Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags?
    #3339165 - 11/09/04 11:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was checking out the spawn bags at mycobag.com
Seems like the dimensions of 18" x 5" x 4" wouldn't really maximize the room in a PC, in fact it seems to me that it would severely hinder it. I asked them what they would charge for custom bags (they say that they can make them), hopefully not too much, cause that would be the way that I will go. I went to the grocery store today and picked up a box of Reynolds large oven bags. They are more square in shape and would make a better "ball" to fit in the PC. You could fit about 1.5 gallons in each of them if you wanted, but they seem awful thin. Has anyone ever used either of these (the myco bags or the Reynolds oven bags) as spawn bags? Do you have any advice or tips?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer

Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3339219 - 11/09/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

afroaf used the renyolds bags, both time the bags ended up busting through because either too much spawn or the bag got weakened from the heat in the pc. he also used autoclavable bags with the filter patch from myco supply, same thing happened. hes learned to just stick witgh jars, more reliable, plus if its lots of spawn u need just order som of those big ass half gallon jars online

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: cottlestonpie]
    #3339338 - 11/10/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here was my plan and philosophy for the bags:

I'm operating of a few fundamental principles in my particular sitation...
1) Pressure cooker space is a limited and highly valued commodity.
2) I'm very poor. I actually stole my bags from the grocer. I have 30.
3) Jars are much more of a hassle and less efficient way to produce a mass of grain (and cost more, 0$ vs. 30-40$)
4) The workability of the bag allows the grain to be mixed and shaken much better and creating many more potential germ points.

In addition to getting my bags free  :wink: I believe that these oven bags have a better shape to accomodate and maximize the space inside the PC. They are more squared in shape as opposed to mycobag.com and mycosupply.com's elongated rectangular shape. I suppose these could be accomodated in a 21+ QT PC, but I assume that most people tryin to whip something up don't have the $200+.

My idea for them:
I figure that there are a few factors for failure:
1) the reliability of them for contam prevention
2) their fragility

I am going to "double bag" them. These suckers will easily accomodate a gallon and a half of rye. I'm going to put 1 gallon in each bag. To create a tight seal from contamination, but allow gas
exchange, I'm going to use some sort of plastic tube similar to a film canister with the bottom cut off, I just need the rigidity, then thread/fill it with polyfill. I was also thinking that the filter might easily slip during inoc or cooking somewhere if it was just twist tied or somethin. I'll then tape the bag tightly around the canister ensuring a good seal.

The last issue is prevention of the bags being damaged during the PC process, which may or may not occur if the bags came in contact with the walls of the PC. Do you think this would put a hole in them? What would you guys suggest for preventing this?

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3339441 - 11/10/04 12:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i dont have problems with bags from mycosupply burning when coming in contact with the wall. the main thing is dont let your PC run dry. Your ideas sound very well but watch for contams with large amounts of substrate. If you're scared of the bags burning, put them inside of a pillow case.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: derx]
    #3339495 - 11/10/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You could aslo wrap the bag in a towel. I've only tried bags a couple of times but. Both times i grew a bag of green mold. I prepared my rye just as always like magash's tek and inoculated with karo. I did have a shit load of rye grain in those bags. Never fooled with'em since. I used those reynolds oven bags exactly the way you're talking about spliffmasta.  :goodluck:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: atomic1]
    #3340066 - 11/10/04 05:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

2 liter bottle top..chop off the top of the bottle as close to the cap as you can then put a hole in the cap. That leaves you with two peices..the cap with a hole in it and the threads the cap screw to from the top of the two liter (you can see the two peices seperate sitting on the box). Bag goes through the 2 liter top, folded down and cap screwed on over it. Polyfil stuffed in the hole for air exchange and self healing injection point.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3340713 - 11/10/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You are the man!

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3340835 - 11/10/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys is there an oven bag tek, Ive been looking all over for it and cant find it anywhere, i keep coming up with the oven tek instead. If there is can some one point me in the right direction because i am finally getting a PC but don't have money for quart jars right now so i was going to do some rye pints and half pints and also try out some bags. I'm thinking i should prepare the rye just like for jars but unsure seeing how Ive never use rye before, any help would be appreciated.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: KyKid]
    #3340909 - 11/10/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think this might be what you are looking for...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2647751

Let me know if not... I'll help you find it.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3340950 - 11/10/04 12:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that's what i needed, thanks. i kinda figured you'd prepare it just like you would for jars but i wasn't sure and just need a guide to follow my first time doing it. thanks Sam, also it say straw is ok to use, i have everything to do some straw bags now, since there's no need to PC it, Ive done one straw grow and just pasteurized it. does straw work good for a substrate to knock up, i always thought it was just used for a substrate to spawn onto for bulk.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone ever used reynolds oven bags for spawn bags? [Re: KyKid]
    #3342829 - 11/10/04 06:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You can knock it up just fine but I would use liquid culture. Notice in my pictures thats whats in my bags straw..I've also sterilized jars of straw and knocked them all. The jars of straw actually did better though because the bags dried out when almost colonized. Once injected with sterilized water they finished..I havnt case any of them yet though..I should..I just need to get some more tubs, I keep forgeting when I go to walmart once I pick up a few other things I need. Seems never ending.

You can spawn to sterilized straw bags too..I did that to one of the three I did with a pint of spawn in a sterile environment (almost glovebox like)...did the same as the other two..dried out around the same time and once injected finished up. I think I used 5cc's per bag and 3cc's per quart jar. You can use more water on straw then grain because it dries out so quickly. I found after a 12 drip dry after the soak it was pretty damn dry feeling.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation