Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: Dr. Smoke]
    #29254513 -

Dr. Smoke said:
tryptkaloids said:
I agree that mushboy can be a dick, but ignoring people just because they disagree with you limits you more than them.
Quote:
You would do your own fucking tests with controls if you actually cared about science


why are you putting the onus on him to prove your point? Ill gladly do a side by side with tyvek envelopes, one upright, one upside down. I hypothesize theyll both colonize at similar rates. Any objections or alternate hypothesis?



The question is whether tyvek envelopes allow water only one way.  This is the primary benefit of tyvek in house wraps and in painting suits.

So any proof should be designed to test this.  I have no doubt that he and you have made lots of jars this way, of course you have but it is not optimal and is not not a test of the material.

I don't the have time nor inclination to engineer it for you, but the question is, does envelope tyvek block moisture migration one-way, both ways, or no ways.  And it has to be an honest test.  I know what the results will be but understand the importance of proofs, as long as they are rigorous.

Ignoring ppl I choose loses nothing for me, except abuse.  I block those who promulgate pollution here, and if I get banned for doing to, rest assured it will be the forum's loss.  I've already shown what I know but was attacked, which was a complete surprise given how this forum holds itself out to be and given Beef's core philosophies, but now I know, and I've radically reduced my attack surface.  The forum is poorer of advancement as a result.

We all operate in the environment as it is, not how we want it to be.



Dude, whatever you learned is wrong. I dont care the technical specs. Tyvek envelopes work. Ive used them. Ive seen others use them IRL. Ive seen them used countless times online.

Youve now got 4 TCs telling you they work from personal experience.


--------------------
Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: Dr. Smoke]
    #29254520 -

Why are we testing water permeability when we are using it as an air filter?

I wouldnt call what mushboy said abusive, rude maybe, but discourse is healthy.

You cant act like the forum itself, beef, mushboy or any other tcs, mods, or admins are on a united front, we all hold ourselves how we choose as individuals


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29254527 -

gentlemen, lend me your ear. unmodified lids.


--------------------
The fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29254538 -

tryptkaloids said:
Why are we testing water permeability when we are using it as an air filter?



Why?  Why?  Because the original question (callmehippie) was, 'why are my jars so wet?'

tryptkaloids said:
I wouldnt call what mushboy said abusive, rude maybe, but discourse is healthy.



We all make our own choices.


tryptkaloids said:
You cant act like the forum itself, beef, mushboy or any other tcs, mods, or admins are on a united front, we all hold ourselves how we choose as individuals



Granted, but one mod can ban me at any point for any reason.

I am saying I am not afraid of that and I am not afraid of Ignoring TCs like mushboy or StipenCap and blocking their PMs.

We all are supposed to respect each other, and those who don't I am happy to not hear from.

Big Stinkeroo Over.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: Dr. Smoke]
    #29254572 -

Dr. Smoke said:
tryptkaloids said:
Why are we testing water permeability when we are using it as an air filter?



Why?  Why?  Because the original question (callmehippie) was, 'why are my jars so wet?'





I think you're thinking of a different thread. Im just talking about these statements you made. 
Dr. Smoke said:
A tyvek envelope is not the right kind, unfortunately -- air-tight.  Tyvek coveralls for painting would work.  Or tyvek house covering. 

Put the inside, down.




--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29254588 -

I wouldn't doubt that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: Dr. Smoke]
    #29254601 -

Why would any mod ban you for any reason?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: phenyl]
    #29254610 -

phenyl said:
gentlemen, lend me your ear. unmodified lids.



Mites and wrapping the lids in parafilm is dumb.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: phenyl]
    #29254629 -

unmodified (by this I mean flipping the seal disk and loosening the fastening ring 1-2cm) is so hokey that it sounds like it shouldn't work but it simply does IME.  I've never lost an unmodified jar to contam.  a nice thing about this hobby is that there are a lot of ways to get to the same end goal so everyone can settle in on a process that they're comfortable with and that produces good results.  it would be less exciting if there was only a single way to do things and success/failure was binary.

the one knock I have on unmodified is that since you need to back that fastening ring off a bit to allow the seal disk to burp, you're somewhat at risk of accidentally opening the jar.  I've had this happen twice (once just being a bonehead and once when I dropped a crate of jars) but luckily both jars were fully colonized and didn't catch any cooties.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: dinosaurs] * 1
    #29254631 -

i never lost any to contam either until i lost everything because of mites.

unmodified certainly works and if you can use them with success go for it but ive been burned by them:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: mushboy]
    #29254632 -

how did that even happen?  that creeps me out. 

when I started, I squirted two jars with the same syringe - a modified jar with MP tape, and an unmodified with just a flipped seal.  the modified contam'd out, the unmodified didn't, and I never took it any further.  I expected the exact opposite results because of how stupid unmodified is on paper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: dinosaurs]
    #29254635 -

:shrug:

youll fist see them as irregular squiggly lines on the condensation of petri lids. its the last thing you would think of when noticing something so subtle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: mushboy]
    #29254657 -

TIL the real reason for wrapping petris - it seems that being so nonchalant about unmodded jar lids and bare plates is riskier behavior than I previously thought.

I will have to get unlazier and start fixing that. Don’t want anything to do with mites.

:nohellno:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29254659 -

tryptkaloids said:
I agree that mushboy can be a dick



i resent that:noway2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: mushboy]
    #29254666 -

:poke::haha::nyd::kickflip:

:hug:


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: tryptkaloids] * 2
    #29255170 -

tryptkaloids said:
Why are we testing water permeability when we are using it as an air filter?




Tyvek is semi-permeable for gases. That means air and humid air (vapor) can pass the membrane, but liquid water can‘t. And it works both ways, no matter which side is inside or outside.
You don‘t have to test that. That is already proven by multiple scientists and by dupont (the inventor of tyvek).


„Tyvek® is a 100% synthetic material made from high-density spunbound polyethylene fibers. Lightweight, durable and breathable, yet resistant to water, abrasion, bacterial penetration and aging, Tyvek® is an amazing material used to improve a variety of applications across multiple industries.

How does Tyvek® work?

Tyvek® is available in both a hard structure, used for HomeWrap envelopes and medical packaging applications, and a soft structure, fabric-like finish used for protective apparel and consumer applications. Discover how the science behind Tyvek® allows for superior performance across a range of applications.


Water-repellent

When the fibers in Tyvek® are spun and bonded under high heat and pressure, Tyvek® acts as a thermoplastic—returning to a high density, semi-solid state that prevents liquids from breaking the surface.

Breathability

Because no binders are used to hold Tyvek® together, tiny perforations remain in which allow water vapor to permeate the material while preventing water and other liquids from entering, making Tyvek® highly breathable.

Barrier protection

Tyvek® is made up of continuous fibers that provide inherent microbial penetration resistance—preventing hazardous materials including asbestos, mold, fiberglass and lead from passing through the material.“

Source: Dupont

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: mushboy]
    #29255250 -

mushboy said:
phenyl said:
gentlemen, lend me your ear. unmodified lids.



Mites and wrapping the lids in parafilm is dumb.



if you have a house infested with insects and you're okay with that you're mad nasty homes


--------------------
The fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: phenyl] * 1
    #29255340 -

:ohyeahwell:

you have demodex mites on your eye lashes right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: mushboy]
    #29255719 -

mushboy said:
:ohyeahwell:

you have demodex mites on your eye lashes right now.



yes we all know it's eyelash mites (which almost exclusively live on human skin) contaminating spawn and not mites associated with improperly stored grain. I've dealt with enough mites to know that the secret is keeping your grow clean and preventing cross contamination.


--------------------
The fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: synthetic filter disc [Re: phenyl] * 2
    #29256101 -

:mitebecool:


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Synthetic Filter Discs, Jar Preparation and Sterilization ShroomNoob03 8,082 5 09/08/05 11:09 AM
by FooMan
* what material are synthetic filter discs?
( 1 2 all )
Jeremy_Davis 11,008 23 06/22/05 07:40 PM
by Prisoner#1
* Use of synthetic filter discs kane.ish 1,752 3 11/05/07 09:08 AM
by kane.ish
* synthetic Filter Disc with Silicone rzaodb6 1,714 7 12/05/07 05:00 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Synthetic Filter Discs m0rb 2,314 4 05/09/03 05:34 AM
by si1988crx
* Synthetic filter discs. Dexter666 1,337 4 02/07/04 12:30 PM
by Bersilak
* Synthetic Filter Discs Sold at Ebay encryptor 1,280 2 03/08/05 03:43 PM
by Roadkill
* synthetic filter discs tonyperez420 1,058 9 02/07/06 09:11 AM
by FooMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
656 topic views. 20 members, 187 guests and 267 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.