Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 31. Does tripping enlighten you? Really?
    #3042829 - 08/24/04 06:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Tripper's FAQ

31. Does tripping let you reach enlightenment? For how long? What is enlightenment?

Comments, answers and links are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery

Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: Rose]
    #3042894 - 08/24/04 07:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think it just allows you to see the world through anothers eyes, lets you see how the simple things in life are the most important. Thats always hard to remember though because soon as some one gives you attitude you forget.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3042939 - 08/24/04 07:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This is a tough question because it seems after awhile that all those things one has done in the past were merely chemically altering substances which "seemed" to enhance reality or perpetuate the supernatural. Then one is reminded again when the time is right, that truly some things help one to understand the divinity of us all. I have heard all sorts of different opinions, I am inclined to believe that we are food for something one day, just as we eat food day to day. Sometimes the "come up" on mushrooms has been described to me as difficult or angst ridden (pronounced Aun-cks, not Ang-st according to an English prof I had) because it is the mind switching modes and beginning to enter into the realm of the divine.

Really though, I dunno, I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question.

Peace.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3042962 - 08/24/04 07:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

reading some of the comments from folks like aldous huxley or alan watts about "enlightenment" & about psychedelic substances might give us some clues... (as well as many others who have explored some of the potential of the materials - hoffman (& some of the foks he turned on in europe), leary & alpert & metzner, masters & houston, ott, mckenna, huston smith --- the list goes on...)

huxley suggested that the psychedelics are analogous to the christian theological concept of "gratuitous grace" - i.e. an experience neither neccessary nor sufficient for salvation...

& watts used this analogy - experience of the psychedelic state (with sufficient motivation, preparation, and openness...) may allow one a glimpse of possibilities ond directions; like climbing to a treetop in the middle of a forest - once you get your bearings (where you've come from, where you are, & where you're going) it's time to climb back down the tree & continue on your journey (& if you spend all your time climbing up & down trees, you'll be a long time getting out of the forest...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinecosmicray
Emaho!

Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: gnrm23]
    #3043607 - 08/24/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'd like to chime in on that and agree.  Huxley's comparison to gratuitous grace goes on to say "...potentially helpful...".  I think a lot of it has to do with how you approach it.

So does this tripping-enlightenment mean your body vanishes in the death puff of samsara?  I don't think so.  That gets into what enlightenment is, which varies tremendously. I agree with Signo, that one can't be answered.

I can say that I remember vividly a trip where I *knew* why the buddha smiled.  He smiled at my knowing, and smiled at my knowing he knew and on and on.  It was a powerful thing I experienced on so many levels at once. Trying to describe it never seems to work.  I think that experience, and others like it, opened me up a little and I got to take that with me.  I don't know how to label those experiences, but I know I want more of em!  Oh no, wait, desire is a trap, I shouldn't want them.  Damn, better trip and try figure this out :smile:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3043680 - 08/24/04 12:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Terence Mckenna once said that viewing the world from an altered state allows you to "triangulate" reality.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3044043 - 08/24/04 01:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I always feel like shrooms allow me to "experience" ideas or concepts that already existed within me but that I hadn't bothered to realize before.

OfflineZeaL311
Chopped

Loc: Your Mom's House
Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: MOTH]
    #3044251 - 08/24/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When I am on shrooms and having a good trip it totaly enlightens me to many different things. I feel like I am going to change my life and be nice to everyone and help the world and other people. Then I wake up the next morning and just say fuck it lol.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#3044448 - 08/24/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Triangulation is a great word for summing things up. This is also how I see things.

Good trips just make me appreciate life in general so much more. I see all my faults and it makes me really want to cut them out of my life. There's a lot of unnecessary hate and anger in this worl d.

Enlightenment or not, they certainly make you think about things. I care not to ignore the shrooms, they've taught me so much.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3044466 - 08/24/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When I am tripping on shrooms or any trippy substance. I become fully aware of all the life around me

The world is alive

I also become very enlightened to my personal life. It allows me to " Figure it out"

I also think trippin allows us to see the future. That is.... when you are tripping you can put yourself into choices you might make tommorow and see what they will bring.

Like testing certian outcomes to any choices you might have to make.

Shrooms Enlighten us on many levels

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
    #3046211 - 08/24/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think it is definately enlightening. I have learned so much about so many things from tripping. I've had full blown religious experiences, including ones of death and rebirth. Tripping is exactly like being a really little kid/baby again. I've had flashbacks to when I was a baby, and also past lives. Has anyone else had the sense that the cycle of life is a giant conciousness that has no idea what is going on and is freaking out? I've gotten that sense, and also the sense that it is never ending, a constant cycle of death rebirth, but that this mass conciousness doesn't want to keep going, and wants peace and quiet. All religions are based on that principal, the founders had this experience and all believed that you had to do certain things to achieve this eternal peace and happiness, call it Nirvana, Heaven, the Void, it's all the same thing. Peace.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3046536 - 08/25/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've definately been enlightened by mushrooms. The first time I took it I realized how beatiful everything was, what I was doing wrong in life and how to live life better. I do have to admit though that the motivation wore off after a week or so but I still haven't forgotten what I have learned.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3047623 - 08/25/04 08:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

another problem with any revelatory or transcendent experience is how to integrate "it" (IT!) into daily life...
("sic transit gloria mundi" as the saying goes :wink: ...)
this problem is especially acute with the psychedelically-mediated gnosis... for one, there is often (tho' not invariably) little prior preperation for, or experience with, any satori-states; and the western user of entheogenic plants seldom has cultural support or a tradition/ritual/worldview on how to handle or interpret "wtf just happened to me?" - especially when the tripper was only planning a little party-zoomin' with his buddies & suddenly instead just had "the whole effing universe" opened up, all surrounding & ready for grokking in fullness and cherishing self and universe in its own quivering thusness (if ya know whatta mean...)
~
"traditional methods" & "tradtional cultures" - whether they incorporate entheogenic substances, or use non-drug methods - often have available the knowledge of how to integrate the transcendent-state knowledge back into the mundane world (samsara is nirvana; as above so below; thou art that... many ways to try & say words about "it" ...)
~
anybody book passage to the island of pala?
(attention, attention... karuna... here & now, boys, here & now...)
~
namaste

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (09/02/04 03:15 PM)

OfflinesHrOoMeRrR420
Narcotics Agent
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: gnrm23]
    #3048698 - 08/25/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I really don't know too much on the topic, but the way I see it is
its like a near death experience. Of course when you've had a near death experience your gonna be a better person, you're gonna want to do helpful things to others, your gonna realize things about the world that you've never realized before, your gonna realize how great life is... Thats just how I look at it..

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #3052302 - 08/26/04 09:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Its what you make of them.

They surely can be a learning experience as any other experience in life,but mushrooms and generally psychedelics are an "intense experience on demand".

Enlightment? Define Enlightment first..If we are talking about "classic" enlightment in dictionary terms take int oconsideration the following quote:
"If psychedelics could bring instant enlightment ,then the clubs would be full of Buhdas,Christs and Saints"...Aparently they are not.

Check out people that use mushrooms.You can find clever people,you can find morons as well.You can find people that use it as a learning experience ,you can also find people whose operative terminology is "getting fucked up".

Give 5 gramms of dried cubensis to a bonzo and see what happens.Now give the same amount to a philosopher ,to a monk or to a person already following a spiritual path. Notice what happens.

Since you are making a FAQ,let it not be a "Yet another mushroom FAQ".You could highlight methods for achieving "earth shattering results" than can change one forever.Please let it not be another "recreation FAQ"

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #3052404 - 08/26/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Enlightenment, What a great subject. :wink:

You get from mushrooms what you expect to get.

Some people take them just to "Get High" or "Get Fucked up" If that is all they are looking for, it is all they will find.

To quote a song I once heard,

"Enlightenment is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon."

If that is the road you are on, Mushrooms open your mind to experiences you may otherwise never see. If not they are simply a way to get stoned.

This question in and of itself sums up the difference between modern civilized mans use of mind altering drugs and tribal mans use of mind altering drugs. Most modern mans uses are for escape. Escape from the monotony of the day to day life. Tribal mans uses tend to be for exploration of the spiritual side of life.

Offlinehickonaim
AlCoHoLiC
Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: Cyber]
    #3066289 - 08/29/04 08:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've never used to "Get High" or "Get Fucked Up".I enjoy the spiritual trips and I feel like Im better off after each experience it's like I'm learning.

--------------------
What I say on the posts is not true!!I never grew,ingested,or distributed mushrooms of any kind.In fact I don't even know what a mushroom is.

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3066644 - 08/29/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Tim leary is living proof!

OfflineTyger
PeAcE

Loc: My house (Canada)
Re: FA12. Does tripping enlighten you? Really? [Re: liveby]
    #3067730 - 08/30/04 03:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I sometimes call mushrooms "the truth" for many different reasons. you (can) learn many thing for the experience (or nothing at all). It's what you want out of it!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3068151 - 08/30/04 08:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think that mushrooms can offer temporary enlightenment while you're on them. However, staying in that state of mind afterwards requires mental discipline.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience