Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Neocon Sycophants
    #2761489 - 06/03/04 11:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Beware -- LONG FUCKING RANT AHEAD!!

So I'm taking this criminal justice class and the teacher announces right away a couple of things. 1) You will hear things that might offend you, tough shit, drop the class if it bothers you 2) That she is a staunch Liberal.

So I'm thinking this class is gonna be at least interesting, if not down right cool. So far it fucking rocks. Anyway, at the break one of those no-necked beefeater bouncer types (even wearing a tight shirt with "STAFF" emblazoned on the front) goes up to the prof and asks her what she means by being a "Liberal". She explained it as more of an attitude or mindset, not really a political agenda and to his credit the guy seemed to accept this with some amount of equanimity.

I had been nearby listening to this conversation because I was interested in both the prof's answer and the guy's response. So me and him go outside and get to talking and he right away is up front about how he's a far right-wing republican. I tell him that I consider myself a moderate liberal on most issues and don't necessarily identify strongly with either major political party.

So naturally we start discussing politics and current events. I talk about how I don't like the war in Iraq, how I consider it to have been mis-represented and largely unnecessary and that the cost so far, both in human life (on both sides) and monetarily are way too high. Of course he starts about how Saddam tortured and abuse people and was behind 9/11 and has WMD etc. So I tell him that no in fact, Al Qaeda and Iraq are in no way linked and that the only sign of WMD are a few unexploded shells containing deteriorated serin which has retained almost none of if it's efficacy as a WMD. I also point out Abu Ghraib and the widespread abuse that went on there.

His response? What do you think? Basically that it wasn't the same and that it wasn't torture. So I cited specific abuses as captured on film, such as having animals sicced on the prisoners, sexual degredation, the physical abuse, the thing with the prisoner who had to stand there in the shroud with wires attached to him with the guards telling him they're going to fry his ass. This neocon puppet just said that Saddam was still way worse and you can't compare the two things. Ugh. Rationalizing degrees of torture is simply anathema to me.

So we move on. I bring up how I don't identify or feel comfortable with Bush's fundamentalist religious interests and what not. So this guy goes off on how the country was founded "Under God" blah blah blah. So I bring up the fact that most of the founding fathers were secular humanists.. this guy just bulls through that and calls it a lie. Whatever, so then I ask, "Which God?" to which he replies, "What do you mean, WHICH GOD?". Whoa there jesus-freak. I can't wait to wear my "WWJD for a klondike bar" shirt to class.

Then another hot-button issue pops up. Gay marriage. I brought it up in the context that I view that as a religious agenda of Bush's and I simply do not support that. So this asshat goes on to say how you can't redefine marriage, blah blah, how he couldn't just redefine the meaning of a tree. So I asked him if he supports taking away/withholding the rights of his fellow citizens based solely on the religious beliefs of some group of people. In as many words, his response was that yes he did.

At this point we damn near had a crowd and the break was over. I really regret forgetting to bring up the interracial marriage arguement, about how 50yrs ago blacks & whites couldn't marry each other and how is that any different from today when people of the same sex can't marry? Alas I was kinda heated up at that point and like I said, the break was over. Oh one more thing though, when he brought up the definition of marriage he said it's not in the dictionary. I know for a FACT that gay marriage is included in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and I told him as much. His response? No, you're WRONG.

How can people be so ignorant, so uncaring, so hateful and so convinced of their own superiority? After a minute or two in class I felt like saying to the guy afterwards something like, "Well despite disagreeing I think it's important for our society to have people with divergent view in hopes of a fair compromise." Then I realised that no, I don't really believe that. Far right-wing conservative ideals are more harmful to a society (in my opinion) than their left-wing counter-part. Unfortunately the conservative party has a lot of money, power and a distinct lack of scruples.

Ugh!

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Neocon Sycophants [Re: unbeliever]
    #2761553 - 06/03/04 11:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know why all conservatives are painted as 'right-wing idiots'. That is just silly. Both sides have bonafide intellectuals. Of the two parties, I see more and more a bunch of liberals with elitest attitudes such as yourself who claim intellectual superiority. Which is it, are you the part of the common man, or the party of enlightened intellectual? And we have sycophants on both sides, and you just might be one of them.

As for your own tired sycophant arguments about the WMD, I will just copy and paste from another post of mine, since I don't want to trouble myself with typing again...

As for WMD, they have already been found. For anyone to say that no WMD has been found is a boldfaced lie. The editor of the LA Times thinks that Fox News is brainwashing the country because a high number of viewers believe that WMD have been found in Iraq. I wonder what facts he is looking at.

Look a little closer at the report by David Kay. This is the report often cited by liberals as proof of no WMD in Iraq...

-- chemical and biological weapons systems, plans, "recipes" and equipment, all of which could have resumed production on a moment's notice with Saddam's approval;

-- reference strains of a wide variety of biological-weapons agents (found in the home of a prominent Iraqi biological warfare scientist);

-- new research on brucella and Congo-Crimean hemorrhagic fever, and continuing work on ricin and aflatoxin;

-- a prison laboratory complex for testing biological weapons on humans;

-- long-range missiles (prohibited by United Nations resolutions) suitable for delivering WMDs;

-- documents showing Saddam tried to obtain long-range ballistic missiles from North Korea;

-- facilities for manufacturing fuel propellant useful only for prohibited Scud-variant missiles.

A big portion of this was found at the Salman Pak complex.

Face reality, I think that I could hide enough biological toxins to wipe out LA in any American city without fear of them ever being found. As far as chemical weapons go, they are unstable. It is a waste of resources to stockpile these weapons because they deteriorate over time. That is why in some of these advanced shells the chemicals were separated and only worked to fuse together when activated. The only thing that you need to keep is the facilities to manufacture them quickly and an inventory of the precursor chemicals that can be used to manufacture them.

Here is a great article about the Kay findings. Be cautioned though, it is written by a conservative (and I bet he is one of them Jew boys!). And we all know that conservatives really like to worship Satan and eat minority Children (taste just like chicken).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A6320-2003Oct9?language=printer

That professor was correct when he said the WMD have been found in Iraq. That shouldn't make him a liberal or a conservative, that should simply make him correct. Quit ignoring the facts and face reality.

And another fact that we should also face is that if we stumble on 100 or 100,000 of the type of chemical shell that has already been used against us, it won't end the partisan bickering. People will just switch the argument to something else. The no WMD argument is the lamest thing going. Put that tired little tantrum to rest.

The truth will set you free, and that freedom will taste just like chicken. May God Bless America.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Neocon Sycophants [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2761687 - 06/03/04 11:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, ya sure took the thread way off-topic. I'd love to get into a debate about the war in Iraq, I suggest you start a new thread about it, or if there is already one extant, pass me the link.

Back on topic however let me expound upon the feeling behind my post. I was raised mormon and in a very republican family. It took a long time to get to the point where I didn't consider myself as just voicing my parent's opinions or echoing their beliefs. Currently I do not consider myself a Christian and I am most definitely not right-winged or conservative on most issues. As I stated I consider myself mostly a moderate liberal. The problem is, in the last 50 years or so while some people (like myself, though of course only recently, I'm not that old) have been moving slightly left the country on a whole and especially the politicians have shifted to the right. So what I personally consider moderately liberal seems like a rabid left-wing looney in comparison to say, George Bush.

It's interesting in fact, if you're familiar with the Political Compass, you should check out their "ranking" of the 2004 Presidential Primary canidates. The only two who actually fell into "liberal" territory were Sharpton and Kucinich. The rest are only "left" in comparison to Bush, and several of them weren't even that far away. Anyway that's just a point to consider.

When I think about what being a conservative means, what comes to mind is an ideology of maintaining the status quo. This isn't inheirantly a bad thing, unless you don't believe in the status quo. I do not believe in or support MANY things that are currently institutionalised in our society. Namely the "war on drugs", gay marriage, tax laws, lax evironmental legislation and enforcement, systemic corporate corruption, special interest groups, the broken-spirited education system just to name a few. So, I can not consider myself a conservative in the sense of maintaining the status quo.

Other aspects of the current conservative (republican) party in America include the fundamentalist christians' gloming onto the party and getting their canidates into office. I don't disagree with their right to vote for whomever they like but fundamentalist groups of ANY religious are morally repugnant to me. Extremism is not the answer to any problem, that is my firm opinion. I consider Bush beholden to that particular special interest group in many ways and that's one of the several reasons why I will not vote for him this November.

There is also the "pro-war" facet of the conservative base. Bush also represents these types. In his own words he is a "war president". Being that I am firmly against all but the most defensibly necessary wars I simply can not identify or support this position either.

I remember hearing some comedian or maybe radio DJ or television pundit or something, I forget who, but anyway they pointed out that it's funny how conservatives have to usually specifically label themselves as "compassionate conservatives" in order to stand out amongst the crowd of their party. While I don't think this is any kind of searing point to win any arguements I think there is a flavor of truth to be tasted in that statement.

The republican party has a large group of (usually affluent) people who believe in the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" idea. To me this is a very callous thing, both personally and socially speaking. It's a cop-out on compassion and understanding. Trickle down economics reflects this as does the self-protecting dogma of tax-breaks and corporate corruption. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's trickle down economics, thank you very much.

Basically where I'm going with all this is that I do not view the general mindset and attitude of the conservative party on a whole to be one that is compassionate, inclusive or socially responsible. To me the most important ideals a person can live up to are doing all you can to be both personally and socially responsible. In fact I think one can easily come from the other and if you look at almost any problem or situation, apply that ideal will almost always win out as the best course to follow.

Unfortunately like I have found in many places, conservatives also do not like to let anything threaten their preconceived notions of how the world does and should work. Hence you get arguements like, "No, you're wrong" and you get attacks on character, you get condescension. Just more anecdotal evidence as to why I do not align myself with hardly any of the republican/conservative ideals.

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2761779 - 06/04/04 12:16 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jesus-freak

Quote:

asshat       

It's no wonder why nobody likes liberals.  Their only defense lies in bad name calling and pointless rants about how someone disagreed with their twisted view of what we thinking people call reality. :smirk:

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Neocon Sycophants [Re: Stein]
    #2761790 - 06/04/04 12:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
Quote:

jesus-freak

Quote:

asshat       

It's no wonder why nobody likes liberals.  Their only defense lies in bad name calling and pointless rants about how someone disagreed with their twisted view of what we thinking people call reality. :smirk:

If ALL you took from my two posts in this thread are those two insults then you need to beef up on your critical reading skills a bit son. Unfortunately I think you're just looking to straw-man my entire arguement. Which is fine, but guess what? It makes you an ASSHAT!

:smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2761800 - 06/04/04 12:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
It makes you an ASSHAT!

Thanks for proving my point. :laugh::thumbup:

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2761811 - 06/04/04 12:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
Quote:

unbeliever said:
It makes you an ASSHAT!

Thanks for proving my point. :laugh::thumbup:

Your sarcasm and irony nodes are broken. You should get them repaired. Feel free to contribute anything worthwhile to the thread if you can though, I'll be glad to reply to anything of substance (and apparently any thing else as well).

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2761813 - 06/04/04 12:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Didn't mean to take the thing off topic. I just took umbridge to the whole 'idiot right winger' sterotype that is so popular among those on the left. And my diatribe on the WMD was only to counter your claim that it doesn't exist. It was the only thing that you cared to put in boldface in your post. It seems like the eternal truth to you, as you descend from on high to try to educate that right wing slack jawed yokel. Guess what, you don't know what you were talking about. It is funny that you can repeat that tired tripe and then call other people sycophants.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2761828 - 06/04/04 12:29 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
Feel free to contribute anything worthwhile to the thread if you can though, I'll be glad to reply to anything of substance (and apparently any thing else as well).

Nah thats ok, I'll just enjoy the fact that it burns you up inside that I won't even bother to comment on the rest of your worthless drivel. :wink:

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2761843 - 06/04/04 12:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
Didn't mean to take the thing off topic. I just took umbridge to the whole 'idiot right winger' sterotype that is so popular among those on the left. And my diatribe on the WMD was only to counter your claim that it doesn't exist. It was the only thing that you cared to put in boldface in your post. It seems like the eternal truth to you, as you descend from on high to try to educate that right wing slack jawed yokel. Guess what, you don't know what you were talking about. It is funny that you can repeat that tired tripe and then call other people sycophants.

They found a couple shells containing old, deteriorated sarin not capable of being applied as a WMD. Tell me again how that means that Iraq has stockpiles of WMD? In fact many educated opinions indicate that these shells pre-date the 1991 Gulf War. If you are justifying your support of the war on the premise of WMD's then I guess you really need to clutch at any morsel you can find. So far though that's all it is, a morsel which does not prove anything (either way).

As for the stereo-type I honestly do not believe that all right-wing types are "idiots" or anything of that nature. There are many intelligent people in the republican party. John McCain for example, I would vote for him as Pres or VP in a heartbeat because he's got integrity (now heh) and really stirs up the pot and in my opinion believes in personal and social responsibility. Also understand that this post was just a RANT about one individual I ran into who pissed me off and basically embodied all the negative and extreme aspects of the conservative party that I find abhorrent. So yes in this rant there were some generalizations and insults, big deal. I think my follow-up reply covered the general feeling behind my frustration at the individual in my class.

*shrug*

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2761848 - 06/04/04 12:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
Quote:

unbeliever said:
Feel free to contribute anything worthwhile to the thread if you can though, I'll be glad to reply to anything of substance (and apparently any thing else as well).

Nah thats ok, I'll just enjoy the fact that it burns you up inside that I won't even bother to comment on the rest of your worthless drivel. :wink:

Could be! You'll never know! :wink:

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2761875 - 06/04/04 12:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It wasn't just the shells that they found. I put it in my post. I never claimed they found huge stockpiles of chemical weapons. As you so clearly note, chemical weapons degrade over time, so it would be senseless to have any lying around. According to the Kay report, they found:

-- chemical and biological weapons systems, plans, "recipes" and equipment, all of which could have resumed production on a moment's notice with Saddam's approval;

-- reference strains of a wide variety of biological-weapons agents (found in the home of a prominent Iraqi biological warfare scientist);

-- new research on brucella and Congo-Crimean hemorrhagic fever, and continuing work on ricin and aflatoxin;

-- long-range missiles (prohibited by United Nations resolutions) suitable for delivering WMDs;

-- documents showing Saddam tried to obtain long-range ballistic missiles from North Korea;

-- facilities for manufacturing fuel propellant useful only for prohibited Scud-variant missiles.

I think that these finding alone showed that Sadaam kept his capabilities despite UN Mandates, and he continued to work on bettering his biological agents. Just the live strains in one biological warfare scientists fridge would be enough to wreak havoc if put in the wrong hands. Guess what, Sadaam's hands were the wrong hands.

To quote from the article I have linked above:

"The fact that Hussein may have decided to go from building up stocks to maintaining clandestine production facilities (may have: remember, Kay still has 120 depots to go through) does not mean that he got out of the WMD business. Otherwise, by that logic, one would have to say that until the very moment at which the plutonium from its 8,000 processed fuel rods is wedded to waiting nuclear devices, North Korea does not have a nuclear program."

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2761892 - 06/04/04 12:52 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

stop ruining the thread by quoting a bunch of info over and over in multiple threads.

as such, i will repeat myself: they did not find weapons that could cause mass destruction. they found weapons that COULD HAVE caused mass destruction IN THE PAST.

once again, you'll notice that the bush administration is not even trying to use this information as his approval rating plummets.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Neocon Sycophants [Re: Tao]
    #2761902 - 06/04/04 12:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
stop ruining the thread by quoting a bunch of info over and over in multiple threads.

as such, i will repeat myself: they did not find weapons that could cause mass destruction. they found weapons that COULD HAVE caused mass destruction IN THE PAST.

once again, you'll notice that the bush administration is not even trying to use this information as his approval rating plummets.

Exactly. (emphasis mine)

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2761937 - 06/04/04 01:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Those reference strains for biological weapons were somehow outdated? That is news to me! Brucella and Congo-Crimean hemorrhagic fever, and continuing work on ricin and aflatoxin are not weapons of mass distruction? What are they then? Could you enlighten me?

These things weren't found in a dung heap, they were active and ongoing.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2761954 - 06/04/04 01:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

And if a chemical weapon was already made, you brand it as deteriorating and not much use. But if a clandestine operation exists to manufacture them exists at any point in time, you think that is no big deal.

Sadaam wasn't supposed to have those programs and he did. He wasn't supposed to have chemical and biological weapons systems. He did, and we found them. It is in the Kay report. He wasn't supposed to have reference strains for biological agents, and he did. He was actualy had continuing and ongoing research into them, and we found that too. And he also continued to manufacture the delivery systems (the missles), despite the UN Mandate.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2761983 - 06/04/04 01:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Fine.

Quote:

Source? Also, "all of which could have resumed production on a moment's notice" is an extremely subjective statement. Assume your neighbor has bags of fertalizer in his garage, even assuming he's a violent felon that doesn't automatically mean he's going to go blow something up.

Again I'd like a source. Assuming for the moment that it's true, this is something the UN/US inspectors could have found if they weren't hamstrung and then ignored.

By who exactly? What kind of work? Was it applied towards the production of WMD?

There is proof that this is the intented (and actualized) use of this facility?

Functioning? In any quantity? Why weren't they use before/during the war?

Did he obtain them? Why is it okay for Korea to have them in the first place?

Useful only for that purpose as determined by who? Were the facilities actively manufacturing the propellant or were they merely capable of doing so? Did they have any other potential or actual use?

Get back to me on those questions. Also you do realise that countries all over the world do those exact same things and yet they're not being bombed/invaded. Bush was finishing daddy's war and grabbing some cheap oil. Remember that oil? The stuff that was supposed to pay for most of the costs of the war and the reconstruction? Ooops I guess it's not working out that way, several hundred billions of dollars of U.S. tax-payer's money later.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2762017 - 06/04/04 01:46 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You guys didn't even discuss abortion?

Wtf?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2762047 - 06/04/04 02:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

How can people be so ignorant, so uncaring, so hateful and so convinced of their own superiority? After a minute or two in class I felt like saying to the guy afterwards something like, "Well despite disagreeing I think it's important for our society to have people with divergent view in hopes of a fair compromise." Then I realised that no, I don't really believe that. Far right-wing conservative ideals are more harmful to a society (in my opinion) than their left-wing counter-part. Unfortunately the conservative party has a lot of money, power and a distinct lack of scruples.

:thumbup:

I can't see the responses you've got so far in this thread going much way to proving you wrong either  :laugh:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Neocon Sycophants [Re: Zahid]
    #2762063 - 06/04/04 02:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
You guys didn't even discuss abortion?

Wtf?

No, but it's funny you mention it. That same night on my way home, coming out of the college parking lot was a pickup truck with all kinds of stickers on it. Several were just band stickers, the only one of which I remember was MXPX (I think they're punk?). The rest were anti-abortion stickers, and they weren't very friendly ones either. In your face stuff like, "Abortion is a HATE CRIME" and "ABORTION IS MURDER" and stuff like that. I'm guessing the drivers was one of those hypocritical sXe types, but *shrug*.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion