Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Maintaining clean viable cultures for mass distribution?
    #3184951 - 09/27/04 03:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Is it possible to produce clean syringes for an extended period of time without a flowhood, or glovebox?

I've gotten along fine with just peroxidated agar for producing more than enough peroxidated liquid culture for my own personal use. I grow out wedges on agar which I use as long term storage. I transfer all my cultures onto new plates every year. I also use wedges of agar to inoculate jars of malt extract water which I make my syringes with.

Some species I use a pint jar with a thin layer of agar at the bottom which I grow out with mycelium. To make liquid inoculant I add sterilized peroxidated water and blend with a home made blender that I sterilize with a blow torch.

So far just the peroxide, and some Oust have kept my cultures clean, but if I were to start producing mass quantities of syringes what extra steps would I need to take to ensure that they are healthy and free from contamination?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining clean viable cultures for mass distribution [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3185145 - 09/27/04 05:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

> Is it possible to produce clean syringes for an extended period of time without a flowhood, or glovebox?
Really interesting topic !

I have tried to grow the mycelium in a bottle used by meds for infusions.

They have a self healing lid and you can add liquid medium (dextrose water) with some (big) syringes later.

When the mycelium has grown you can withdraw it with an syringe in open air - now need for flowhood ...

The advantage is that you can add liquid medium later very easily and fill new syrings whenever you need to without need for a flowhood.

What contamination is concerning: I had problems two times - but I think the original mycelium was not clean enough.
When using peroxid it seems that often some contams are (sleeping) on top of the mycelium and they start to grow when the liquid medium is added.
So you have the be sure that the original mycelium is really clean.

> To make liquid inoculant I add sterilized peroxidated water and blend with a home made blender that I sterilize with a blow torch.
Have you got some pics ? Would be interesting how your home made blender looks like.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms