Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery
cardboard replacement for agar?
    #470608 - 11/26/01 10:31 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

does anyone have any info concerning cardboard as a replacement for agar? there was some discussion about cardboard as a substrate back months(dd) ago but i never did hear final words? comments anyone?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesylo
addict
Re: cardboard replacement for agar? [Re: Imorph]
    #470868 - 11/27/01 03:30 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I have tried using cardboard as an agar substitute with mixed results. Some of my attempts were promising and I intend to try again when I get the chance. Cardboard by itself has too little nutrient value to serve as a good medium even for wood lovers. I tried germinating spores on pasteurized cardboard and the spores germinated but never grew to be more than tiny white dots. I also tried soaking cardboard in water and inoculating the unsterilized cardboard with azurescens colonized grain and incubating the cardboard in zip-loc bags. The cardboard colonized nicely with thick rhizomorphic growth but the growth would stall after about two weeks. One tek I read about but have yet to try uses small amounts of liquid medium in glass jars. Pieces of cardboard are shaped into cones and placed in the jars so the bottom of the cardboard wicks up the liquid. After the jars are sterilized, the cardboard cones are inoculated just as you would agar. This tek sounds promising. I have found that if you add a small amount of cream of tartar (about 1/4 tsp per liter) to a liquid medium it makes the medium easy to sterilize (you don't need a pressure cooker) and the medium will grow mycelium but it is resistant to bacterial contams. Cream of tartar and agar do not combine well because the agar breaks down during sterilization but this should not be a problem with cardboard. I hope to try this some day with the cone tek.

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #471116 - 11/27/01 12:55 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

extra ordinary...your are taking notes and doing your home work and are A.U.s ahead. you mean a shrimp dip is possibly implicated in the make up a hopefully "species specific" growth/germination medium(S.Pollock ???). well now let me think...maybe in the future i ll get my big science friend to try ah potassium sorbate??? aka shrimp dip as a part of morels spore germination/growth medium...you know maybe...a few more components and it will be an effective alternative to wide spectrumed meat err...malt and potatoes..and minus the pc? keep in touch with progress. very good the mind still boogles. happy holidays stellar travelers

Invisiblesrivatsa
Stranger

#471945 - 11/28/01 01:09 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Agar wont really work without some nutrients. I would think the same with cardboard. Although I did see that picture of some fruits growing on a roll of toilet paper. Kinda strange looking. So if you wanted to use cardboard I would try something like boiling diced potatoes for about an hour (to get all the nutrients) and soaking the cardboard in it for awhile until it had absorbed a good deal of the water. Note: water and amount of potatoes are proportionate to how much nutrients your getting. Less water and more potatoes means you'll soak up more nutrients in that cardboard. You could do the same with wood shavings. Soak them in potatoe juice or some other nutrients. Agar is fun cause its a gel though :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate