Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStopThat
ManWithNoName

Loc: Homeland
Cardboard as substrate
    #1342526 - 02/28/03 08:19 AM (21 years, 24 days ago)

I was reading in the Growing section of the site,and saw a few mentions of the use of cardboard for substrate. Has anyone tried this with Cubes? Seem to recall that it was used for a wood loving strain. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I was thinking of trying it,but wondered if the potency would suffer from a lack of nutrients.Any suggestions would be welcomed.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Cardboard as substrate [Re: StopThat]
    #1343024 - 02/28/03 12:07 PM (21 years, 24 days ago)

*DING* .. Stop that!  :grin:

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1343031 - 02/28/03 12:10 PM (21 years, 24 days ago)

I have no experience with this, but from what I have read of others experiences.. the cardboard adds nothing for the cubes. They are not woodlovers, and do not deal with it as well as other species, such as oysters or even azures. They will colonize the material, but the bulk of nutes that they will use to fruit, will most likely be from the grain used to spawn it.

Again, this is just what I have heard - i've never tried it myself.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1343064 - 02/28/03 12:33 PM (21 years, 24 days ago)

You will need to spawn the cardboard with grain or a piece of cake. IME spores will not germinate on cardboard. And as others have pointed out, there is a limited amount of nutrients, and cubies probably lack what it takes to break it down. Your better off spawning dung or straw, or just casing the grain.

If your going to cultivate woodloving mushies then you can use the cardboard as substrate but I believe you will have better luck with woodchips. I would suggest just using the cardboard to spawn woodchips, instead of using it as an actual substrate.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Cardboard as substrate [Re: ATWAR]
    #1343272 - 02/28/03 02:38 PM (21 years, 24 days ago)

spores germinate fine on cardboard  :confused:

there just isn't enough nutes for a substantial flush, from what I understood.

I use cardboard pieces to germinate spores onto peroxidated agar plates all the time, works just fine.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Cardboard as substrate [Re: Raadt]
    #1344411 - 03/01/03 05:24 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Interesting, my friend was not sucessful with cardboard spore germination. It has been tried twice, but no growth. Are you talking woodloving species? My friends cubies will not (In HIS experience, I may be wrong again) germinate on cardboard.

This was attempted to get a hang of using cardboard for the upcoming outdoor season. Limited supply of wood loving spores, didnt want to waste them. So he used cube spores instead to see if the method would work, so he could skip the initial grain spawn. Since then all work with cardboard has ceased until the temperature rises above freezing.

This is good information, so basically you could skip the grain to cardboard as I have read about for cultivating the wood lovers, and just multispore the cardboard? (cardboard would then be used to spawn woodchips, he doesnt want grain outside for the birds and animals to mess with)

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Cardboard as substrate [Re: ATWAR]
    #1344884 - 03/01/03 10:59 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

some kinds of cardboard work better then others .
try shredded egg cartons . :smirk:
be sure to pasteurize or pc it . i think cardboard needs a little more air exchange then grain . colonization seems to speedup as the cardboard dries, and for some reason once colonized it won't absorb more water, but it is excellent for spawning woodchips .
if you want to skip the grain step, i would suggest soaking cardboard in potato dextrose to give the mycelium a good start .

OfflineStopThat
ManWithNoName

Loc: Homeland
    #1348287 - 03/03/03 05:19 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks for the advice. Think I will just go with straw this time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate