Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbie417
Stranger
Vermiculite Substitute
    #326518 - 05/26/01 05:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Went to the store to get "1st time" supplies and I got shutout on Vermiculite. The employee said they've discontinued the product due to asbestos concerns. I asked him what substitute there was for it and he said Perlite. Well, now I'm a little confused. What can I find as a substitute for Verm? I take it I can't use Perlite during the innoclulation phase? Help please. THanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Vermiculite Substitute [Re: Newbie417]
    #326525 - 05/26/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I got a bag a few days ago from Lowes...check a Lowes in your area. Wal-Mart carries a vermiculite substitute..I have no idea how good it would be cultivating though. Vermiculite is made of crushed up mica a ..mineral rock. Asbestos is made of long mineral fibers...don't know if mica is even used in the making of it. If they discontinued it for asbestos concerns...sounds somewhat stupid to me.

"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

OfflineNewbie417
Stranger
Re: Vermiculite Substitute [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #326542 - 05/26/01 06:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cool. The other day I went to a garden shop and I saw a bag there, but I decided to wait to get it at Walmart since I needed some other stuff. So I went to Walmart today and they said they were out. So I went to Home Depot and there is where I ran into the guy who told me that. Now I'm pissed. Oh well, have to get it next week.

Hey, I ordered some spores from PF. Have you had success in going that route?

Edited by Newbie417 on 05/26/01 08:29 PM.

Offlinesylo
addict
Re: Vermiculite Substitute [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #326759 - 05/27/01 02:19 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Asbestos is a mineral that is often found mixed with other minerals such as mica or talc. Talcum powder is no longer used because of asbestos concerns and I hope the same does not happen with vermiculite. I saw a bag of vermiculite substitute at Wal-Mart and, judging from the feel of the bag, it seemed to be a lot like perlite. It is probably not a good substitute for verm in shroom culture.

Offlinelateshroom
Re: Vermiculite Substitute [Re: sylo]
    #327006 - 05/27/01 12:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i've used kitty soil intead of vermiculite for five months now with great succes. there are mainly two types: the one that melts in the water, forming little cute balls of kitty piss, and the one that doesn't melt. you can even wash it.
you can use any of them, but paying attention to the amounts of water.

and that I was just doing what was necessary to stay comfortable while I waited to die...

--------------------
and then there was light

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract