Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLakefingers
Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED*
    #10698105 - 07/18/09 05:13 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: Reason enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: Lakefingers]
    #10698116 - 07/18/09 05:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The world exists independent of a viewer, but then who could make such an assertion? Are we viewing the 'real' world? Our view is as 'real' as any others.

Does an ant or an eagle also view the 'real' world? Of course, but their view is highly different than ours, but all of us creatures are still able to navigate around/over the same objects even though they are perceived differently.

There is no ultimate nor true view of the world. Not sure if I am directly addressing your point though...

--------------------

InvisibleExistence
Stranger

Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10698273 - 07/18/09 07:09 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Not sure if I am directly addressing your point though...

:facepalm:

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED* [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10698278 - 07/18/09 07:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Reason for deletion: Reason enough.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10698344 - 07/18/09 07:35 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Going off on a slight tangent, if you can find the book "Crashing Through" give it a read. (Did a thread on the book.) The author regained eyesight after 40+ years due to stem cells. Though his sight was fine after the operation, the visual cortex had already been used for other things and so he would never 'see' things as you or I do. Driving was forever out of his reach as he could not understand depth or shadows. Even after two years of being sighted, he could not recognize his own wife nor many other things commonplace to him. He had to teach himself other cues. Very interesting stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED* [Re: Lakefingers]
    #10698751 - 07/18/09 10:06 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10699526 - 07/18/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have done another thread on why it may be forever impossible for us to communicate with intelligent aliens (if we meet them). Frame of reference, biology, and natural communication method may preclude it even if both species tried very hard to bridge the gap. The idea that mathematics may be the cue is likely yet another faulty human assumption.

As a terran example, cuttlefish are thought to be highly intelligent, but they communicate with complicated and changing patterns of light for which we have no analog.

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (07/18/09 02:09 PM)

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED* [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10699619 - 07/18/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleDieCommie

#10699649 - 07/18/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Comes down to how you (arbitrarily) define intelligence.

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED* [Re: DieCommie]
    #10699674 - 07/18/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10699681 - 07/18/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

How can you say that light patterns are not a language?

We see in parallel and communicate verbally and in text in a serial fashion. Cuttlefish see and communicate in parallel.

The man that regained his sight processed his vision serially which is why he could not recognize his wife.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#10699683 - 07/18/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, there is some non-relative definition of intelligence inherent to the universe?  Id love to learn about it.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: DieCommie]
    #10699703 - 07/18/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

For the sake of this discussion, I would say that any species capable of leaving their home planet through technology would qualify. The inverse would not mean that those incapable or uninterested in doing so would not be intelligent.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Schopenhauer' [Re: Lakefingers]
    #10699734 - 07/18/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Had a response, but just see my second one.

Here is Nietzsche anyway:

Quote:

There are still harmless self-observers who believe that there are "immediate certainties"; for example, "I think," or as the superstition of Schopenhauer put it, "I will"; as though knowledge here got hold of its object purely and nakedly as "the thing in it self" without any falsification on the part of either the subject or the object. But that "immediate certainty," as well as "absolute knowledge" and the "thing in itself," involve a contradictio adjecto. I shall repeat a hundred times; we really ought to free our selves from the seduction of words!

Let the people suppose that knowledge means knowing things entirely; the philosopher must say to himself: When I analyze the process that is expressed in the sentence, "I think," I find a whole series of daring assertions that would be difficult, perhaps impossible, to prove; for example, that it is I who think, that there must necessarily be something that thinks, that thinking is an activity and operation on the part of a being who is thought of as a cause, that there is an "ego," and, finally, that it is already determined what is to be designated by thinking - that I know what thinking is. For if I had not already decided within myself what it is, by what standard could I determine whether that which is just happening is not perhaps "willing" or "feeling"? In short, the assertion "I think" assumes that I compare my state at the present moment with other states of myself which I know, in order to determine what it is; on account of this retrospective connection with further "knowledge," it has, at any rate, no immediate certainty for me.

In place of the "immediate certainty" in which the people may believe in the case at hand, the philosopher thus finds a series of metaphysical questions presented to him, truly searching questions of the intellect; to wit: "From where do I get the concept of thing? Why do I believe in cause and effect? What gives me the right to speak of an ego, and even of an ego as cause, and finally ego as the cause of thought?" Whoever ventures to answer the metaphysical questions at once by an appeal to a sort of intuitive perception, like the person who says, "I think, and know that at least, is true, actual, and certain" - will encounter a smile and two question marks from a philosopher nowadays. "Sir," the philosopher will perhaps give him to understand, "it is improbable that you are not mistaken; but why insist on the truth?"

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (07/18/09 09:55 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10699759 - 07/18/09 02:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ahhh - remove the ambiguity of 'intelligence' by shifting it to ambiguity of 'technology'.  But yea, its fine for the sake of discussion.  Cant discuss without some agreed upon definitions.

Like obscenity it cant be defined, but some people know it when they see it.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: DieCommie]
    #10699818 - 07/18/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

First we must establish an unambiguous definition of 'ambiguity'... :grin:

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#10699939 - 07/18/09 03:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Does Schopenhauer's argument work? Is there a difference between 'imagining an objective world without a knowing subject' and 'awareness that we imagine an objective world without a subject'?

There is a difference, yes.
Awareness seems to insinuate a layer of thought placed on top of the existing material. What that material is made up of seems arbitrary, because we may never know with any certainty.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#10700158 - 07/18/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Schopenhauer is trying to say that you are a subject and everything you experience that is not subject is the outside world re-presented to you through the lens of your own senses.  You cannot imagine a purely objective world because the imagination becomes an object for you as subject, and you have simply reaffirmed the place of subject in the world through the exercise of attempting to imagine pure objectivity.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: Schopenhauer's metaphysics [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #10700166 - 07/18/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I will also add that I love Schope and was thinking about him earlier this afternoon and how I would like to read WWR again just for fun.

:heart:

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #10701009 - 07/18/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Does Schopenhauer's argument work? Is there a difference between 'imagining an objective world without a knowing subject' and 'awareness that we imagine an objective world without a subject'?

I would say he is flitting between practical deconstruction and nihilism.

To that, his argument does not convince IMO. Immanence of being as ultimately grounded and unified in a situation of the will (as in the brain), entails a process of reasoning that "journeys" from a situation, to an implied proposition (i.e. situational), and finally to the convenient metaphysical expression of its entirety, which would in sum process be philosophical suicide.

He calls attention to a medium to at the very most surrender its rhetorical premise: This will is only so firmly situated or unified by its complete surrender to "nature". I'm not saying that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is what it is. Compare this will that is reduced and surrendered to "situation", to the will of Nietzsche, which is founded instead on certain irreconcilable contrast between man and nature. That is natural, the will - to power.

Decypher recently asked a question in another thread; "why be moral", to which I believe the only sensible response is "why ask?"  Is it assumed that when nobody is able to answer the question, that a failed attempt at morality justifies an alternative? It would seem that any alternative "conclusion" is not preceded by such a question or method of reasoning, because it can only so reasonably contradict itself. So it is assumed in these and similar processions that the premise is at some point surrendered.

So a practical question; do you stay in shape? What motivates you in the absurd fight? Do you go out each morning to surrender yourself to the material conditions, or are you indescribably rebelling against them?

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (07/19/09 01:03 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order