Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

Loc: New England, USA
Beginner grower, am I missing anything?
    #3136632 - 09/14/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ive just recently been interested in cultivating mushrooms, so i figured nows the time to start.

i plan to follow the tek on mushmush.nl using jars and Magash's tek posted at http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1 . everything seems very straightforward i just have a few questions about PCing the jars, inoculation and need advice on my cultivation environment.

to start off, i should mention where i live, which is northeast USA. it gets pretty cold up here, cold enough to snow and is often near zero or below in the winter. it's just now starting to get cold, hell tonight while outside with my mom i could see my breath. in my house, we redid our basement and my room is down here. it's naturally cold down here. i dont know any exact numbers yet since i dont have a thermometer. i'll get one soon, and continue to post here with updates.  i do however have a humidity reading. right now, its between 60% and 75%, leaning towards 60% so i'd say around 65-70%. this seems a little low since in another advice thread zerozero stated that he/she cultivates in 100% humidity. i have both a humidifier, and dehumidifier so if i need more or less humidity, which im thinking i'll need more, i can run the humidifier constantly, if not run two of them. since the room i plan to grow in is in the basement, there are no windows, the only light is from lightbulbs. i think my incubation spot will be in my closet. i'll talk to my dad about putting another closet rack in, so i can have two shelves to put jars on. quoting mushmush.nl's tek: "Tha cakes should be incubated in a warm, clean and dark location. Since the microboxes have an air filter they can be placed virtually anywhere. They will not suffer from air contamination even in the most dusty environments. The glass jars however do not have filter and care should be taken not to expose them to drafts.". i have a heater i can run in the closet constantly if need be, i can figure out which setting i need to keep it on to keep the temperature near perfect (ill clear any fire hazards out of course). the environment will be clean, vacuumed, dusted, etc. and since its my closet, which will rarely be opened (clothes are in another room), it will be dark for the most part. again, since its the closet, there will be no drafts to worry about. my question for you all is, will the closet work fine granted i can fix my temperature problem? i will also probably run the humidifier in there constantly, to try to get it near 100% humidity. i considered incubating in my computer case, which ive read some things about. the temperature in there would be good, but humidity would be a problem, i cant really run a humidifier inside my computer, so i think i will use the closet, or maybe try the tub-in-tub tek. tub-in-tub seems like it would be very good, and much easier to control the temp/humidity than a whole closet. what do you think?

now with the incubation setting explained, i had a question about the jar stuff. i understand that you dont want the jar lid to be on tight, so it wont explode in the PC. i plan to just do what they did on the tek site, poke 4 holes in the lid. maybe it's because its late here i misread this, but should tape be placed over the holes after their made, so the tape is in the PC also? or should that be done after the jars have been in the PC, and after inoculation.

now, fruiting. i plan to just use a just follow Magash's tek which seems very straightforward and easy to reproduce. a quick question to either him/her, or anyone who's followed it, you PC the coir/verm correct? and what would be a likely place where i could find coir to buy? Magash said it'd be good to cover the sides of the casing so they dont start pinning, so i plan to be safe than sorry and will cover the whole thing. im not very good with cultivation terms (yet), what does "patching" mean (specifically quoting Magash: "Lots of people like to patch at this time. Myself I?ve never been one for patching so in the chamber they go. "). now looking at the "chamber", would you set the cool mist to pump out mist into the chamber so theres some moisture in the air? if so, should it just be a light amount of mist coming out, just enough so its just right?

wrapping this long post up, just some quick things on harvesting. im going to take a stab at saying the veil of the mushroom is that little ring thing below the cap, and when that tears down it's time to harvest, right? the rest of the post seems to be about making spore prints from the harvest, which i'm not interested in at this point, im just trying to get started.

one last, quick question, what would be the best strain to start off with for a first time beginner? something that you would say is the easiest to grow, fast-growing, and produces decent to good results? i plan to order a spore syringe from TLG so anything in stock from there will do perfectly.

sorry for any trivial questions, confusing ones, or anything thats blatantly obvious, it's a bit late here.

thanks for anyone who reads this and can share some info. i figured it'd be better to get adivce from experienced growers beforehand then buy the materials needed. cant wait to get started, i've always been interested in growing things, so i think ive found my new hobby :grin: thanks again and sorry for the long read!

--------------------

:laugh: www.djpoland.tk :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Beginner grower, am I missing anything? [Re: DJ_Poland]
    #3136691 - 09/14/04 11:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

dont humidify your room, just humidify a container. I would have 2 tub in a tub containers one set for ~85F for incubating jars and one set for ~75F for fruiting.

When you follow a tek follow the whole tek. You will need polyfill stuffed in a single hole in the lids, you tighten the lids down. Tape and holes is for PF tek.

