Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleh0ldthedoor
HODOR
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: North of The Wall
Re: Alcohol to kill living mold and spores? [Re: goodnightmoon]
    #23546333 - 08/16/16 08:59 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

goodnightmoon said:
Guys, Is 70% alcohol not kill mold spores?

The reason I ask this is this: I got contamination (unknown kind, possibly penicillium?) two times in a row. I made everything just fine. And I thinked, this can be a cause.

This two times I made the spore syringes differently. Instead of microwaving the water with a lid, I just sucked boiling water into the syr. to have sterile water -no prob. with that. But you need something to put in it. So I taken a shot glass, washed with tea tree soap very well, after dried washed throughoutly with an cotton wool soaked in 70% alcohol. Waited for evap., used the sterile water in a syringes for the glass to scrape things in and make the sp. syringe. All in a clean environment -like I used to do without failure.. :frown: until now. They grow something else after five days. If not the spore print was already contam-en, that this could be a error factor?

Cotton wool is not sterile and i cleaned the glass with it. Even with alc, if it doesn't kill moldes it's a bad thing to put. I thought alc. sanitize it very much because its strong stuff. I used to do microwaving the water, hot temp is much better imho.

So it can be that with alc. soaked cotton wool that the contam get into the glass? Like I read: it doesnt kill MOLD spores. This can cause a contam? Anyway, id ont like alcohol for it, because you have to wait for evap. for sure. I'm afraid if not, it kills the mushy spores.

What the truth..about alcohol?:laugh:

Did you do your work in a SAB?

Where did the fruit come from that produced the spore print?

What medium was the cap printed on (paper, foil, wax paper, etc)? Was the medium sterilized? If foil was used, and was not sterilized; next time sterilize it by PC'ing before using it to make a spore print. This won't eliminate all contaminates present since you'll still be introducing a non-sterile mushroom cap to the mix, but it might help you to reduce the likelihood of having to deal with contaminates once you being to work with the spore print.

What tek are you following?

If you're working with a spore print you collected yourself, check out agar. It will give you a lot more flexibility than whatever you're doing now. Here's an easy way to make some agar plates https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Also, why resurrect an old thread that already answered your initial question for something that deserves it's own thread? Go back to the first page and read through for answers to your questions about alochol.

--------------------
Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you.

– Petyr Baelish

Edited by h0ldthedoor (08/16/16 09:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: Alcohol to kill living mold and spores? [Re: h0ldthedoor]
    #23546478 - 08/16/16 10:07 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

No, 70% alcohol doesn't kill mold spores and you shouldn't wipe anything with unsterilized cotton.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Offlinegoodnightmoon
Stranger
Re: Alcohol to kill living mold and spores? [Re: h0ldthedoor]
    #23546557 - 08/16/16 10:52 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

What medium was the cap printed on (paper, foil, wax paper, etc)? Was the medium sterilized? If foil was used, and was not sterilized; next time sterilize it by PC'ing before using it to make a spore print. This won't eliminate all contaminates present since you'll still be introducing a non-sterile mushroom cap to the mix, but it might help you to reduce the likelihood of having to deal with contaminates once you being to work with the spore print.

If you're working with a spore print you collected yourself, check out agar. It will give you a lot more flexibility than whatever you're doing now. Here's an easy way to make some agar plates https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Also, why resurrect an old thread that already answered your initial question for something that deserves it's own thread? Go back to the first page and read through for answers to your questions about alochol.

Should I put this to a new thread? I'll answer your question and I'll see.

it's off-topic now:

The print I get from FSRE (Free Spore Ring). I used it fsre before, without problem.
The process: I used to inoculate in the bathroom after big bath, when moisture evaporated on the wall, doors closed. It works like a "SAB" somehow. It was good everytime. The air is not moving, etc. I steamed the jars for 100 min, but after innoc I realized the verm layer is shifted back 1 centimeter (it wasn't wet), it was putted tin foil, rubber, everything during steam. Could be a problem. But its the second run now with same problem. The syringes I made as I mentioned above. Cleaning the shot glass with alcohol soaked cotton wool before adding the sterilized water. It can be problem if it doesnt kill mold spores like the ones are on the c. wool. Yep, this time the print was little, it was on a tin foil, but like 1 cm diameter, not too much. Thanks for agar link, I thought about agar, good thing :smile:

ps: I put into a new thread if needed, just these single question I had now.

Thanks

Invisibleh0ldthedoor
HODOR
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: North of The Wall
Re: Alcohol to kill living mold and spores? [Re: goodnightmoon]
    #23546630 - 08/16/16 11:35 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

h0ldthedoor said:

Quote:

goodnightmoon said:
Should I put this to a new thread? I'll answer your question and I'll see.

it's off-topic now:

The print I get from FSRE (Free Spore Ring). I used it fsre before, without problem.
The process: I used to inoculate in the bathroom after big bath, when moisture evaporated on the wall, doors closed. It works like a "SAB" somehow. It was good everytime. The air is not moving, etc. I steamed the jars for 100 min, but after innoc I realized the verm layer is shifted back 1 centimeter (it wasn't wet), it was putted tin foil, rubber, everything during steam. Could be a problem. But its the second run now with same problem. The syringes I made as I mentioned above. Cleaning the shot glass with alcohol soaked cotton wool before adding the sterilized water. It can be problem if it doesnt kill mold spores like the ones are on the c. wool. Yep, this time the print was little, it was on a tin foil, but like 1 cm diameter, not too much. Thanks for agar link, I thought about agar, good thing :smile:

ps: I put into a new thread if needed, just these single question I had now.

Thanks

Yes, make a new thread.

FSRE is doing good by providing free spore prints, but those spore prints are likely contaminated with all kinds of fun stuff. Given the print traveled from the field/tub, to where it was printed, to FSRE, to you, it's unlikely you could create a clean spore syringe from it.

If agar has your attention, make up some pasty plates (following the link provided above) and you're on your way to success.

Now onto your working environment, here is my last post, it applies just as much in this thread as it did the other

Quote:

h0ldthedoor said:
"Clean" doesn't cut it. By working in open air, anything and everything floating in the room becomes another possible threat to your grow. You don't want this. You want to work in an area with no drafts, gusts, breezes or currents. It's not so important that the area be sterile, so much as the tools you're working with.

You need to be doing work in at least a Still Air Box. Not to be confused with a glove box, which you don't want. The point of a Still Air Box is to keep the air still, if you go taping gloves to the only openings on the box, it's going to inevitably create a billow effect every time you insert and remove your hands from the gloves (with the air entering and exiting through the only other openings, the cracks between the lid and container itself). Again, the point of a Still Air Box is to keep the air still.

Again what's important is not to have a totally sterile working environment, but rather an environment where contaminates won't land on what you're working with. Before beginning work in a Still Air Box, give it a quick misting with plain tap water and then wipe the entire inside of the Box so that it's still moist. This moisture on the interior of the Still Air Box should catch any contaminates that may be moving around. As attractive as a Glove Box may look with it's fancy built-in gloves, it's counterproductive and not what you need.

Basically a Still Air Box (SAB) is just a large tub with two large holes cut into one side for your arms to go through. Those large clear plastic storage tubs are perfect for this, though other things can be repurposed into a SAB. For example, https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23530167#23530167 is a fine example of repurposing existing materials into a nice SAB.

--------------------
Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you.

– Petyr Baelish

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale