Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Death
    #2699721 - 05/19/04 01:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

After an intense night of thinking about things..it has come to my attention that death, in every sense of the word equals potential.

The death of your established cultural programming..the death of your ego..the death of your physical attachements..the death of anything.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the word DEATH implys nothing more than NEGATIVITY in these times? as far as I can tell, it could, and probably SHOULD be looked at as a very positive thing..

How can something that directly points in the direction of POTENTIAL automatically be labeled as something negative?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Death [Re: ekomstop]
    #2699726 - 05/19/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Without rebirth, death won't accomplish anything :wink:

Happy birthday!  :flowerchild:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2699839 - 05/19/04 02:57 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Is it just me, or does it seem like the word DEATH implys nothing more than NEGATIVITY

----well, seeing how death is something you, or at least I, try to avoid as much as possible, then it is intrinsicly negative.

it could, and probably SHOULD be looked at as a very positive thing..

- how so? maybe when you're 100 years old and suffering, yeah, death is good, youve had your run, but up until that point, Im not so keen on jumping into a wormhole.

"How can something that directly points in the direction of POTENTIAL"

--I dont follow. The potential for what? the potential to rot in hell for eternity???? or the potential to be reborn as a marmaduke? death is a risky game, like rolling dice for high stakes, it has negative and positive potential. But since life is so grand, the negative is more apparent.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2699930 - 05/19/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I would like to believe that death helps make life possible..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Death [Re: Strumpling]
    #2700215 - 05/19/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You mean like in the Lion King when the king explains to the cub that the lions kill antelopes to eat, and in turn the lions one day die and fertilize a mid-day snack's worth of grass?

This is what happens when you don't have to rationalize your animal nature and you do.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2700561 - 05/19/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"going to the showers is the best part of the game"
(attributed to dr. jubal harshaw)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2701242 - 05/19/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree that death points to potential. If life were everlasting, we would have no incentive to do anything great. Just like Utnapishtim (the Sumerian Noah) who is given immortality and lays at ease through all his days at the place where the two rivers meet.

Death gives value to life, just as suffering gives value to joy.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2701570 - 05/19/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

We are born into the world with the inevitability of death. Honestly, how could it be a bad thing. We were somehow entered into the experience of life, and death is merely the exit. This would mean we would return to wathever state we were in before our birth (or possible reincarnate, but who knows :smile: ). I cannot understand how people think of death negatively. The unknown does not need to be feared.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2701883 - 05/19/04 02:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Sure, life and death are unsplittable inflicted within themselves... they turn and twist and both can be either positive and/or negative - often in opposition...

But more often, as existence is like a dream in a rush, we often despite death to the death - and grasp our luck, to one tiny piece and hit of the large cake called 'existence' - in conscious life.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2701898 - 05/19/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Fearing death is sooooo not cool these days.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: Death [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2702596 - 05/19/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
You mean like in the Lion King when the king explains to the cub that the lions kill antelopes to eat, and in turn the lions one day die and fertilize a mid-day snack's worth of grass?

This is it, essentially.  On the physical side of things, anyway :smile:

I find it kind of funny I ended up spending a long period of time last night curled up in a little ball on the verge of puking to realize something Disney could have put into perspective a long time ago. 

:popcorn:

Offlineshamanality
    #2702698 - 05/19/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, i enjoyed the thread, and as far as my two cents go:

i think death is, as most have stated, an integral part of this life. since the conception of self, death has demanded attention and deliberation. people had thus to create belief systems that could be passed on, and expanded upon (culture, and memetic movement.

unfortunatly our western mind with science in mind, has not felt it urgent to attempt to quantify these phenomena of life.

if i am not mistaken, the egyptian belief systems taught, life was a practice for death, an opportunity to realize the potential of the universe, before you become the potential of the universe.

good day.

OfflineJeeLiX
Sober
 User Gallery

Loc: Toostoned, AZ
Re: Death [Re: deff]
    #2703376 - 05/19/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It could be a bad thing. Fear of the unknown is natural instinct.
Do you believe you have a soul?

--------------------
"If you don't stand up for somethin, you'll fall for anything." Martin L. King

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: Death [Re: shamanality]
    #2704872 - 05/20/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shamanality said:
i think death is, as most have stated, an integral part of this life.

Death is the end of life. That leaves the question, "What is life?"

Quote:

unfortunatly our western mind with science in mind, has not felt it urgent to attempt to quantify these phenomena of life.

Have you ever heard of biology? Biology is the scientific discipline that attempts to define (yes, define, "life" is difficult for science to even define) and understand life.

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2704904 - 05/20/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Life is death.Death is life.There is no distinction between life and death.There is no such thing as positive/negative,good/evil.There is also no duality.All is one.One is all.Life and death are two parts of one cycle and are not polar opposites as they are depicted.There is no duality.There is only oneness.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#2706526 - 05/20/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm afraid of death! I think it's only natural. I still have way too much to do before I die. Mostly women and drugs, but that's still a lot I have to do :smile:

--------------------

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: Death [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2706551 - 05/20/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i don't think death shold be viewed as a bad thing at all. sure it will take time to get over a loss. but humans are suppose to move on, it's how we grow and learn.
death is just an experence waiting to happen

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2706650 - 05/20/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

To be honest, I'm very curious about what awaits with death. That's not to say I can't be patient, and enjoy life as well, which I do :smile:

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

#2707651 - 05/20/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phencyclidine said:Death is the end of life. That leaves the question, "What is life?"

"Death" as we know it can be the end of this life..as we know it.  But I think life can in some sense be looked at as another way of defining a kind of existance.  I don't quite see a reason to assume our death is the end of our existance.. (in whatever sense this may imply..)

Quote:

jux said:
I'm afraid of death! I think it's only natural. I still have way too much to do before I die. Mostly women and drugs, but that's still a lot I have to do :smile:

I really don't think theres a whole lot to be afraid of.  Though, the more attachements you might have here might complicate the transition a little..

As Positronious said:
The potential for what? the potential to rot in hell for eternity???? or the potential to be reborn as a marmaduke? death is a risky game, like rolling dice for high stakes, it has negative and positive potential. But since life is so grand, the negative is more apparent.

He has a point, as yes I would think there is the potential to go either way.  However I don't agree that "life is so grand, the negative is more apparent" ...It totally depends on the individual, I think.. I think the trick is to shed the fears you might have developed while stuck here and then (hopefully) there shouldn't be much to be afraid of when the time comes. 

Acheiving the death of your ego some time in your life might be a good means of preparation for this.  Everyone who has experienced ego loss I'm sure knows it has a very distinct (intense) 'feeling' on your perception.  I mean..if death equals the ultimate realization of potential in every which way..then real physical death must hit you with quite a buzz!

:whoa:

..be ready for it.  :mushroom2:

Edited by ekomstop (05/20/04 06:23 PM)

Anonymous

#2707927 - 05/20/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

educate yourselves further

www.near-death.com www.iands.org

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds