Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejekojeko
blue thumb
need help for cardboard technique
    #835081 - 08/22/02 04:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

hi! I tried to mix my cakes with cardboard. I crumbled three cakes in a large amount of soaked shredded cardboard. I read it was a very good technique. After a month the mycelium as grown a lot, but I read somewhere else that cardboard is just a medium and that because of that it doesn't favour fruiting. Should I add something more noutricious on the top, like brownrice flour, or the card board is enough? If I have to add somethin, which would be the best way to get no contamination (the water that I used for the cardbord wasn't sterile)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: need help for cardboard technique [Re: jekojeko]
    #835544 - 08/22/02 08:35 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

For what strains?
Carboard is essentially non nutritious for saphrophitic fungi (cubensis, for example).

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlinejekojeko
blue thumb
Re: need help for cardboard technique [Re: DinoMyc]
    #835594 - 08/22/02 09:16 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, it actually is a cubensis strain (pf). So , do you have any adviser on what to do with all that mycelium?

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #835628 - 08/22/02 09:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Knock up some dung with it!

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinejekojeko
blue thumb
Re: need help for cardboard technique [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #838290 - 08/23/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I was able to find some cow manure (about 50% or more of dung and 50%or less of hummus). should I just mix it or should I steam it or what?

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #838718 - 08/23/02 04:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

cubensis does produce the enzymes needed to break down cardboard and other wood products. BUT it takes longer than a species that favors wood. the PF house strain, is as idiot-proof as they come, but i suspect that because of it's inbreeding for cultivation on brown rice flour, that it may perform poorly on straight cardboard. above you see mention of nutrifying with beer or similar licuid nutrient. there have been posts on this subject, and this would probably be your most certain route to fruits. if you are looking for yeild on the other hand, you would be best advised to use the colonized cardboard to innoculate something like pasturized dung or straw or both. if you are worried about contams, then use a lot of the cardboard and not so much of the rest. you could probably take the cardboard pile you have, and split it into layers, adding new substrate inbetween, to make two piles about the size of the one you have.

you have not indicated how comfortable you are with cultivation, as many of us would unhesitatingly use it as innoculant to make as many as five piles that size, but if you are at all unsure, then a fifty-fifty mix is the way to go. the fact that you are using PF tells me that you are a little new to this.

Offlinejekojeko
blue thumb
Re: need help for cardboard technique [Re: tchyted]
    #839950 - 08/24/02 06:16 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

As you guessed, I'm not a fully experienced cultivator. This is my first time trying something besides the brown rice pftek. I ended up putting the 50-50 mannure hummus in the microwave for ten minutes aand I just put a layer of it on top of the almost completly colonized cardbord. I wish I saw the post with the beer. It might haver been safer. Nevertheless, do I have good chanses of seeing some rusults with that kind of substrate? It seems very earthy...

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #840297 - 08/24/02 09:57 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

okay. . . .
lets talk about contams for just a minute. how thick is the layer you put on top? in a case like this i reccomend you keep quantities of new added substrate small. so like an inch thick may be okay.

i reccomend as well that whatever new substrate you add, that you cover it as well as possible with colonized spawn, ie the cardboard you allready have.

think for a sec. the PF cake tek is designed to keep contams from ever landing on your virgin substrate. cardboard is slightly resistant to contams, partly because of chemicals used in manufacturing, partly because of lack of contam-favoring nutrients. if you place nutritious virgin substrate in open air, you are certain to get contamned.

so. . . . you can cover the substrate with a casing material like vermiculite, just like in the PF cake tek.

you can cover the substrate with cardboard that won't promote contams,

you can cover the substrate with colonized material, so that contams that land on it will simply be eaten by the mycelium,

or some or all of the above.

hope this is helpful

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains