Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Startup for a small scale farm
    #28359022 -

Not sure if I'm in the right category but I have done research into the cultivation of various mushrooms in the past. As I've progressed through life I've found an increasing need for money - haven't we all! I have a full time job that supplies me with benefits for my family, pension and a steady, predictable paycheck.

I found cultivation of mushrooms an incredibly satisfying experience in the past, so now in present times I wonder to myself can I take that previous knowledge and make it profitable. It's been several years since I've busted out the old Paul Stamets book but all my notes and bookmarks are still intact. In no means am I worried about cultivating, I feel that once I review my work and notes it will all be like riding a bicycle.

My real issue is the planning, logistics, scaling, and marketing. TLDR; I'm searching for somebody who is willing to help provide the knowledge or who can lead me in the right direction to start a business for food quality mushrooms. Somebody who has had experience in scaling from what would be a small scale farm into something larger. A person who would know potential startup costs or who could formulate a budget on let's say under $5000 CAD.

If this sounds like you I would love to pick your brain, I gladly would accept any help.

Potentially helpful information, I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I previously stated $5000 as a budget but I would be much more happy with around $2000 as a budget and reinvesting whatever profits to be made. I have about 500 square feet of currently usable space that can be doubled at a moment's notice if demand is met. If this takes off in a upward fashion I have 20 acres of land that I can build upon (this information is solely to express that I don't intend to spend any money on renting space and that should reflect my budget). My budget is solely for material.

I make this post as I don't want to talk to a business consultant yet, but would rather hear from people with real experience in this field.

Edit* is it even feasible/doable to start with $2000 or is that too low to start. What could the potential yields be with this startup and how to ramp up with potential revenue.

Edited by Xuthal12 (06/13/23 10:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Xuthal12]
    #28359515 -

I think 2000 is extremely small budget for commercial growing. I started my business as small as I could and the initial investment was about 6-8 times more. But I'm renting the operation place and quit my job before that so I had no time to build the business THAT slow that it would have been with 2000.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: spasm666]
    #28359675 -

:whathesaid:

$5000 just isn't going to get you going properly. That just don't get you very far at all. I think I have close to that much money invested in my chicken shit lab. You start adding up flow hoods, building materials, sterilizers, steamers, wiring, racks, commercial refrigerator, etc etc the bill gets big quick

You should save up more money and maybe look into doing a professional consultation first. Erik at maine cap n stem is a good one to talk to. He'll do zoom consultations. Or maybe look around locally and see if theres any mushroom farms around. They may let you come help out. Trade labor for knowledge

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Stromrider]
    #28359736 -

I should probably have given more information as to what I have already. I do possess pressure cookers, grow tents, 4 tier greenhouse tents, inline fans, ultrasonic humidifiers, industrial lighting, infrared heaters. Probably a couple other things that I'm not mentioning as it isn't in front of me. But I've acquired these things in the past for growing marijuana (as it's legal in Canada) and some other tools from various other projects.

A lot of the hardware I do have, the $2000 is basically just for substrate, spore, packaging material, and maybe some niche things I didn't buy from aforementioned projects.

As I put all these responses into words I realize more and more I just really need a consult on how to move forward. I realize that my budget of $2000 probably sound naive however I have what I would think is almost all the equipment needed sourced. I was more looking for starting steps,and maybe some advice as to where to go and what yields to aim for vs relative material used i.e. 5 pounds substrate should yield 'X' pound of product. Possibly even the previous experience from others on starting their own farming business... I don't really believe going to a farm and working will benefit me at all except for seeing how a potential business will progress. The labor for knowledge I feel would almost be useless in terms of growing as I already have experience in that field. Business is my struggle as I've never started one in this field - I however have started a business in animal removal and successfully sold for profit, and then grew another business with a partner in HVAC which I gave up to pursue another career.

"Erik at maine cap n stem" this is definitely a source that I am looking for and advice that I would appreciate thank you


--------------------
The title was shadow stalker. You'll probably find me in your closet.

Edited by Xuthal12 (06/14/23 04:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Xuthal12]
    #28359893 -

If you have all the equipment already and want a straight forward answer, run a farmers market stand and network with people. Don't make commitments yet to chefs until you really dial in your setup, hone your mushroom growing skills, and understand your weaknesses in growing mushrooms. That's why a farmers market is an excellent start.

Usually 5 pound blocks can yield a pound a half. Sometimes more. I've had some of my 10 pound blocks yield 3 pounds. Play around though and see how much blocks you can cycle at a time.
Going to a farm really helps, don't be closed minded about that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Mr.GameAndWatch]
    #28360060 -

Definitely good advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Stromrider]
    #28360138 -

I love the advice, may I try and add some direction using that advice. I would like to start with king oysters however I am open to suggestions based on ease of growth vs. profitability.

I still have yet to open my books and research into the gourmet side of things, so what would be suggestions on substrates, mediums, containers etc.  Should I try to source these locally or is there a recommended distributor that somebody has used in the past.

I am very inclined to using bags as a growth container as it seems this is a grower friendly medium. Hay/straw seems like a very cost effective.

As some background BRF is something familiar, later turned to grain spawn when I discovered the ways of pressure cooking.

Some direction would be lovely into starting this journey


--------------------
The title was shadow stalker. You'll probably find me in your closet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Xuthal12] * 2
    #28360585 -

If you are doing this as a business becuase you seek the money, turn back now unless you find the appropriate appreciation in being a Mushroom farmer. I don’t want to discourage you but it’s more than just “growing mushrooms” and you’ll come to find out very quickly when so. There’s a lot of cleaning involved, careful planning, logging your logistics, Trial and error, and finally, mushrooms being mushrooms.

I obviously won’t stop you from growing mushrooms becuase you are free to venture in whatever you like. I suggest to start with another oyster mushroom such as a gold oyster, pink oyster or blue oyster. King oysters are a little finicky to grow, or just don’t grow at all.. that’s just the way it is, hence- mushrooms being mushrooms.
Pink, gold and blue oyster are extremely forgiving and you can easily yield mushrooms in 33 days easy. Even lions mane is an easy mushroom. Start with those and I suggest learning how to sterilize your substrate and choosing your substrate. As I said YouTube is your best friend and the shroomery archives. I won’t sit here and tell you how to do it becuase there’s amazing content than listening to me.

As far as sourcing your material and substrates , call your local coops or post what you’re looking for in Facebook farmers groups. If you are leaning towards masters mix, first call your coops, farmers, and distributor for soyhull pellets. Sutherlands or Atwoods rarely have it but I have seen it before. Do the same with hardwood fuel pellets. If there’s absolutely no way to get soyhull pellets you must move onto a different supplemental substrate unless you want to ONLY use hardwood and ONLY pasteurize your substrate. See how much more there is into finding the right recipes and doing research? Your title asks a business question but I suggest to research and post/ask your gourmet questions in your posts and we will answer it one at a time.

You can use straw but don’t expect super huge yields at the same volume masters mix can do. You better have a shit ton of straw, you can also combine it with your HWFP but its not as nutrient dense..
“Stray from Hay” is what I’ve always been told but someone here can maybe correct me.

If you are leaning towards this in a serious manner, start with buying a grow kit or two from the shroomery sponsored vendors.
Next, ask your questions or research. Research masters mix recipe, research pressure cooking times and PSI levels, research appropriate pasteurization protocols, incubation temperatures, Bag filter microns, the right mushroom strains, fruiting requirements, humidity levels. I don’t mean this in a bad way but I don’t think you’ve done enough research just yet.

God I can go all day. Welcome to gourmet mushroom cultivation. Ask questions from ground up and we will help you buddy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Mr.GameAndWatch]
    #28361716 -

Mr.GameAndWatch said:
If you have all the equipment already and want a straight forward answer, run a farmers market stand and network with people. Don't make commitments yet to chefs until you really dial in your setup, hone your mushroom growing skills, and understand your weaknesses in growing mushrooms. That's why a farmers market is an excellent start.

Usually 5 pound blocks can yield a pound a half. Sometimes more. I've had some of my 10 pound blocks yield 3 pounds. Play around though and see how much blocks you can cycle at a time.
Going to a farm really helps, don't be closed minded about that.




Yes.. no matter how much experience growing on a hobby level, when trying to scale up to a business level you will experience growing pains because what is required for business level growing and hobby level growing isn't exactly the same.. and selling at a Farmer's Market like he is saying is perfect for you to work through the many differences without losing business customers and a ton of money. Expect failures in the process. Plan for them because they will happen as you grow your business. Start small so when your failure bumps happen you don't lose big.


--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: spasm666]
    #29681433 -

I get where you are coming from, but $2000 will vanish fast once you factor in substrate, spawn, filters, and packaging, let alone the rent for that 500 square feet
I would strongly suggest you skip the chef pitches and hit a farmers market first with pink or blue oysters, since they forgive mistakes like overwatering and temperature swings way better than king oysters. A 5-pound block gives you about 1.5 pounds of mushrooms, which is a decent margin when you sell at $15 a pound retail. For the business side, I have been using a virtual office service to keep my own overhead down while I test the waters, and you can see the plans here if that helps you avoid a separate lease for just admin work
Start with a dozen blocks, track your contamination rate, and only reinvest once you have a repeat customer base, because hobby experience honestly does not prepare you for the scale of commercial losses

Edited by CortheySalivan (10/03/26 06:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: CortheySalivan]
    #29686336 -

Fantastic informed first post!
Welcome to the Shroomery!


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Startup for a small scale farm [Re: Asante]
    #29686634 -

I'd love to see xanthul sign back on and share his experience in starting a farm :camping:

Thanks for signing in and sharing your expertise Corthey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Modular mushroom farm. feb 1,077 4 07/20/04 05:13 PM
by feb
* Any local areas where I can pick up some Soyhull pellets? Don't wanna pay insane shipping... Mr.GameAndWatch 152 1 02/18/22 11:47 AM
by taku
* mushroom farm
( 1 2 all )
socialnorm77 9,644 39 04/06/11 06:19 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Hard working guy searching for a job at a mushroom farm!
( 1 2 3 all )
dumlovesyou 13,813 45 04/28/03 09:49 AM
by curenado
* I need some guidance (mushroom farm) felix4life 2,690 14 09/12/08 08:17 AM
by Culland
* Small Scale Commercial Indoor/Outdoor Setup mattymonkey 5,358 15 03/25/10 12:11 AM
by RogerRabbit
* Has anyone grown morels?
( 1 2 all )
KaptainK 8,676 36 11/02/05 05:37 PM
by ShroomOmatic
* small scale commercial production questions
( 1 2 3 4 all )
fungophiliac 17,150 74 03/21/05 11:08 AM
by fungophiliac

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, Forrester, Stromrider, SHROOMSISAY01
842 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.