Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1317 | 1318 | 1319 | 1320 | 1321 | 1322 | 1323 | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ambigu]
    #28940194 -

How would pouring your plates softer help with condensation?

Edited by DERRAYLD (09/09/24 07:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28940203 -

Thank you! Are you placing the lids on the Petri immediately after pouring or after they cool off a bit?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Letsfly24] * 4
    #28940228 -


"India Wood Lover" T1 on masters mix agar.


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Scemilope]
    #28940549 -

Hello! Noob here on my first time trying agar. Got some growth from golden teacher ms syringe in 1 out of 5 plates. Would love a more experienced opinion of it before doing my first transfer. How does it look? Is it even cube or am I growing a mold :confused:?
Thanks in advance!


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Radamanto]
    #28940572 -

Radamanto said:
Hello! Noob here on my first time trying agar. Got some growth from golden teacher ms syringe in 1 out of 5 plates. Would love a more experienced opinion of it before doing my first transfer. How does it look? Is it even cube or am I growing a mold :confused:?
Thanks in advance!





I wanna know too, bc I'm not great with this part yet, and I can't tell if that's mold or some thinly colonizing myc. I guess I'm still a bit blurry on what "healthy" myc growth is, aside from contamination. Everything says to transfer the best looking growth, and other than a sector that's outpacing the rest, I've just assumed "healthy growth" to be what looks most pronounced and thick. The stuff that clearly looks thicker when shining light through the backside? Idk...I was thinking the other day how we've got plenty of write ups on making agar and sterile technique, but I haven't seen a thorough write up on what is and isn't strong growing myc. I watch what others are advised to transfer, and it's usually now in line with what I would have predicted, but it's just run away sectors and that thicker, more robust growth. Maybe thats all there is to it and I'm overcomplicating it, but idk what I'd do with this plate. Maybe it would be more apparent if I had it in person...anyway...Im just following along bc I'm curious to see the advice you get here.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 1
    #28940766 -

That's part of the reason they used to preach transfer from the rhizo.
Since its easier to recognize and usually is outpacing/climbing the walls of the dish.

And yes back lit helps as well as looking from the back/bottom with light  shining through the agar .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Letsfly24] * 1
    #28940772 -

Letsfly24 said:
Thank you! Are you placing the lids on the Petri immediately after pouring or after they cool off a bit?



Lids only tilt up for a few seconds as I pour. Stacked unwrapped as long as I can in the SAB. Usually overnight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Radamanto]
    #28940773 -

Radamanto said:
Hello! Noob here on my first time trying agar. Got some growth from golden teacher ms syringe in 1 out of 5 plates. Would love a more experienced opinion of it before doing my first transfer. How does it look? Is it even cube or am I growing a mold :confused:?
Thanks in advance!






Hard to tell but if the other four plates have nothing (yet) it's possible to cube myc ... if your technique was on par.

Take a couple SMALL cuts from differ leading edges to their own plate . Flame in between each .

Even if mold you'll gain practice in the process as well as what to look for and the ways it grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD] * 4
    #28940782 -

DERRAYLD said:
How would pouring your plates softer help with condensation?



My hypothesis is that because the softer agar sets slower it is able to absorb some of the excess moisture as it sets and cools.

Its anecdotal but I have had less condensation 3x pouring since I started using 1.6% agar instead of 2% with no other changes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Radamanto]
    #28940986 -

Radamanto said:
Hello! Noob here on my first time trying agar. Got some growth from golden teacher ms syringe in 1 out of 5 plates. Would love a more experienced opinion of it before doing my first transfer. How does it look? Is it even cube or am I growing a mold :confused:?
Thanks in advance!





It’s too hard to say from the pictures. That’s very thin growth, so I wouldn’t trust it, but I’ve been wrong before. I would take transfers but keep the plates around to see if they turn any color.


--------------------
Mehhh



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Wall.E]
    #28941005 -

I tried the following punch for agar but it’s a pos and hard to operate in the moment. Anyone have a better punch source? Spring operated?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Radamanto]
    #28941012 -

Radamanto said:
Hello! Noob here on my first time trying agar. Got some growth from golden teacher ms syringe in 1 out of 5 plates. Would love a more experienced opinion of it before doing my first transfer. How does it look? Is it even cube or am I growing a mold :confused:?
Thanks in advance!





I think you're good. GT from ans syringe is not gonna be rhizo. That is thin and wispy but I'm gonna suggest that it is very firm agar which isn't great for germinating spores.

It looks like the agar is pink? And the mycelium is eating the color as it goes? It is also probably high nute agar. The myc travels slow because it has an abundance of food right where it's at. On low nute agar myc will usually travel fast and more rhizomorphic then start eating more, including the color after it is more established.

Transfer on to low nute agar if you can. That will also help get away from any bacteria that may be there but I think it's good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Letsfly24]
    #28941016 -

Letsfly24 said:
I tried the following punch for agar but it’s a pos and hard to operate in the moment. Anyone have a better punch source? Spring operated?





I've been making my agar softer and it is much easier to get samples just with a scalpel.

1.6% agar.

1.2% for germinating. Don't need any water or anything.

Can't help you with puch suggestion but hope that helps.

You have ACE Hardware near you or other small hardware stores. They have tons of chrome and stainless steel bolts and nuts and little tubes and stuff. Maybe something there?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28941033 -

Bigdogg said:
I've been making my agar softer and it is much easier to get samples just with a scalpel.

1.6% agar.

1.2% for germinating. Don't need any water or anything.




If your agar agar creates rubber gym flooring at 2% as you mentioned in another thread, I can imagine you need to use less agar agar to comfortably use a scalpel :grin: (although I must admit I never used one on a gym floor)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ambigu]
    #28941058 -

I bought 10 plates when I just started growing again and started agar work so I could get going right away.

While those weren't as hard as the stuff I made my first batch, they were harder than I make it now.

I prefer the softer agar. I would definitely recommend trying it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28941106 -

Bigdogg said:
DERRAYLD said:
How would pouring your plates softer help with condensation?



My hypothesis is that because the softer agar sets slower it is able to absorb some of the excess moisture as it sets and cools.

Its anecdotal but I have had less condensation 3x pouring since I started using 1.6% agar instead of 2% with no other changes.



Funny you say that, i had telephone rubber ball too and started pouring softer and seems like i didn't have as much, enough that i noticed. It breathes better.

I had been out since 2011 taking care of family and just getting back.


--------------------
Yours in the Natural State Land of Enchantment!

"Sometimes the only way for a man to find true happiness is to take drugs in a group" - Cochise

No makin funna my pomes!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Letsfly24]
    #28941117 -

Letsfly24 said:
I tried the following punch for agar but it’s a pos and hard to operate in the moment. Anyone have a better punch source? Spring operated?





Have you thought about adding a spring to the one you got?

I’m using a leather punch wire wrapped to a scalpel handle and so far I really like it, the punched agar circles seem to stay in place quite well and then I just pick them up with my scalpel




If you are looking for something spring loaded I saw a dude make a writeup for an olive stuffer mod agar punch, https://www.reddit.com/r/Agarporn/s/hcEoWKefRm


--------------------
𝕴𝖋 𝕴 π–π–†π–›π–Š π–˜π–Šπ–Šπ–“ π–‹π–šπ–—π–™π–π–Šπ–— π–Žπ–™ π–Žπ–˜ π–‡π–ž π–˜π–™π–†π–“π–‰π–Žπ–“π–Œ π–šπ–•π–”π–“ π–™π–π–Š π–˜π–π–”π–šπ–‘π–‰π–Šπ–—π–˜ 𝖔𝖋 π•²π–Žπ–†π–“π–™π–˜
:drugnerd: TekDeck        Autist Tally :laugh:

"Mother Mycelium, I wandered in the darkness of unmarked plates and forgotten codes. Enlighten me with clarity and discipline, that every jar and dish shall bear its true name."

"Luminous Logos, I faltered in my shorthand faith. Grant me the diligence to record in full, and the foresight to recall every meaning with certainty."

-Father LewDoja

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tri]
    #28941121 -

You shouldn't hover over your work.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #28941129 -

Wait what are we punching perfect circles in agar for? I feel like I missed something

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Polkahontass] * 7
    #28941131 -

Some people like the way the mycelium grows from a circular punch, it's just an extra unneeded step in my opinion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1317 | 1318 | 1319 | 1320 | 1321 | 1322 | 1323 | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 74 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 79 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,394 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,010 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,706 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,754 topic views. 10 members, 193 guests and 133 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.029 seconds on 18 queries.