After growing a few casings I would just go bulk. Pasturize some straw and possibly manure and fill your fruiting tub with that, much simpler and you get way more shrooms.

b+ or creeper are good starts

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

Re: Beginner grower, am I missing anything? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3136723 - 09/14/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thanks alot for the quick reply! i think i will follow the tek posted on here by Magash, much more detailed and uses the tub-in-tub.

and manure... in my room? i got enough shit smell with the cat litter box in the other side of the basement, now manure! :crazyeyes: haha

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3136728 - 09/14/04 11:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Straw alone works fine but manure dosent smell once the casing is made.

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

Re: Beginner grower, am I missing anything? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3139371 - 09/15/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i've now ran into one problem thats holding me back from getting started. i plan to do two tub-in-tub setups, one for incubation one for fruiting, but humidity is still a problem. the humidity in my closet is around 73% now, would that be suitable for growing? if not, would getting a mister that will spray for like 30 seconds every hour into both tubs fix the humidity problem?

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3139425 - 09/15/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You don't need to humidify your incubator, just the fruiting chamber. I don't know about your "mister," but if you're going to be using something like that, you might want to put a drip shield over your grow like in the PF tek because large water droplets can damage our fragile little friends (mycelium and fruitbodies, but myc. esp.).

Look up info on the PMP aka the poor man's pod. This should meet your humidity needs. You could also try a coolmist or ultrasonic humidifier, there's plenty of info on those in this forum, and they're not super expensive.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

Re: Beginner grower, am I missing anything? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3139436 - 09/15/04 06:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i tried looking for coolmist and the ultrasonic humidifier. i do have a humidifier right now, its very similar to http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=43228-79995-HM1230 but would i place that in the actual fruiting chamber on low?

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3139444 - 09/15/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No, you actually run a line of rubber tubing from the coolmist output to your grow chamber somehow... let me see if I can find you a link here really quick..

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

#3139447 - 09/15/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

sweet. thanks :smile: i'll have to keep searching online for the coolmist thing.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3139476 - 09/15/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ah, here you go:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7994

Talks about many different methods and highlights the coolmist approach. I hope this helps you out. If you're doing a small grow to begin, let me suggest the perlite/geolite/lava rock method with a bubbler underwater. If you have a shelf setup, you would probably want to consider the coolmist method... If you want to see Magash's Martha Stewart setup (gaining popularity on this site, known as "the martha"), he uses a shelf setup with a coolmist attached - It's in his Rye tek (which BTW, should be stickied or added to the growing section of the site)... just scroll down and you'll eventually find it. His rye tek is pretty cool and I'm actually going to build one of those things after I get the hang of casing.

--------------------

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

#3139589 - 09/15/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i plan to follow his martha setup, i found a 60" closet cheap. im just not sure about temperature. i would LOVE to use that instead of a tub. but im not sure how to heat it up to the correct temperature, unless i stuck a heater in there and play around with settings to get it right.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3139630 - 09/15/04 06:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My suggestion would be to heat the whole closet up... If your chamber is hotter than the outside room, you're going to have problems keeping your humidity up because the moisture will just condense on the walls and go to waste.

Anyways, you're unrated and seem to have a head on your shoulders, so 5 shrooms for you.

--------------------

OfflineDJ_Poland
Stranger

#3140100 - 09/15/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thanks. hmm. heating up the closet could work. i'd much rather use the martha, it'd be a lot more convienent to check the fruiting trays, so i think i'll work something up for that. for incubation i'll stick to the tub-in-tub.

so far, for the martha this is what i've come up with:

Closet:
House Essentials 60" Portable Closet - $28.88 (Lowes)
I'll find a better picture when i'm home from school.

Fan:
Honeywell 8 In. Diameter Black Desk Fan - $15.48 (Home Depot)

Heater:
Patton 1500 Watt 1Touch Oscillating Heater/Fan - $27.88 (Home Depot)

i plan to get as many fans as i feel is needed to keep air circulating throughout the closet (probably one per level, i'll use 2 racks to have two levels, each level having one fan, or two). i'm thinking about putting a lightbulb or two on each level, in the center, to aid  fruiting, and i'll keep them on from 7am till 7pm, giving them 12 hours of light, 12 hours of darkness (if that's too much i can reduce it). fans will be kept on a low setting, so they dont whip up a storm in the closet, just keep the air circulating. the heater will be placed at the bottom of the closet. from the description, it has a "one touch theromostat for precise temperature control". i think that will work fine. i may also run a heater outside the closet, on a medium-low setting just for added heating, i dont think it can hurt any.

however, i'm still stuck with the misting problem. i'm going to use ShroomGod's Cool Mist Humidifier Connected to a Garden Hose tek, and run the mist so it goes by the fans, and gets circulated throughout the closet. i checked amazon, home depot, lowes, and walmart and had no luck finding anythign resembling the one in the picture (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Creek/3715/coolmist.jpg).

the only problem i can see happening is the mist and the heater not going together well, but i dont think that will be much of a problem since 75? isn't too bad.

my room may already be 75? as is, i'll get a thermometer tomorrow and see. if it is, that would make things muuuuuch easier  :tongue2:

--------------------

Edited by DJ_Poland (09/16/04 06:23 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation