Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I'm reasonably sure that I isolated pure mycelium. I took some vigorous rhizomorphic threads, blended them up in a peroxide solution, then injected into grain. Several jars contaminated, but I finally got down to three that colonized for about a month or so with no visible contams. From there, I've made more grain and then mycelium syringes and grain transfers to all the varieties of wood I mentioned.
Interestingly, I kept the wild mycelium in a plastic bin outside, supplementing it with cardboard and paper bag material. It took to that reasonably well, albeit slowly. Introduced to cardboard indoors, I got Trich. That might say something about the nature of my indoor air right there.
Though I have Stamets' TMC, I haven't read about such radical sterilization of wood as 4-5 hours 15 psi. Pages 110-111 recommend fresh alder, outside bed, no sterilizing. Natural competitor selectivity clearly plays a role here, and might be worth trying.
In all the failures, there is a single jar left: PF-style cake of pet shop Aspen wood and bran. Been going for three weeks, no contams yet. I cross my fingers every day for it. What would you recommend to be the next step I take with that? Try a cardboard transfer outside? Alder again after 5 hours PC? I have some colonized agar in the fridge, so I'll always have something to fall back on, but I am starting to dislike this whole falling business.
Your post and your assistance are appreciated. Thanks for responding.
My TMC is with a friend, but my old GGMM [1st ed?] talks about it on page 167. Of course 4-5 hrs @ 15 PSI is the recommendation for indoor, supplemented woodchips. 2-3 if unsupplemented.
You might just have a randomly high contam spore count.
From agar onto molasses-supplemented chips, I see renewed growth within 2 days. Last batch was simmered for about 3 hours, then PC'd ~10 PSI, 2 hrs.
One other trick that helped me once with a cyanescens transplant--I had only a couple of colonized chips, placed them within new chips and covered loosely with soil. Kept the container outdoors and misted/moist. I think it colonized quicker than it would have if it were woodchips alone.
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, bodhisatta 744 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]