Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why)
    #2887311 - 07/13/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Someone I dont really like is Neitzsche, I find some of his stuff interesting, but most of it is just STUPID (IMO), Nihilism, his thoughts on war etc.... funny  that such a little man would want to be so tough... Napolean comes to mind :smirk:

The weird thing is......while I dislike Neitzsche, I love Schopenhauer , a philosopher some would find quite similar, personally I find they are not as similar as it first appears.....yes both of them disliked women ,and were really sad, but Schopenhauer in general , is 10 times the Philosopher Neitszche was.  :thumbup:

Other then the hatred of women, I am alot like Schopenhauer  :smirk:

Schopenhauer, Spinoza, and Democritus are 3 of my fav's (I have others)  :thumbup:

Spinoza for his gentle reflection(plus I love the fact he was kicked out of his faith,and that he said that god deals with the order of the universe...not the petty dealings of man), Schopenhauer, for Will and Idea, and Democritus, for being years ahead of his time.
:thumbup:

"if we lose ouselves in the contemplation of the infinite greatness of the universe in space and time,meditate on the thousands of years that are past or to come,or if the heavens at night actually bring before our eyes innumerable worlds and so force upon our consciousness the immensity of the universe,
we feel ourselves dwindle to nothing;as individuals,as living bodies,as trasient phenomena of will,we feel ourselves pass away and vanish into nothing like drops in the ocean
but at once there rises against this ghost of our own nothing-ness,against such lying impossibility.the immediate consciousness that all these worlds exist only as our idea,only as modifications of the eternal subject of pure knowing,
which we find ourselves to be as soon as we forget our individuality,and which is the necessary supporter of al worlds and all times the condition of their possibility.the vastness of the worlds which disquieted us before,rests now in us;
our dependence upon it is annulled by its dependence upon us.all this,however,does not come at once into reflection,but shows it-self merely,as the felt consciousness that in some sense or other (which philosophy alone can explain) we are one with the world,and therefore not oppressed,but exalted by its immensity.---the world as idea " ------- Schopenhauer  :thumbup: :grin:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2887402 - 07/13/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

BUMP
(just trying to save my threads from the blackhole that is page 2 )

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2887412 - 07/13/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I can't relate to any philosphers, only my own philosophies.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: ld50negative1]
    #2887421 - 07/13/04 07:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with ld50,

...Needs more Buddha.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2887458 - 07/13/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know if you consider Siddhartha Guatama(aka Buddha) to be a philosopher, but he'd be my #1. Then I'd choose Nietzsche because of his views toward religion and John Locke because of his views on government.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: ld50negative1]
    #2887485 - 07/13/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

sure you cant :rolleyes:

Thanks SS7 I will admit Neitzsche isnt without any merit, but there is so much about him I dont like.

Its funny , I was reading a book called ..."the story of philosophy"(it was a run down of differnt philosophers, their lives , loves , ideas enemies etc)

Near the begining of the section on Neitzsche I like him,but the more I read the more I disliked Neitzsche.... anyone that writes off existence as , something foul ,that cant never be understood ,gets low marks from me. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2887498 - 07/13/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

1. JESUS

2. MIGUEL

3. JORGE

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2887503 - 07/13/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Theres  nothing cool about your large spaces :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2887512 - 07/13/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think the joke works as well without them.

Don't roll your eyes at me!

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Anonymous

#2887575 - 07/13/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i haven't read nearly enough philosophy to answer that one.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: ]
    #2887699 - 07/13/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah large spaces piss me off.

And buddha can definetly be called a philosopher.

And Neitchze was a brilliant fool who wasted his life in unnescessary sadness.

And who the hell is Jorge?

And i dont think i could name my three favourite philosophers, but i will name three OF my favourites.

lets see.... i know im gonna take flak for this one but: Castaneda!

Hmm... The Dalai Lama!

and uh... jesus christ!

keep in mind the definition of philosopher is "a lover of knowledge'

and im judging castaneda based on the benefits and enjoyment and stimulation his writings have given me, and nothing else.

:mushroom2:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: ]
    #2887709 - 07/13/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Good answer.  :thumbup: (Personally I cant help but fall in love with the works of the three I mentioned, but I am sure my opinions could change as I learn more....... I thouhgt I had read quite a bit until I found a long alphabetical listing of philosophers.)

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #2887745 - 07/13/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Oh i forgot the 'why' part

ok... castaneda because his ideas stretch my mind to the point where i feel like im on the verge of something phenomenol, something truly incredible. And also because his ideas have some very awesome practical aplications, such as improving your 'life efficiency', achieving bizarre concioussness states and giving a strong framework of courage and decisiveness on which to base your decisions.

I think castaneda's explanation of the warrior's way is one of the single most liberating and simple ideas ever: "when you make a decision, think on it, deliberate carefully. But once you have made a decision, proceed like a warrior, with no remorse or regret, aware that a billion more decisions still wait to be made." (paraphrased)

The dalai lama i chose because he is NOT all talk. He is NOT an armchair philosopher. He preaches universal love for all men and women, and he practices it. Even as the chinese murder his people, destroy their temples and persecute his faith, he returns all that violence with unconditional love. That is sublime. That is incredible. This man is like a living jesus.

And jesus i chose for more or less exactly the same reason. No one can ever say jesus was using his teachings for profit. He gave up EVERYTHING in his life for the sake of his message, which was to love one another. He did alot of good and brought alot of hope to a suffering people. And he always returned love for hate.

Again, i think the ability to forgive unconditionally is an amazing accomplishment. These people are so enlightend that to feel anger for the failings of another is ridiculous, unthinkable.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2887776 - 07/13/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

sartre, camus, marx (really an unfair question)

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2888072 - 07/13/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

lao tzu- taught me the value of balance, diversity, and flexibility, as well as the indefinable nature of the universe

Nietzsche- taught me realism

Crowley- taught me the power of will and the individual, also much kabbalistic knowledge... tables... correspondences... gematria... basically my introduction to western occultism

Ram dass - taught me compassion and the need for empathy and greater wisdom. Also introduced me to hindu mysticysm, which I have come to have a great respect for.

Einstien- taught me the true nature of the scientific method.

Carl Jung - taught me the importance of the dream world, and the underlying connection between all people. Introduced me to the intriguing concept of consensus reality.

Descartes- self fucking explanatory

Mark Twain- always succeeded in making me laugh with his ability to state the painfully obvious yet casually ignored.

Adolf Hitler- taught me the danger of hate and fear. enhanced my understanding of the dark side intrinsic to all humans, including myself.

Jefferson- because he held the purest ideals, and yet was willing to compromise them when the situation called for it (ie: the louisianna purchase, the public education system). If all libertarians were as flexible as Jefferson, I would support their cause a lot more.

Da Vinci- made me aware of the structure and form of things.

Pythagorus- got me thinking about the mathematical nature of the universe, or lack thereof.

Stephen Hawkings- who I believe was one of the first people to start proposing the idea of an infinite set of parallel universes known as the multiverse, which made perfect sense to me the first time I heard it.

Heisenberg- taught me about uncertainty

Godel- see heisenberg

Akhunaton- who I believe was the first person to propose the existence of one unified God

thats hella more than 3, but I couldnt bear to leave any one of them out, they are all so important to me. and there are at least a dozen others I just cant think of right now.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2888581 - 07/14/04 04:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Myself, I would have to say... Ped... Swami... Markos... Kaiowas... Trendal... Frog... Shroomism... in no particular order, and I'm forgetting a lot.... :laugh:

Honestly, basically everyone who posts in this forum. We make quite the philosophical team. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2888876 - 07/14/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I am a big fan of Rudolf Steiner. Goethe is cool, and was a contemporary and friend of Steiner's. I haven't read lots of his stuff, but what I have read I really liked. And Buddhism, which many consider to be a philosophy as well as a religion, has had a big influence on my life. I adore Thich Nhat Hanh.

Where are all the female philosophers?

You guys might find this interesting, Steiner on Nietzsche: http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA028/TSoML/GA028_c18.htm

He alone is great and happy who requires neither to command nor to obey in order to secure his being of some importance in the world.
~Goethe

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing.
~Goethe

People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.
~Thich Nhat Hanh

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2888905 - 07/14/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Im abit upset about all the Nietzsche bashing going on here.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineMithril
Among Other Things

Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2900694 - 07/17/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

1. David Hawkins - for getting me out of Cartesian doubt, and telling me who I am
2. Terence McKenna - for giving me the courage to take more and delve deeper and deeper
3. Hannah Arendt - for explaining to me why everything is so fucked up. Her book "The Human Condition" is a point of view on today's world, from the vantage point of Ancient Greece.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Who' s on your philosophy "dream team"??(name 3 and why) [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2900724 - 07/17/04 07:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Where are all the female philosophers?

Women are generally not as interested (curiosity-driven) in the BIG questions and/or not as dissatisfied with their non-material lives as men.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder