Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

Myco Bags.........Great or what!???????
    #2839991 - 06/29/04 03:27 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

I have been using mycobags from mycobag.com for quite some time now. Using their pre-sterilzed goods has personally saved me tons of time and money.............Onto my question.............

Is there possibly an easier way??????????

If there is I want to know about it.

I am conducting a thorough search to find the best mushroom products available.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Sillycybe (06/29/04 03:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRusty
The lonemushroomer

Loc: Texas
Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: Sillycybe]
    #2840096 - 06/29/04 04:05 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I know of no cheaper more efficient way of growing shrooms except for jars.

--------------------
The eagle may soar, but the weasel never gets sucked up into a jet intake.

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: Rusty]
    #2840233 - 06/29/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

My first assumption was jars. But even jars have a higher contamination rate.... I am having trouble finding an easier method....

In the world of mushrooms I am concluding that Mycobags are one the highest quality products EVER invented for cultivation purposes.

There are even bags made specifically for spawn, and for sclerotia.

So how do you beat that!???/

With ALL of the people that linger on the shroomery, NO ONE can find a better method than Mycobags(tm)!????

Seems like we have a winner!

--------------------
"Some say we'll see armagedon soon...I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation."

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
    #2840234 - 06/29/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Those are some nice Reishi you have growing there :smile:
Very nice nice indeed. reishi are my favorite.
What are those growing in? are those large wood bags?

MycoBag

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2840284 - 06/29/04 04:46 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

From what I've seen, there is no other cheaper more efficient way of growing mushrooms than using Myco Bags.

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2840344 - 06/29/04 05:03 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Yes, the reishis are fruiting from the side of a LARGE WOODLAND BAG. These were also purchased from www.mycobag.com!!!!

Reishis are excellent immune system boosters.

--------------------
"Some say we'll see armagedon soon...I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation."

Offlinehugo
tuna fish

#2840390 - 06/29/04 05:20 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

they look fun but if u learn from pf tek and move of to advanced casings you get way more yield all in time =]

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: hugo]
    #2840486 - 06/29/04 05:46 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Casings take work... not much... but still...

Mycobags are fire, and forget.

Those large bags hold a shitload (pun intended) of substrate.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2840644 - 06/29/04 06:37 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

There are some more "efficient" ways to do cultivation, or bulk cultivation of many different types of mushrooms. However to get the same kind of results, say from Reishi mushroom cultivation, as you do with those wood based MycoBags then you would have to have the abillity to load and sterilize large amounts of sawdust into bags in your own cookers. Or you would have to work with the traditional plug spawn methods and wait 4-5 months for colonization and work on seasonal cycles.

MycoBags are great devices, they were certainly designed to make mushroom cultivation easier for a majority of those out there. Some people like to go through the expense and trouble of doing it on their own, but for a lot of people the time and ultimate cost savings of MycoBags are worth it even in the long run (kind of like how a lot of people like to work on their own cars because they LIKE to not because it saves them money). It depends I guess if you are someone that is really into the tinkering needed to do it on your own, or if you are someone that is really into easy methods where most of the work is done for you.

I personally like bags for growing out all types of edibles because the MycoFactory has done a wonderful job creating "matrix" environments in those bags which support a WIDE variety of mushroom fruitings. For example, the wood bags will support: Shiitake, Agrocybe aegeria (black poplar), Reishi, Lion's Mane, and even Oyster Mushrooms.

If it makes you feel anybetter most major mushroom farming operations do their fruiting from bag environments. While they usually maintain grain masters (instead of doing culture syringe injections) they are essentially doing the same thing as you, but their equipment is a bit beefier :wink:.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: ImOver18]
    #2840931 - 06/29/04 07:57 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Growing in jars is certainly cheaper and more efficient, if you're going to keep growing. For a one-shot, yeah, nothing can beat mycobags.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: Sev]
    #2842717 - 06/30/04 07:49 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Hey Sev,
I've been thinking more about the jars, and I am still not finding it to be more efficient. (or have a lesser risk of contamination)

If you experiment with Mycobags, you will see that each individual bag has a purpose all it's own. Some bags(such as the Corn-E-Morph bag)are used as colonization tools, such as jars are used for colonization.....Other bags, such as the infamous MYCOBAG(tm), are specially designed for colonization and fruiting WITHOUT HAVING TO INTRODUCE ANY FRESH AIR OR H2O INTO THE ENVIRONMENT. It's a hands-free method, which guarantees to be CONTAMINATION FREE!

I have searched high and low, low and high, and to this day i can not find a more practical, sensible, efficient product for home mushroom cultivation. And ALL of their products are GUARANTEED.

Cultivation used to be complex, and now its as simple as planting a seed.........What could be better.........NOT JARS!?

Mycobags make contamination problems obsolete.

--------------------

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

#2842735 - 06/30/04 08:06 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Psilocyber,

Mycobag.com has very reasonable prices.  You would think that such a great line of products would be more expensive for the convenience, but their prices blew me away, comparing price to efficiency and over-all production yield.

QUOTE from Psilocyber "There are some more "efficient" ways to do cultivation, or bulk cultivation of many different types of mushrooms. However to get the same kind of results, say from Reishi mushroom cultivation, as you do with those wood based MycoBags then you would have to have the ability to load and sterilize large amounts of sawdust into bags in your own cookers. Or you would have to work with the traditional plug spawn methods and wait 4-5 months for colonization and work on seasonal cycles.

ANSWER: Psilocyber,  I can't see trying to imitate the product if its already perfected.  These products are probably more difficult to produce than you might think.  Pressure cookers take hours of patience, having things such as bag sealers and such might not be accessible to everyone.
Thats what their paid to do.....Produce great products, that save people time and money. And that is what they have done.  I commend them for their efforts to help make cultivation easier and less time consuming for the consumer! :P :P :smile:

But none the less................IT IS UNANIMOUS, MYCOBAGS WIN OVER JARS ANYDAY!

--------------------

Edited by Sillycybe (06/30/04 02:25 PM)

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #2842775 - 06/30/04 08:25 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

OMG , what's the deal here guys? This thread sounds like a damn infomercial!

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: billbraski]
    #2842831 - 06/30/04 08:54 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

billbraski said:
OMG , what's the deal here guys? This thread sounds like a damn infomercial!

And not only will you receive the grab bag of MycoBags for the incredible price of 3 easy installments of $19.95, but we're going to throw in the patented quick mushroom deydrator for absolutely free!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Silly, I know exactly what goes into the production of MycoBag's product line. It's a lot more complex than what most people suspect. I was commenting that for people interested in larger scale cultivation methods there are probably cheaper ways to "DIY" (like loading and sterilizing your own bulk spawn bags, ect) but for a majority of those browsing message boards like the Shroomery, the presterilized bags are definitely the way to go if they are looking for consistant and easy results.

I was also pointing out that even most large scale commercial farming operations use bag related products for their own spawn generation and in many cases fruiting containers. At our farm in Jamaica we utilize the empty gussetted bags for master spawn production (because jars are VERY hard to find down there and I can only carry so many on a plane at a time). We also utilize a more "local" version of the fruiing bag and use it to load substrate and create fruiting blocks for our Oyster Mushroom production. It's really cool how well these things work, and down there it is a testiment to how much you can get away with in not using Jars for big portions of your growing operations. For us the bags are light and 100's can be packed, carried, or even shipped at a time. I think I weighed it last time I went down and for the weight and space taken up by 12 quart jars in their box I could carry down 700 empty spawn bags.

Jar growing does have it's own appeal, as I said, mainly for those that really like to 'tinker' and try to minimalize their expenses over the long run by trying to DIY. But there are limits to jar methods because somewhere along the way you'll have to get into bulk spawning if you want to increase your harvests and yeilds, and even then using the empty spawn bags sold by people like Mycobag will make this even easier (and not very costly).

Hell, it's not like I'm trying to argue with you, MycoBag.com is our sister company after all. It does say something about the usefulness and the quality of the product when customers like yourself feel the need to recommend the product so highly. I know the guys at MycoBag are doing something right when I read posts such as yours, and from many other people, talking about how happy they have been using this product.

OfflineNazrula
journeyman
    #2843303 - 06/30/04 01:31 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, kinda hard to beat 1000 bags for $250 = .25/bag. That's worth it over having to clean and re-sterilize jars.

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: Nazrula]
    #2843493 - 06/30/04 02:28 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I just don't think that it is possible to find a better method. Even through hours of searching.

Why try to down a great thing. When the price is right, and the products are great......Why not spread the good news.

If it 'floats your boat' to experiment and use the trial and error method, Hey thats great, but I'm just saying that these guys have it nailed.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2843513 - 06/30/04 02:33 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I got 100 bags for .30 each with shipping from mycobag through ebay (they have an ebay account). Mycobags are by far the most effecint way of grwoing it saves me tons of time and i can steralize 2x as much spawn in one PC run. I still love the simplicty of jar and use then to start cultures but basg are the shit. My advice to any serios shroomer buy 100 bags build a flowhood and buy a sealer.

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #2844572 - 06/30/04 08:03 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

hmmm dood , sorry to burst your bubble but... check out this picture.
The large bag on the left is straight worm castings pasteurized in the microwave for 10 minutes and spawned with pf-tek style spawn. The picture depicts it being at 1 week colonization. The smaller bag is colonized pf-tek which you can fruit as is or use to spawn bulk substrate. It is not that hard.  :wink:

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
Re: Myco Bags.........Great or what!??????? [Re: billbraski]
    #2845527 - 07/01/04 01:11 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

can u sterilize a bag by just poppin it in the microwave for 10 mins?

Invisiblematts
matts

#2845709 - 07/01/04 02:23 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation