mind.

1a. Life on earth is completely immaterial. No matter what atrocities and injustices are taking place, no matter how shitty life gets for everyone, it will never matter because Heaven is waiting for us. Earth is simply a place to wait and follow the rules of your religion so that you can leave and go to paradise.

2. One cannot use reason, logic, science, or morals that arise from the realities of earth, but rather one must adhere to the mores of the church. There is no more obvious example than this in the case of homosexuality. Clearly when one takes a look at the issue from the P.O.V. of reality, there is no problem. Looking through the eyes of the church, homosexuality or the support of it is an indisputable ticket to hell.

The world is double-screwed by religion. Religion prescribes that the state of the world is meaningless, and unless you want to endure an eternity of torture, you may not steer the world in a better direction.

This is easily seen by Americans when we look towards those who adhere to radical Islam. We collectively shake our heads at the foolishness of the 9/11 hijackers who thought that their flying into the Twin Towers would award them 70 virgins in the afterlife. But most of America is too blinded to look into the mirror and see they are no different.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Recent reflections upon the evils of major religions. [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #3372593 - 11/17/04 03:42 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Just because dumb simpletons interpret mythology as history doesn't mean religion is evil.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Recent reflections upon the evils of major religions. [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3372638 - 11/17/04 03:54 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Well that's all religion is. It's mythology, with a code of morals and beliefs that you HAVE to adhere to. It is my firm belief that the only good thing to come out of any religion is morals. If you can name another good thing that has come from religion, then I've got a nice shiny penny with your name on it! :wink:

But Amber, I think your post rings true. People are too concerned with what the afterlife will be. Sad to say, it's gonna be dark, cold, in a box 6 feet under and that's it. Fuck the afterlife, I'm concerned with LIFE. It's the only one we've got, so why can't we make the world a good place to live it in? Religion has bred far too many sheep that follow blindly. I can't remember the quote, or who it was by, but something to effect of "to have faith one must shut the eye of reason". I know I probably botched that one :lol:

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Recent reflections upon the evils of major religions. [Re: DNKYD]
    #3372658 - 11/17/04 04:03 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Even your understanding of what mythology is held up to a standard of being historical. Mythology is symbolism. That doesn't mean there isn't a God. It simply means that religion is TRUTH shrouded in ideas. The core of the symbol is Truth. These symbols either consciously or subconsciously shape and form the thoughts of believers - in particular, those who simply have the inability to understand symbols and mystery.

Truth is God, and God is Love.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3372956 - 11/17/04 08:21 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Why do you want to be a good Christian? Why do you want to follow the Bible? Why do you want to stick to the Ten Commandments? Because if you don't, you are going to hell.

Yes, unfortunately many major religions are based on fear, not love. Do this and don't do that, or you'll go to hell.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3372984 - 11/17/04 08:44 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

check out dr huston smith's book:
why religion matters

(& forgotten truth, & cleansing the doors of perception &c...)
http://hustonsmith.net

if you poke around the web, there's audio files available online somewhere...
& he has dvds & audio tapes & stuff at his website

in some ways, religion is a bit like psychedelics --- a very powerful tool, that can be used for great good, mindless twiddling, or great evil... it sorta depends on what we do with that "energy" we have raised, mmmm? & on how we integrate it into our lives...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (11/17/04 12:36 PM)

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3372989 - 11/17/04 08:50 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

The evil of religion emerges when its believers are consumed with a fantasy afterlife instead of trying to create paradise on earth.

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
    #3373245 - 11/17/04 11:15 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

the most important religions in the world were started out by visionaries, people that did have something to say to the world. the problem begins when the teachings of visionaries are built into institutions. i think the buddha was the most aware of this danger, when he said something like "don't believe what is written in books, not even sacred books, don't even believe in me. listen, experience and judge by yourself". but even buddhism eventually fell to the same problem in the countries where it became the official state religion.

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
Re: Recent reflections upon the evils of major religions. [Re: a_h_w]
    #3373314 - 11/17/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

i can't ever forget the first time i experienced the dialog with the mushroom. i had actually entered a bad trip, rejecting the experience because i was feeling it was too strong, etc... but eventually at some point i sit cross-legged on the floor and the dialog unfolded. the strongest feeling was that of talking with a fellow companion, a living being on this planet, just like me. i was alone in a small room with no windows, lights on and no visions, but the feeling was that we were in a riverbank among trees. and he told me this was paradise. earth was the paradise humanity so much longed for. that it was up to us to make it real.
amber_glow brought back the memory. and with it came the most delightful feeling of peacefulness...

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3373570 - 11/17/04 12:39 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

That's THEIR evil, not that of a religion.

An afterlife has nothing to do with it. Just because someone believes in the big long sleep doesn't mean they're more reasonable that someone expecting pearly white gates.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3373657 - 11/17/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

"that is the religion, this is but a legion"
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3375038 - 11/17/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

An afterlife has nothing to do with it?

When you stay in a hotel room, you do not bring all your belongings with you. You do not come in and immediately redecorate the room. You do not paint the walls, you do not retile the floor in the bathroom, you do not hang your paintings on the walls. It is a place you are stay for only a few days so you accept less from it, because you know that soon you will return to your home where you really work to create an ideal place to live.

To a person who believes heaven awaits them after their death, then life on earth is no more than somewhere you spend a relatively short time. People accept hardships and pain and wrong because it is only a temporary condition they must endure to get to heaven.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology