Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Mycobolical's set and forget bags * 2
    #27168374 -

Idk about you guys but there is one particular part of this hobby that I really don't care for... cleanup! I know you can line your tubs but I've always kinda found it to be a pain. No offense to anyone who does i just can't be bothered. On top of that there's sanitizing the tub if it gets a green fuzzy visitor. So in the spirit of having something I don't have to mess with once its done I settled on XLS extra large grow bags in stead of tubs. To my surprise they work fantastically as self contained fruiting chambers!

Here's what you'll need to get started:
1. A scale that goes up to at least a kilo
2. A bowl or plate to set aside coir for a top layer
3. A compressed brick of coir. (I buy the 4kg ones)
4. A cup, bow or measuring cup that will hold atleast 750ml of water.
5. 2 quarts or roughly 1kg of spawn.
6. However many XLS bags you want to use. (Preferably with 5 micron filters)
7. Any method to seal the grow bags. I use an impulse sealer but you can use anything from tape to zip ties. It really doesn't matter.

I start with 150g of compressed coir and throw it in a bag.


Then I add 750ml of hot tap water. It doesn't have to be boiling or anything just hot from the tap so that it absorbs evenly into the coir.


Let that set for an hour or 2 so it can absorb and cool. It should look like this when its done.


Now break the coir up. I've found that the easiest way to do it is by rolling up the top of the bag and giving it a good shake. Once thats done rech in and pull out about a handful or two of coir and set it aside for a top layer.


Next, add your spawn. I do half of whatever is in my spawn bag, so usually around 1kg. If you use jars then 2 quarts should be fine.


Next I roll the top of the bag up again and give it another good shake.



Now I level it out and add the top layer.


Be sure to level the top layer.


Finally I seal the bag. Again, anything will do, impulse sealer, microphone tape, scotch tape, it really doesn't matter since its not sterilized inside.


Now place it somewhere that it can get lots of light.


There should be no need to mist or open the bags until its time to harvest. Now fast-forward a couple weeks and...

Edited by Mycobolical (01/25/21 03:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168386 -

:hatsoff:

What the yield per bag your averaging?


--------------------
"You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here."


Edited by Rafiikii (01/25/21 03:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Rafiikii]
    #27168387 -

Around 2oz

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168564 -

I like this.

I’ve been thinking recently that bags might be a good way to go to remove all temptation to mess with my grows. It really drills home the concept of just getting the measurements right during assembly and fucking right off with that misting bottle. No tinkering with FAE because there’s a filter patch, and that’s how much FAE they get. Period.

Yep. Going to try some bag grows.


--------------------


Threads that have been useful to me:
Clean Spawn checklist for new growers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Sold Out Online]
    #27168589 -

Very nice :thumbup:  been thinking about doing something similar with ziplocks, a hole punch and MPT.

Faht

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: fahtster]
    #27168613 -

I do the exact same with the XLS-B bags. Absolutely due to cleaning tubs. I support this lol.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Sphink]
    #27168655 -

Couple days ago I was debating large ziplock bags or going out to buy shoeboxes. Went with shoeboxes in the end because ziplock bags don’t have flat bottoms and I didn’t feel like dealing with potential rolly-poly bullshit.


--------------------


Threads that have been useful to me:
Clean Spawn checklist for new growers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: fahtster]
    #27168811 -

fahtster said:
Very nice :thumbup:  been thinking about doing something similar with ziplocks, a hole punch and MPT.

Faht



You should try! I'd be super interested to see a method that doesn't involve having to order specialty supplies

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168841 -

Bags FTW its where I started :thumbup:
phuck pf cakes

Edited by bw86 (01/25/21 10:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168864 -

awesome stuff

Do you think you could get away with sealing the bags just a bit above the filter? that way one could pack more bags on a shelf. not sure how important plenum size is here.

Edited by junk_f00d (01/25/21 10:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: bw86]
    #27168868 -

Mmmm only small differences. I've seen lots of stuff with manure, using damions elementary coir tek and throwing that in a bag, and similar things in jars. The main differences for mine are the self contained measurements, extremely high spawn rate and omitting verm.
I remember reading that coir holds more moisture than verm so in this context I didn't see much point in using it.

Edit:
The person who asked this question seeks to have changed or removed their post. It was something along the lines of "what makes this different from other bag teks?"

Edited by Mycobolical (01/25/21 11:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168870 -

I wouldn't seal that far down. If you look at the pics on the shelf, what I do is seal up top and then fold right above the filter. The reason being, if you seal close its gonna be hard to re seal for a second flush.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168970 -

Nice write up. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27168999 -

Mycobolical said:
I wouldn't seal that far down. If you look at the pics on the shelf, what I do is seal up top and then fold right above the filter. The reason being, if you seal close its gonna be hard to re seal for a second flush.



Ah, sweet. Sounds like it'll work just fine if I cut it a little higher then. I've been trying to improve my space efficiency as my 66qt monos have tons of dead space in them. Like this idea way more than buying new totes. Hate having so many of those things..

Thanks for the write up!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: junk_f00d]
    #27169005 -

Yup! Lol I have probably 20 of the 44qt tubs sitting in my garage for the same reason. You can get great space efficiency with some cheap home depot shelving and led straps for top down lighting on each shelf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27169076 -

Nice. Similar to what Buddhaking does for his maks. I agree with you on the liner thing, I hate cutting them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Mycobolical]
    #27169151 -

:headbanger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: ModularMind]
    #27169216 -

Nice and efficient way to grow with biodegradable bags. Good for beginners especially.

The only downsides I see is that they don't get much airflow so I'd imagine the density of the fruits isn't the greatest.

It may be ideal to use less spawn as well, maybe around 1qt because of the limited surface area, looks to be about the size of a shoebox or less.

I will keep it in mind for an awesome novelty.

Cleaning out tubs is not necessary, if you had trich there may be some spores on the plastic walls, but nothing more than you would be introducing to the tub when making it anyway.

Coir does not contaminate easily, you could leave it in open air for weeks and nothing would grow on it. The Mycelium would always out-race the germination of trich in coir, trich in tubs comes from spawn which it can easily germinate if enough spores were introduced early on as the myc was beginning to colonize, trich does not easily germinate in coir, or on healthy Mycelium/colonized grain.

There is also a specific liner bag you can use that fits perfectly in tubs by just pulling it off the roll it just fits right in with adequate side depth for about a brick of coir, the only thing you do is tape it to secure it.

Monotubs are designed to be set and forget, you shouldn't be needing to make any alterations to them once you spawn, rather than maybe opening some holes for extra air flow once the pinset is developed.

These bags are great and efficient, but you are limited to your surface area and depth to work with and minimal if any air flow. If you cut the bag down after pinset forms to allow good airflow, it might work out and then rehydrate and tape it back up for a second flush


--------------------
"In The Material World One seeks retirement and grows Old
In The Magical World One seeks Enlightenment and grows Wiser
In The Miraculous World One seeks nothing and grows Lighter
As we all tread the Homeward Path we will explore many Realms
And one day... we will all Realize that all experiences are Simply
Different ways in which The
All-That Is
Perceives Itself"

Edited by Eclipse3130 (01/25/21 02:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: ModularMind]
    #27169218 -

Pretty sweet! I have a few random jars that I'd normally top fruit but I'm going to give this a try instead.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mycobolical's set and forget bags [Re: Eclipse3130]
    #27169244 -

Eclipse3130 said:
Nice and efficient way to grow with biodegradable bags. Good for beginners especially.

The only downsides I see is that they don't get much airflow so I'd imagine the density of the fruits isn't the greatest.

It may be ideal to use less spawn as well, maybe around 1qt because of the limited surface area, looks to be about the size of a shoebox or less.

I will keep it in mind for an awesome novelty.

Cleaning out tubs is not necessary, if you had trich there may be some spores on the plastic walls, but nothing more than you would be introducing to the tub when making it anyway.

Coir does not contaminate easily, you could leave it in open air for weeks and nothing would grow on it. The Mycelium would always out-race the germination of trich in coir, trich in tubs comes from spawn which it can easily germinate if enough spores were introduced early on as the myc was beginning to colonize, trich does not easily germinate in coir, or on healthy Mycelium/colonized grain.

There is also a specific liner bag you can use that fits perfectly in tubs by just pulling it off the roll it just fits right in with adequate side depth for about a brick of coir, the only thing you do is tape it to secure it.



On the topic of spawn, there are a few reasons for the abnormally high ration. I keep the room on the cooler side at between 70 and 72°f. The high spawn ratio helps to cut down on my colonization times since it is a little cool in there. The lower temps help to keep the fruit from becoming big lanky messes. Here is a random sample pulled from that same harvest

I would be curious to see if I would get a higher yield to spawn ratio by dropping it down a bit though.

Edited by Mycobolical (01/25/21 02:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Can one use a regular ziplock bag to colonize spawn? Rudiger420 2,110 7 04/17/04 12:29 AM
by Derek
* why do people use spawn bags?
( 1 2 all )
shirley knott 20,311 34 08/30/03 10:03 AM
by OJK
* Myco Bags.........Great or what!???????
( 1 2 3 all )
Sillycybe 7,302 45 07/05/04 01:13 AM
by matts
* A few questions about Rye Berry spawn bags.... ModestMouserrrrr 9,112 11 06/20/03 10:38 PM
by ModestMouserrrrr
* spawn bag n00b questions MinimumEfrt2 2,127 4 06/28/04 12:42 AM
by MinimumEfrt2
* spawn bags buckeye 1,831 9 01/24/04 10:51 AM
by shroomstruck
* MYCO BAG BLISS
( 1 2 all )
Sypriss 6,697 35 02/25/02 05:51 AM
by psilocyber
* Hardly anyone uses bags....
( 1 2 3 4 all )
micro 9,776 61 10/19/10 01:24 PM
by sandman420

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,306 topic views. 19 members, 110 guests and 147 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.