Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
Re: rubber stopper and syringe
    #26884 - 08/03/00 05:53 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

waitwaitwait..... whaaaaaat?

Ok, I get it now. Here's what to do. First use rubbing alcohaul on the cotton ball instead of h2o2 (then flame).... And before you inject the spores, stick your 4 pre-cut peices of tape on the edge of your jar(s) where the holes are so as you remove the needle you can simply fold them over and save yourself precious seconds of air-exposure time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

#26886 - 08/03/00 11:40 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Those black dots are spore clumps! Not rubber. I'd find it hard to believe that rubber would be floating there. Those syringes are made for people and animals, and I don't think they break down that easy (althought they ARE disposable, so they don't last forever).

The other poster was right. Use RUBBING alcohol to clean the needle along with a flame. If you are using the oven don't turn it up high! turn it very very low and keep the door open and the bottom rack out a few inches to place the jars on.

Also turn off air cond/heat, and spray lysel OR bleach water throughout the room 10 mins before you start. wear rubber gloves and a dust mask. I've seen the dust masks at the dollar store for 5/$1 sometimes.

Do this right and I guarentee you shrooms. This is the most important part of the process iMHO

Anonymous

#26887 - 08/03/00 11:54 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

My biggest time wasting problem when I innoculated was dealing with the packing tape. I had to remove one rubber glove to get the tape off and then getting it back on just sucked.
Anyway, I read another post that said to use electrical tape in the beginnning so that you can just puncture the tape with the syringe then seal the hole with another piece of electrical tape.
Just a thought that it could save time peeling off that damn tape while allowing you to still wear disposable type gloves without problems . . . .

OfflineChangLee
enthusiast
    #26888 - 08/03/00 02:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

if it IS rubber floating around (which is almost definitely NOT the case. . ) it won't hurt anything. The rubber is sterile, along with the rest of the syringe. Additionally, rubber is non-digestible, so if it WAS, and you DID eat it, it wouldn't hurt you. It's clumps of spores, my cat says.

Next. . .im my cat's opinion, removing the plunger would contaminate the liquid inside--don't do it!!

Lastly, instead of tape, why not use a small dot of aquarium sealant? (silicone) This way, you can pierce thru it to innoculate, without the worry of replacing tape.

Just one guy's opinion.

------------------
"God is Dead" Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead" God

[This message has been edited by ChangLee (edited August 03, 2000).]

--------------------
". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation