Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Micro-fruit possible solution. * 3
    #29654061 -

Ive struggled for years with yeti doing this micro fruit thing first flush.  Usually i can get some nice dongs second flush  but first flush always bothers me. 

So one of the things ive tried lately is wetter substrate. Usually im doing a factor of x4.44 but lately started going upwards.  this picture is from a factor of x4.6 which seemed too wet but its doing well. 

It does develope surface moisture that seems almost too much and i about cracked the lid but then...




I mean its simple right? Dryer substrates pin faster and pin more resulting in smaller fruit with less available water to pull from.  Wetter substrates pin slower, and pin less with more water to draw. 

Ive got a bunch of other tubs with wetter subs in the works right now.  Seems hopeful. Ive suspected it for a long time but im a creature of habit.  I tend to wonder if pe blobbing isnt related to the same thing although i dont know if it wants wetter or dryer sub im not really a pe guy.

Anyway this would turn our entire model for sub prep on its head and id have to edit my tub tek and start talking about this.  Wed need to start pooling data.

Edited by BeefExtreme (08/24/26 07:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29654165 -

I just had a pathetic Yeti first flush so I am interested. Might've been the coir, it was quite fibrous and long, not sure if that makes a difference. Plantation Soil from Zoo Med, but now I'm back with Plantbest Coir "Peat" that mixes perfectly and creates uniform fluffyness.

But 4.44x to 4.6x is not much of a change, and still below the classic 5x water ratio for coir. The stuff I am using now seems to get field capacity at 5x.

Perhaps you are uniquely dialed in, but wouldn't that well within the standard?

Got video evidence of your field capacity at 4.4 to 4.6 x? What is the difference? Curious on your brand  of coir as well.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: Huskies]
    #29654175 -

Would a wetter tub be slightly over field capacity? Like the point where you can squeeze out a gentle stream of water from it, as opposed to a few drops.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #29654190 -

Highly interested as I too am currently dealing with yeti micro fruits.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: seldom seen]
    #29654208 -

I think there's interplay between a variety of factors, with genetics right there near the top. We develop paradigms based on an average set of parameters, but the actual interaction curves are far more complicated than we could easily understand.

I've had everything "dialed in" for years, but I'm trying to fruit tubs in the summer months in a room that's always difficult to consistently heat or cool, and finding that what was "dialed in" for temperatures in the 50-70 degree range is a whole other ball of wax for temperatures in the 70-85 degree range. This holds true for extra special proprietary plin lines that I thought I knew inside-out, and haven't given me any trouble in years. I'm not fanning, but boy am I ever misting lol. I'll probably try harder in the future to plan for <redacted> in such a way that summer growing isn't necessary.

What I really want to see you do is figure out how to spawn tubs with a line of drip tape running through the coir.

Oh, and Yetis are cool, but Rtic is way cheaper and just as good. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)


--------------------

Edited by B Traven (08/24/26 12:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: B Traven] * 2
    #29654223 -

Good point, I think being more nuanced on prepping for specific genetic variation might have to be the key.

Maybe every variation has its own "set and forget" parameters. Always good to break good habits for better ones

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29654281 -

I do think something like this warrants some A-B testing to see the effects. Something so simple yet I don't think I've ever seen someone compare sub hydration % to fruit size, only BE usually.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29654283 -

:takingnotes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: Agar Wedge] * 1
    #29654313 -

I use coco bliss.  About 4.4 put it right at field capacity. 4.6 is well over capacity. Gentle stream on a squeeze.

I've tried a lot of other things side-by-side with my control which is well documented in my tub tek:

Lower spawn ratios
Thinner/thicker pseudo/case
No compression/ less compression/ more compression
Same follows for the casing; anywhere from no compression to heavy compression.
Higher growing temperature
Lower growing temperature
Higher ambient humidity
Lower ambient humidity
Vermiculite
Embarrassingly, I've even tried gypsum
More air
Less air
No effect...


Now I am well beyond hydration levels that most experienced growers including myself would ever recommend and I seem to be getting the result I have been looking for.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme] * 1
    #29654358 -

OK, that's all well and good, but when are you gonna start pushing the envelope with drip tape?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: B Traven]
    #29654514 -

Just a thought, yetis put a lot of moisture into their fruiting matrix to be big and fat and thick. So they may need more water, just by nature to fill out their ideal mushroom blueprint size

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: langten69]
    #29654516 -

Yep.  Thats kinda what we're thinkin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29654681 -

Could you mix a single spawn batch in two halves in the same tubs, with different / gradiated hydration levels?

Related thing I was wondering lately: could you promote monster fruits by running a cake generally dry, but wick/drip watering only a small portion of it, to basically make one small area think it's got the only water access, so it funnels all the water into one area?

IDK if it works like that.


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29654689 -

Rasmodius said:
Related thing I was wondering lately: could you promote monster fruits by running a cake generally dry, but wick/drip watering only a small portion of it, to basically make one small area think it's got the only water access, so it funnels all the water into one area?




Is that before or after the cake is colonized?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: langten69]
    #29654693 -

Really appreciate this write up @BeefExtreme, have always had the same issue with the Yeti at my end. I usually do x4.5, but I will try the 4.6 and see how I go as well.

Mush Love!


--------------------
~ I used to get high on life, until I realized life was cut with morons ~
* You need 2 wake up and smell the music! *
- We are all computer data in a materialistic world -
| Sometimes you have to lose yourself, to find anything |

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: Blazer420] * 1
    #29655391 -

I just thought of something: has anyone done Yeti tubs with a straw substrate? What about manure?

I think consensus is that straw might have worse yields than coir, but it does output larger fruits. True from my experience.

What is the mechanism that makes the shrooms react to that, do we have any insights?


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: B Traven]
    #29655392 -

B Traven said:
OK, that's all well and good, but when are you gonna start pushing the envelope with drip tape?




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29655428 -

Even thinking about how that would look starts to annoy me. I guess I can think of kind of a maual pump system. I haven't seen drip tape in a long number of years but there is like the laser perforated micro tubing.

I suppose the way you would want to do it is pumping water in with a big syringe so you could actually measure and keep data.

Maybe after I get a dishwasher to wash all that fucking tubing I might think about it. Are we talking about like al manifold underneath the substrate or actually running through it? I sort of want to try it sometime just for shits and giggles with absolutely no expectation

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29655452 -

I guess the image in my head is based on the bedders that lay plastic mulch with a line of drip tape under it, so yeah, I was picturing spawning the tape or tubing or whatever directly through the middle of the substrate. So rather than top or bottom watering, or spraying the sides, or dunking, it would be MID-watering.

I agree that the imagined setup can't help but be annoying.

I still want to see it, though.

But yeah, thinking of a syringe or something like that, it needn't be too complex. Irrigation line coming out through a little hole with some kind of cap/adaptor at the end. So you can hook up the syringe, squirt the desired amount, cap it, and move on to the next tub. No need to open the lid or rearrange the stack.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Micro-fruit possible solution. [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29655570 -

I recently started experimenting with bottom watering as soon as I see pins, and while it's early and I've only done shoeboxes and one mono, so far the results have been great.


--------------------
Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

Check out my Only Fans page


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Important - All Cultivators please read.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ThorA 43,978 103 05/31/05 03:35 AM
by Anno
* Small Fruits? cdchriscd 2,319 15 07/28/03 01:57 AM
by micro
* first cultivation, and procedure comparison u4ic_fx 1,460 9 05/11/03 09:40 PM
by micro
* whats the reason that fruits r thin and... MAGICSNOOP 806 6 07/24/03 03:45 PM
by kingkc
* Genetics daywalker 942 5 12/23/03 08:49 AM
by micro
* Bulk cultivation help WhoWhatWhen 1,579 11 08/07/03 08:39 AM
by micro
* fruiting abhi 603 7 10/15/03 06:51 PM
by dannycorona82
* substrate/fruiting chamber combo abhi 1,419 4 10/14/03 08:41 PM
by micro

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
760 topic views. 10 members, 123 guests and 94 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.