Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1796 | 1797 | 1798 | 1799 | 1800 | 1801 | 1802 | 1803 | 1804 | 1805 | 1806 | 1807 | 1808 | 1809 | 1810 | 1811 | 1812 | 1813 | 1814 | 1815 | 1816 | | Last >
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Dkeppel] * 3
    #29121377 -

I pasteurize in a small bucket that sits inside my PC.



Set temp probe at 160f.


Run probe through PC lid.


Set temperature on my induction burner to 175f.


Once it hits 160f the probe alarm sounds, and I set the timer on the burner for 90 minutes.

More babysitting than an IP or rice cooker. But I could set the timer for 6 hours and just call it good.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 3
    #29121384 -

The water bath worked well. Every bag came up to temp and held there no prob. Feeling pretty confident that I can skip the probes next time. Seems like a foolproof setup.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Purrmes] * 1
    #29121386 -

That has me wondering though, are there any meaningful documented benefits to pasteurization vs sterilization of substrate for pan cyans? They don’t seem all that fussy or needy, so I’m not really sure what the extra microbes would do. Is it even worth trying to maintain them? Would there be a measurable difference in outcome if the pasteurization cycle time & temp was pushed into more of a kill everything zone?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Purrmes] * 2
    #29121388 -

Pasteurization allows for open air spawning.  Sterilized substrates should be spawned in sterile conditions.

Aside from that, my best runs have generally been on sterilized substrates (aio jars or bags for example).


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 1
    #29121389 -

It is nice, I will say, for my apartment to not smell like pressure cooked poo afterwards.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 4
    #29121391 -

Fundamentally speaking, I love babysitting.. cult would become dull and boring if i wasn't required to keep an eye (not leaving the house whatsoever) during the typical 6-hour session that takes a grain/substrate PC run (4 hours for agar/vials).

I can't imagine using my pc without supervising the cycle. Like, not at all unless i happened to fatally collapse from a stroke or some natural disaster, etc. That being said, strange things can happen like this one time in 22 years i passed out during a midnight agar run which was terrifying and unforgettable with very good reason. No more ambien after that. Fuck ambien :heart::heart:


--------------------
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 4
    #29121492 -

tree frog said:
I pasteurize in a small bucket that sits inside my PC.



Set temp probe at 160f.


Run probe through PC lid.


Set temperature on my induction burner to 175f.


Once it hits 160f the probe alarm sounds, and I set the timer on the burner for 90 minutes.

More babysitting than an IP or rice cooker. But I could set the timer for 6 hours and just call it good.




That is almost exactly what I do when I need to prep a lot of sub, only difference is I have the probe sitting in the water and run it for 10 hrs.

I did make a jacket for the presto from an old camping/yoga mat to reduce heat loss. Keeps the temperature nicely between 150 and 160F.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: astra] * 3
    #29121542 -

Yeah, the timer on the induction burner spoils me as far as babysitting.  I set my phone timer as I'm venting and getting it up to pressure, but once it's going I just set the timer on the burner and forget about it.

I like watching projects though :smile:  And spend a lot of extra time sifting poo and peat to get it how I like.  Maybe I should change my title to pan pamperer?

@baba,I built a big bulk pasteurizer using a heavy duty tote for straw buckets.  But it leaks heat like crazy.  If I decide to use it again, I'm buying insulation and covering it.  Someday I'd really like a proper bulk pastuerizer for gourmets.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog]
    #29121548 -

tree frog said:
Pasteurization allows for open air spawning.  Sterilized substrates should be spawned in sterile conditions.

Aside from that, my best runs have generally been on sterilized substrates (aio jars or bags for example).



Do you fill your tubs from the AIO jars infront of a FH? I was under the impression that since it's colonized you do it in open air.

As for babysitting, it's more a product of my work schedule than anything. It's rare for me to get more than 24 hours at home. During that time I have to get all my cult stuff done, shop/cook for the next week's work, and do laundry. I found that my Ninja takes at least 4 hours to get a bag of coir up to pasteurization temperatures, and the keep warm function automatically turns itself off somewhere around that point. I haven't tried starting with hot water. I might try that eventually.

Because of my schedule, I prefer a lot of my process to be set and forget as much as possible. The only thing that I actively monitor is a PC when it's running. It's just a personal preference.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 1
    #29121699 -

Oh...  Yeah as long as they colonize in sterile conditions it's fine to spawn them in open air.

Sorry for any confusion.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 5
    #29122311 -

Spawned a jar of bbar today to sub(s) of dried leaves (ph and pasteurized) and dried leaves + compost/straw.  Also made a casing with leaves and applied yesterday to other bbar trays. 

I hope they take to it.  Is anyone else using leaves as part of the sub or casing?  As far as adding texture, I like how it mixed with the compost/straw.  Just about as nicely as adding coir.  I didn't take any notes on water retention vs coir, but I'll try again if this works out ok.

Do cyans (or other pans) have any ph intolerance in a substrate?  Is ph adjusting a substrate necessary?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: stagger]
    #29122326 -

stagger said:
Do cyans (or other pans) have any ph intolerance in a substrate?  Is ph adjusting a substrate necessary?



Nah, they’re happy in the usual range.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Purrmes]
    #29122334 -

Trismeowgistus said:
stagger said:
Do cyans (or other pans) have any ph intolerance in a substrate?  Is ph adjusting a substrate necessary?



Nah, they’re happy in the usual range.



Thanks .....what is the usual range?  Neutral?  My substrate iswas well below that, should I be shooting for neutral?  Or nah, there's no reason to adjust the pH?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: stagger] * 2
    #29122650 -

My guess is mystery sa and bispo are more sensitive to high pH (over 8).  I shoot for 7.5 for all pans (anywhere between 7 and 8 is good).  Under 7 is more prone to contamination.

Plant pH (and leaf pH) varies.  I've used elm leaves for outdoor gourmet beds but nothing beyond that.

Cyans are so fast though.  I think if the leaves are between six and eight (which is likely, as water is 7 and we all depend on it) that it will work alright.

I know Mojave has top dressed cyans a few times and had good coverage when he did.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 1
    #29122699 -

Thanks tree frog. After hydrating, my pile (oak) was about ph 4.7... I use pickling lime and overshot my initial goal of 8, all the way up to above 10, but the pH dropped back to 7.8 by the next day.

These questions are probably best to try out and then answer them myself, but how quickly can I expect this 7.8 to drop back under 7?  Or 6? 5?  Is gypsum more useful in this regard?  Will the pH drop back to the 4.7 or will calcium hydroxide level out before that?

Sadly, this last jar was a bit questionable but sent anyways.  There's some clean plates on the horizon and grain jars are ready, so at the very least another try will only be pushed back another couple weeks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: stagger] * 4
    #29122746 -

I trust the second reading on my casing taken after pasteurization and cooling (so the 7.8 in your case).

Assuming it's not an anomaly (I take readings in multiple spots to be sure), that should stay pretty stable until the mycelium's metabolites start dropping it.

Calcium carbonate and gypsum, preferably together, can hold off that second drop.  But, cyans are so fast I wouldn't worry about it.

Nerd stuff:

This is in regards to pH stabilization in grains and the species is oyster mushrooms, but I imagine the mechanisms are quite similar in casings and in other species, based on observations of casing pH changes and best practices in agaricus sp.

Quote:
Both lime (calcium carbonate, not hydroxide) and gypsum act as a buffer for the mycelial expansion of oyster mushroom. Calcium from both of them oxidized the oxalic acid produced by the fungal mycelium.



https://juniperpublishers.com/aibm/pdf/AIBM.MS.ID.555871.pdf


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog] * 1
    #29123065 -



Trying to troubleshoot where I am going wrong with my fruiting process.
This is my first attempt, swab>agar>t1>grain> bulk all went smoothly. I think I am messing up once I case. Casing mix was jiffy seed starter that I pasteurized and cased the trays as they all came to 100%. I wet it down pretty good on day one and would mist every time it was no longer glistening, I'm thinking this is too much water.
I'm also thinking I made the cakes too thick initially. They are probably 2.75in with the casing layer. (1.5 inches is humongous in my brain :wink:

As for other conditions:
-Chamber itself is my old SAB with a few inches of water in the bottom, wire rack above, jcm style but a bit bigger than the original design.
-I have a small 10gal aquarium air pump trickling in air 24/7
-Big ass 1000gph pump comes on for 1.5 mins every 15mins to cycle in more dry air, but did not have operational until day 7, (it is connected to an arduino and I can program a better cycle for it).
- roughly 74f most of the time. It's cold as a witch pussy outside so this about as good as I can do for now.
-I also have a fogger on a humidity controller that keeps the tote between 85-90%rh

I got one pin at day 8 but no signs of any more today. I've got 4 more jars ready to spawn help me not fuck them up lol. I can also program the fogger to run off the cycle timer on the microcontroller board if this is more ideal than a rh sensor.


--------------------
Back when I was younger, I didn't have a clue, and come to think of it, I still doubt I do.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Blufuut180] * 1
    #29123165 -

How did you apply the casing?  It should be sprinkled on and leveled gently, rather than pushed down and compressed.

Try closer to mid 90s on rH.  I let mine fluctuate between 94 and 98.  Especially during pin formation you want it high.

The air pump can probably run 24/7.  It should supply humidity along with more fresh air.

Putting the ultrasonic on a timer is fine too.  Depending on your humidity controller it might be better, really.  As some don't work well above the low 90s.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog]
    #29123229 -

I probably tamped it down a bit, it looks compacted to me but I've also been misting it a lot. I would run the big pump all the time but I'm scared of my neighbors complaining as it's loud as hell and vibrates everything around it.

I'm going to add the mister to the microcontroller, the sensor is quite shit at high rh. Once it gets above 90 it gets saturated and doesn't like to come back on until I dry it out


--------------------
Back when I was younger, I didn't have a clue, and come to think of it, I still doubt I do.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Blufuut180] * 10
    #29123821 -



My wild cyanescens seems to be taking off! Those are from a Volcano in Veracruz. I was a bit concerned because it smelled so bad when the box was closed, now the smell is gone and I see good colonization.

Casing soon!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1796 | 1797 | 1798 | 1799 | 1800 | 1801 | 1802 | 1803 | 1804 | 1805 | 1806 | 1807 | 1808 | 1809 | 1810 | 1811 | 1812 | 1813 | 1814 | 1815 | 1816 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Official Psilocybe zapotecorum thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 88 89 )
Hindsight 81,397 1,760 09/30/26 08:41 PM
by bloodssonnew
* Mycogone perniciosa treatment LearyTheory 3,874 3 08/31/11 01:29 AM
by LearyTheory
* mycogone perniciosa Hammerloaf 4,270 2 07/06/02 05:26 PM
by Hammerloaf
* Mycogone aka wet bubble! successfully fruited.
( 1 2 all )
oontribe 12,140 26 02/21/18 04:28 AM
by OriginalGinger
* Is this mycogone? Help id contam pls. Wormi 1,347 9 07/09/16 09:01 AM
by Wormi
* Mycogone, Stroma, White mold? or is this healthy?! DunkinGonads 1,720 9 08/31/16 05:53 PM
by DunkinGonads
* Is this mycogone and what have I done. tombosley8 2,110 1 05/21/16 12:33 AM
by Mad Season
* Mycogone perniciosa aka Wet Bubble Q deep_throat 1,996 15 01/04/15 12:44 AM
by psilocybeMAN

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,304,130 topic views. 8 members, 65 guests and 169 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 18 queries.